P90x in my 3rd floor apartment... Advice?

Options
Ok, so I was doing a Bootcamp class 5 days a week, but they went an doubled the price:noway: , so I am outta there.... But, my husband and I both want to try P90X, but we live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. I understand there is a lot of jumping involved? Is there anyone who has/is doing P90X and can tell me if there is a way to adjust some of the jumping moves so my neighbors don't want to kill me?? Is it a ton of jumping? And could we maybe cut out the jumping altogether or would that basically take all the benifits away? Any suggestions?

Thank You! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• humorous2me
    humorous2me Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you and hubby do it together, it is only a little time each day. You could let the neighbors know what you are up to and maybe they could offer a few guidelines (such as I put my baby to sleep at 8:00 pm...could you be done by then).

Maybe you could invite the neighbors to work out at the same time!
  • amandab1669
    amandab1669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it is good that you are thinking about your neighbors but you have to get your workout in. As long as you are doing it at a decent time I don't think you should have an issue. You don't want to compromise your workout because you don't want to bother somebody else. They will get over it. And if you feel bad about all the jumping tell your neighbors in advance that between a certain time you will be working out that includes jumping so they know what to expect. Just don't comprimise your workout and results.
  • Nelliebird1430
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I don't know why I didn't think of talking to them and letting them know! They are super cool, and I'm sure they would understand! :flowerforyou:
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The majority of jumping is really only during the Plyometrics workout. You do that once a week. Some of the warm ups will have you jogging in place, so I guess if you're heavy footed, it might get loud downstairs. :smile:

Using a jump mat would soften some of that sound AND it's good for your joints. Double score!

Great workout though. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
  • Mattgd24
    Mattgd24 Posts: 31
    Options
    a yoga mat would work..i wouldnt suggest going without shoes, that could hurt...make sure you get a good pull up bar tho! the door way ones are good but you gotta make sure it's secure

plyo will be the only thing to worry about tho.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you and hubby do it together, it is only a little time each day. You could let the neighbors know what you are up to and maybe they could offer a few guidelines (such as I put my baby to sleep at 8:00 pm...could you be done by then).

Maybe you could invite the neighbors to work out at the same time!

LOL I like this idea!:) Who knows...you may make a new workout buddy:)
  • Nelliebird1430
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions, and I am glad to know that the jumping is mostly one day a week, that was really my main concern! I will also look into a Jump Mat!! Looks like the Hubby and I are going to look into purchasing it! I hear nothing but awesome things about it! Now Im excited!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    If you do plyometrics right you shouldn't make much noise. Soft controlled landings are very important if you care about your knees. Its when you land hard and flat footed that you make noise.
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    in our old apt, I always wondered about exercise noise (treadmill)-- even our cats running around!! they sound like a heard of elephants at times. Anyways, we just talked to our neighbor and she was wonderful. Said she never heard anything... Later on we realized that she was a sweet elderly lady who may not have heard us because of hearing loss anyway!! hehe

my husband says that there is some jumping in the cardio workout too (besides the plyo)! have fun and hope they don't call the cops on ya'!!! :smile:
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It really depends. The majority of the jumping is in the plyometrics and even the kenpo, but if you're doing it right you shouldn't make much noise, the goal is to land softly and quietly. It's like the ultimate test lol and occasionally in other workouts they'll have you do a jump and twist or a jump in the air and back down to assist with your workout moves and theres usually a little jumping in every warm up (jumping jacks, etc)
  • ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    Tonys quote is "Think like a cat"...most moves are supposed to be done light footed so as long as you do it as such you should be fine. Jump knee tucks and rockstar hops are kinda tough to stay light footed but just remember..Think like a cat!!!

Also what someone said above about asking your neighbor when would work best prolly will help put your mind at ease too!
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    a yoga mat would work..i wouldnt suggest going without shoes, that could hurt...

I do all my workouts with no shoes. I strength train at home and have always done it barefoot. I've been doing P90X for a few weeks now and every workout has been barefoot.