Are you eating your exercise calories burned?

Options
Fit147
Fit147 Posts: 209 Member
I am curious as to how many people are eating their exercise calories burned. I consider it my hedge...if I go over by 50-100 calories I don't feel bad as I have banked at least 300 burned a day. What do you do?

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I only eat back a portion. My MFP goal for 1lb a week is 1700 calories. I exercise 500-600 calories worth a day, sometimes more, but try to stay under 2000 calories regardless. I try to be as accurate as I can with my calorie and exercise counts, but I figure I'm really eating more and exercising less than I think I am.

So, yeah, we kind of do the same thing.
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I normally eat some or all of them back, but I only track my cardio. I do cardio, then lift weights intensly (read: heavy) for about 45 minutes to an hour. I figure my weightlifting is my bank in case my food weights are off or if I want to have a beer after dinner with my wife, but the cardio is more of a tool to allow me to eat a bit more or have 2 beers!

80% of this is made in the kitchen, hit your calorie goals and the weight will come off. I'm down about 15lbs since March 22nd and I basically eat what I want, just make sure I'm at or under my calories most days of the week. Log it all and you can't go wrong!
  • karebear26
    karebear26 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay at 1200 calories a day and do not eat my "burned" off calories. My feeling is, i am trying to take off the pounds, i dont want to eat wehat i have burned. my goal is set for 1500 so i think i do pretty well with what im doing
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use them as a buffer if I'm hungry but never set out to replace them. I dipped about 150 in last night becuase I wanted a cookie. I'm set at 1.5 a week and I've been averaging 2 lbs a week over the last 50 days. So, I could eat those calories back but I don't mind the extra weight loss. I tend to eat lightly during the day and have 900 or so calories to use on dinner and evening snacks. So, I rarely need my exercise calories to feel satisfied in the evenings.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat every last savory bite of them..... Nom Nom Nom Nom....... :-)
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them back my max calorie allowance for the day is 1940 Calories. With working out many times my calorie intake is reduced to 600 - 800 calories. I will typically eat back till my net calories are around 1200 to 1400.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Well, I somehow went over today because I portioned my steak too big, so I was definitely happy to burn them off. Hopefully it all works out, it certainly worked out great for Ed Davenport!!!!
  • chellebubblz
    chellebubblz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think it's very important to eat back what you burn. I never understood this until I read about BMR and TDEE. But following TDEE and eating back calories, at least for me, ends up being the same thing. My TDEE is 2400 calories. MFP calculated my calorie as 1390 and I burn on average 1100 calories a day on most days. So it's around the same. I never am able to eat that much, it's just TOO MUCH for me. So I do try to get as close as possible but I don't kill myself if I can't do it. I just make sure my net is not in the negative value.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    some days i do and others not. depends on if i am hungry. when i do NOT eat them back, i lose more weight.
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    I don't, but I'm in a fat shredder phase, where I want to burn as much of that fat as possible. I'm adding muscle as well, so it hasn't hindered that progress. I understand the idea behind it, but until I get down to my goal weight, I'm not fixing what's working for me.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I eat them if i want to
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I do not eat them. I set a calorie goal for myself which takes into account my activity level.
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    If anything, I'll allow myself a little extra indulgence (an extra slice of cheese on my sandwich or a single serving of chips) because I've earned it. I'm not going to scarf down something just because I have the calories to spare.