Fast food all the time?

Options
2»

Replies

• blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It is quick, easy and taste great (we think), but fast food is killing us. One of the first things I changed was to STOP going through the drive thru and start planning my meals in advance so when I am hungry I can make a smart choice. I carry a small cooler with me when I am out with the children running errands or at work. It is full of quick hands on snacks that help curve the cravings while I am away from home. Once a week take a day to plan out your meals/snacks for the week and have it all ready for when you walk through the door tired and hungry. It does take time, but in the long run it is so worth it and is much cheaper than grabbing a meal in a sack everyday. I know one of the big reasons I got so heavy was because I ate out so much and didn't cook like I should when I was at home. You can make a change to eat food that gives your body life instead of dead food that does nothing for you except shorten your life.

Making lifestyle changes are not easy, but YOU CAN DO IT!you can do it. I had no idea that anyone noticed the cooler I was carrying with me everyday to work.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but around here a Lean Cuisine runs about $2-$3. I often eat one of those for lunch.
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oops! My sweet little boy decided to help me type...I was saying that I didn't think anyone noticed that I was bringing my cooler with me everyday, but now no one in the office goes out to eat....they bring their coolers too and we eat together and walk when the weather is nice. :happy:

223713.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but around here a Lean Cuisine runs about $2-$3. I often eat one of those for lunch.

These can be good options but be careful - many of the microwave lunches (even the healthy ones) have high sodium. I've found it's more fulfilling for me to make a quick sandwich (whole grain bread, of course) and bring some baby carrots and another side like cottage cheese or applesauce than it is to bring the microwave lunches. I tried it... but just doesn't cut it for me. (And it was causing me to frequently exceed the recommended sodium limit.)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Oh one more thing - you can save a lot of money by buying larger containers of stuff like yogurt, cottage cheese and applesauce rather than buying the serving size "ready to go" packages. Then just pick up a few of the really small tupperware containers (they're pretty inexpensive) and you're ready to go!

Example - I can get 50 oz of applesauce for less than $2 at my grocery store - what a bargain compared to the serving size containers - about the same price (if not more) for 6 small servings.
  • Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wasn't trying to ridicule, I was just confused that one person who is slightly/moderately overweight could eat 3-6 cheeseburgers a day. Seemed surprising that's all.

I'm sorry, Courtney...I guess it's hard to interpret/convey tone & such across email & message boards. I read that entirely differently than you meant and I apologize :ohwell:
    :flowerforyou:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I'm sorry too! I could've written it better so it wouldn't seem condescending. It is hard to type what you mean when it's just words and nothing to go along with it! :flowerforyou:
  • kzalusky360
    Options
    ALDI ALDI ALDI!!!! I'm broke...and I too have used the "the dollar menu is cheaper than fresh veggies" excuse. but start shopping at places like Aldi and Price Rite (or whatever your local cheap store is) and you will see a huge difference.

a whole cart of food (protein and veggies, both fresh and frozen) can cost upwards of $200 at a regular grocery store. I'm being honest when I say I can walk out of Aldi for under $80--it is THAT cheap.

so use all the suggestions above (prepackaging food for grab 'n go options right from your own fridge) and pair the suggestions with a weekly trip to a cheap grocery store and you'll be on your way!
  • RobinRayn
    RobinRayn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You eat 3-6 cheeseburgers/mcchickens a day?? Seriously????
    Hey! I work at mcdonalds and can tell you that it takes three of those dinky 69 cent cheeseburgers to make a meal. I fall into the same trap, but now I eat a south beach diet protein bar as I drive to work and for lunch I slice an apple I bring and eat a 100 calorie pack of my choice :-) then when i get home I have some fruit and usually chicken and a salad for dinner. At night as my nighttime snack i have a 8oz cup of milk and 1oz of sliced cheese from a 2% fat cheese block. Believe me its pretty tough to say no to mcdonalds when you are hungry and already there and I get a 50 % off so it makes it even more tempting.... sigh...I only splurge on something from mcdonalds every week or two and its never anything large, never a meal, usually something that also comes as a happy meal, like a hamburger. cheeseburger. or 4 piece nugget.... that is my occasional splurge not a daily thing. Take it from me.... Fast food is bbbbaaaadddd. lol and thats straight out of the horses mouth. haha