Thoughts on Almond Butter

Options
I've recently been hearing a lot about Almond Butter. Checked it out while at the grocery store and it's pretty expensive. Is it worth the money? Sounds yummy!

Replies

• ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but my chircopractor says it's the next best thing since sliced bread. and much better for you than Peanut Butter. supposively PB has some chemical from the shells that is EXTREMELY bad for us
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I think it is yummy. I buy it as a treat every so often.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    OMG I LOVE Almond Butter. I put a TBSP of it in my oatmeal everyday. I use MaraNatha No Stir. It is right at $5 I think. For some reason, I don't like pnut butter IN my foods...only almond butter. I can eat a whole jar of pnut butter in one sitting. Almond butter to me is richer? nuttier? not sure of what adjective to use, but it allows me a bit of portion control b/c I could not eat a ton of almond butter.
  • kzalusky360
    Options
    it is absolutely delicious!!! i buy the organic kind that has the oil separated at the top...and then i pour the oil out. the only problem this poses is at the end of the jar the almond butter gets a little dry, but you just have to make sure you keep mixing it all the way through from when you first start. (does that make sense? lol)

anyway, definitely give it a try! it IS expensive, but worth it i think.
  • knottylibrarian
    Options
    I really like almond butter. And sunbutter (sunflower seeds)--I found a sample of almond butter from my grocer--if your grocer is large and has a lot of their own products, they may have a smaller amount cheaper. Also, I heard Whole Foods carries almond butter at a cheaper price than many grocers.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Almond Butter. I kept hearing everyone raving over it and was hesitant to buy it since it was expensive and I wasn't sure if I would like it. Finally I noticed it was on sale so I bought some and have fallen in love. I really like it on wasa crisps and rice cakes :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and actually wasn't a fan. I like regular almonds a lot more. I buy Naturally More which is a peanut butter that includes egg whites and flax seeds for higher protein and a better omega fatty acid profile. It's also pretty much the same price as natural peanut butter.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I love almond butter!!! I eat just like you would peanutbutter. YUMMY!:love:
  • SaritaChiquita
    SaritaChiquita Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to peanuts, so I had never had a nut butter before I tried almond butter. I love it now!
    $4.99 a jar at Trader Joe's and $5.39 for a much larger jar at Costco. Very cheap for the amount of meals it makes.

179108.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    It's alright. It's got a very runny consistency I find, but still tastes good. A nice change from peanut butter once in awhile.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Got my first jar (organic) the other day and I am wondering: what is the best way to store it once opened and how long does it last?
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Got my first jar (organic) the other day and I am wondering: what is the best way to store it once opened and how long does it last?

It needs to be stored in the fridge and typically last about 6 months after it's been opened. Just check the best before date on your bottle - it doesn't last as long as PB. I also suggest storing it upside down otherwise you'll need to stir each time you use it and could end up with a bunch of almond butter but no liquid.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan either, I was all excited to try it, then blah...I don't know if it's cause I bought the unsalted version or not but I thought it was gross....I too bought the MaraNatha brand.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    cattiemac, thank you :flowerforyou: Luckily, I put it in the fridge right after opening it, just to play it safe. Now I'm glad I did it :smile:.
    jb_sweet_99, I also did not like the taste the first time I tried it (a bit on a slice of bread, just to make sure I'm okay :wink: and it was too greassy), but after making an ab&j sandwich today, I found that just as yummy as the pb&j :smile:. Maybe cos of the jelly :wink:.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    cattiemac, thank you :flowerforyou: Luckily, I put it in the fridge right after opening it, just to play it safe. Now I'm glad I did it :smile:.
    jb_sweet_99, I also did not like the taste the first time I tried it (a bit on a slice of bread, just to make sure I'm okay :wink: and it was too greassy), but after making an ab&j sandwich today, I found that just as yummy as the pb&j :smile:. Maybe cos of the jelly :wink:.

Humm....Maybe I'll try it with Jelly then, thanks :wink:
  • alicnc
    Options
    I love it with honey too.

Putting it on a piece of whole grain toast, or on a whole grain waffle with some fruit is absolutely divine :)