Just trying not to die from exercise

Options
I've been on MFP for a bit, but am not at all consistent. Does anyone find it hard to keep logging food/exercise every day? Also, really need support to do the workouts - I nearly die on a 7k bike ride!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
    Start slower. Walk then run. Take a leisurely bike ride, not 7K on the first ride. Exercise gets easier the more you do it. Take bike rides for a week, starting with 2K, work up to 7K.

You won't keep it up if it is too much too fast, but your body will adapt quickly.

And with practice, you'll be able to log your meals in about two minutes. Like anything, there is a learning curve.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Start slower. Walk then run. Take a leisurely bike ride, not 7K on the first ride. Exercise gets easier the more you do it. Take bike rides for a week, starting with 2K, work up to 7K.

You won't keep it up if it is too much too fast, but your body will adapt quickly.

And with practice, you'll be able to log your meals in about two minutes. Like anything, there is a learning curve.

All good advice.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Apparently it takes 21 days to make something a habit so just stick to it and it'll get easier.. and the same thing goes for exercise.. just be consistent and add a little more each week or session. I would say that it's important to make sure you actually enjoy whatever your main exercise activity is. Good luck!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Biking is my primary source of cardio. When I started in January I was riding literally around my block like two times and doubled over sucking wind. Now I'm doing like 15-20 miles at a clip and really enjoy it. Just stick with it for a bit and you will see dramatic improvement if you are already doing 7k then you are starting way in front of where I did.
  • elbandito
    elbandito Posts: 157
    Options
    Consistency is the best approach; with logging, and with your exercise.

I am still constantly astounded at how my body has adapted to exercise that I do (most recently running - I can heartily recommend the Couch-to-5K programme). Your body has AMAZING capabilities, just so long as you allow it to adapt as you go along. And you'll find that it WILL get easier and find more enjoyment from it as you do so.
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Food is Fuel the better and more blanced your nutrition is the faster you will be able to adapt to work outs. Keep logging your meals and it will become second nature to do so. Also for your bike make sure you are not riding the same route every time that way your body will constantly be working and not get accustomed to anything. Feel free to add me
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Slow down and do it incrementally. And use this mantra that I repeat to this day: One hour becomes a day, a day becomes a week, one week...a month. One month turns to 6, six months begets a year. All you have to do is do the next right thing for the next hour, and soon enough, it will be a joy to workout.

Keep going, you can do it!
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options

^^this.^^

When I first started exercising, it was all I could do to stay on that elliptical trainer for 15 or 20 minutes, at a very slow pace. My heart rate soared, sweat dripped off me, and I thought I'd never walk again!

Now, three months of consistent exercise later, I go 65 minutes at a much faster speed (between 5 and 6 miles in that hour) with a much lower heart rate. I feel so much better, and my body is in such better shape! But I had to start slow and work my way up. 15 minutes for a couple days, then 20, then 25, then 30, and slowly inch up the intensity and speed...I could never have done then what I can do now! Start slow and give yourself permission to not kill yourself. If you HATE it, you won't have much success at sticking with it in the long run. Enjoy it and you'll be motivated to do a little more tomorrow. :-)
  • areyes1975
    Options
    I will not die.
    I constantly checking my HR and do about 20-30 min per day. That's enough for me.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am in your steps...i find it hard to follow through with logging everyday as well. I try. Also, I am cheating on food constantly. I keep throwing money at the problem - joined Nutrisystem (gave most of the NS food away except for the lunch bars - yummy). Another example of finding it hard to commit is with exercise, so I threw money at the problem and joined a gym in April and up until last week only went twice. So here is what I did to support myself making changes -- I paid for a class at noon everyday. I started last week and have been consistently making myself go. That is worth logging!!! You might try something along those lines...something you can deal with that supports you making a change and then let MFP know about your efforts. It does take a long time to make a permanent change happen for the better. Good luck! You are not the only one struggling...:blushing:
  • KittySuperstar
    Options
    Thanks muchly, everyone, for all the advice! I guess it's one kilometre at a time, lol. It certainly helps knowing that other people have started from doing little exercise and have made it so far! And to the one gentleman who said something about adding him, I haven't yet figured out what that means. Like adding friends on facebook?
  • violette50
    violette50 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you have MFP on your phone? It is wonderful to help log food and activity. If I exercise more, I get to eat more!
  • kast03
    kast03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is really great advice...I just started this at the advise of my doctor and I'm terrible at staying with something...maybe if I come in this forum often I will stay on target :smile:
    Apparently it takes 21 days to make something a habit so just stick to it and it'll get easier.. and the same thing goes for exercise.. just be consistent and add a little more each week or session. I would say that it's important to make sure you actually enjoy whatever your main exercise activity is. Good luck!
  • green_emerald0530
    green_emerald0530 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Agree! However, sometimes that little voice in your head that thinks you are going to die and you need to stop...sometimes you just need to tell it to shut up.