I'm lost...

Options
I've been working really hard and I'm losing weight, which I'm proud of. However, I've been really struggling lately with staying motivated and focused. I have three roommates, all of whom are rather thin. They don't work out, they eat cookies and candy all day and are always bringing home fast food (and of course don't gain a pound). They are always dating and seem to be enjoying life. My friends are all getting engaged and just eminate hapiness all the time, I, on the other hand, watch my calories like a hawk, hit the gym every day in addition to workout videos and the Wii Fit. I can't remember the last time I went on a date and feel pretty miserable. I know my weight is aiding my depression and I don't know what to do. I don't regret working out and I'll keep doing so, but I can't seem to improve my mood.

Replies

• brobwill
    Options
    I've never met you face to face and even though I'm 55, in so many ways I can relate, as I'm sure many others do too. You're already well on your way to losing what you want.....just never give up; not only on the weight loss, but know that God has a plan for you and you'll be just as happy as your friends one day!
  • slimmingmom
    Options
    Ugh...I know too many people who can eat ANYTHING and be sooo good looking...then I who actually do watch what I eat am enormous. Psh...what's worse is when they look at you and wonder what you're doing to be that big when they can eat a big mac and still be small...they must think i'm eating like 5 of them when I don't even go NEAR them, lol. We'll both be where we want to be someday. Cheer up and just remember that!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Just keep with it. You're learning how to eat right and be healthy while they have a fabulous metabolism to help them along now, what happens when it slows down?

Just remember there is such a thing as skinny fat too. Without a healthy diet and exercise program, they may actually be at a higher risk for many problems than you are (if not now, they probably will be in the future).

Just keep it up, it'll pay off in the long run. It's hard now to not see progress but I bet you've notice how much more energy you have (aside from being depressed) and how much easier it is to exercise.

OK - just noticed the 17 lbs in a month!!!!!!!! That's fantastic!!!!!!! Cheer up. At that rate you'll be looking awesome next summer.
  • haley4tn
    haley4tn Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm with annhjk, 17 pounds in one month time is enought to boost your mood! Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments...I'll try to keep my outlook positive. :smile:
  • Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ::hugs::
    Hang in there!
    You are a beautiful...beautiful woman. I just looked at your pictures so hush. I know what you're thinking :)

I do believe your roomates are what I call 'skinny fat people.' They are not healthy women...no one who eats like that and doesn't exercise, no matter how 'thin,' is healthy.

YOU, on the otherhand, are a strong, gorgeous, Amazonian woman who is strong enough and secure enough to step out of her comfort zone to improve her life. Period.

So-what kind of people they're going out on dates with all the time anyways? And if they keep going out on dates with different guys- well, then something's not working for them below skin level anyways. (aka- it's superficial) You're not losing out on anything :)

You're making great progress...GREAT progress.
    17lbs is nothing to blow off- :D
    You're doing great!

(I just read annhjk's comment...see! skinny fat.)

Chin-up, m'dear. You'll get there soon enough. And when you DO get there (which you will), you will be strong, healthy, and all the better for your experiences. You'll have life long lessons to carry you through life without constant weight increases when your metabolism begins to slow like the other girls :)
  • dartboarddiva
    dartboarddiva Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    and if all else fails, just sit on the skinny b**ches
    :laugh: :wink:
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Timothy2000
    Options
    Most of my coworkers are like that, they can eat whatever they want do whatever they want, smoke, drink, party it up. sometimes it pisses me off, but I do think about what there life will be like in the future compared to mine. You just have to hang in there. Oh by the way you are absolutely gorgeous, do not ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Well, I just looked at your pictures and you are so beautiful! And just think, you will not only be losing weight you are GAINING SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE about healthy living and eating. Your "skinny" roommates that eat all of that crap will not be so lucky and eventually those high metabolisms come crashing down. We are so glad to have you join us, and we're here for you every step of the way.
    Everyone on here started with a goal of losing one pound at a time :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Please do not get discouraged by your 'skinny' friends. The only person I have known to date to have a full blown heart attack is the skinniest woman I know. Her spouse died 1 yr later of a heart attack also and he was the 'perfect' weight.

You are changing your lifestyle. In a few months someone will ask you what you are eating and say, wow you always eat so healthy!! (happened to me and I was in shock:noway: :bigsmile: and o so happy)

One day at a time and if that dont work, One CHOICE at a time.

:heart: Jeannie
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

Love your pictures by the way, it looks like you have alot of fun and are very outgoing.

Skinny people can have high cholesterol too, and I did know a skinny man who had a heart attach.

Also, like people have said here....these skinny people when they either get pregnant and fat, and have to lose the weight...they won't know how to , because they have never done it before.

Us, on the other hand, do know. And experience is a great thing.

We are all on this together!
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am 54 years old and have struggled all my life with my weight.

My parents got me up every morning from the age of 10 and weighed me and then yelled at me. I look back at my pics and I was normal. i remember weighing 132 pds and was about 5'6. But they got what they drilled into me. 100 pds overweight.

I married a man who fought like crazy to gain weight. The poor man was never happy with himself.

All I'm saying is we have got to take care of ourselves, and just go for the health. Don't look around you. Look at you and love yourself. I believe the more you like who yourself, the more others are attracted to you. Love the exercise you do for yourself. Love the healthy food you are feeding yourself. And love the kind person you appear to be. The trials you have in life can shape and mold you for good or for bad. I have always let it shape me for the bad and now am struggling to turn it around and love myself.

Well, you have so much ahead of you. Take tomorrow and make a list of all the wonderful things about you. Post it here. i would love to get to know you. And thanks for sharing. you brought up a lot for me and I am going to try very hard to do the same thing. God bless, kathleen