Running Tips for Beginners

Options
Hi, I am looking for tips for running. I have been working out consistently for the last 7 weeks. I made it to 0.9 miles on Sunday which was really awesome! (Slowly, but I did it!) My current goal is to complete a 5k in September so I am trying to increase my mileage. I am looking for any tips or advice. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• vtjenn
    vtjenn Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't have any tips but I just started the Couch to 5k program.. I love it!!!! Only on Day 3, but in 20 minutes, i can run/walk almost 2.5 miles!!!
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Check out Couch 2 5K. I know they have smarthphone apps and many people have used them to increase their running distances and complete 5Ks. Good luck!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 2 of Couch to 5 K. I HATE running, but this is making it bearable. What I have read, so far, is that I need to get fitted in a specialty running store for the perfect running shoe to greatly lessen the chances of getting hurt. I plan to do that this weekend. I downloaded the C25K app on my android phone. It tells me when to walk and when to run. And I am supposed to be able to play music in the background. Haven't tried that yet. Good luck to you!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    c25k app on a smart phone , and DO invest in some decent running shoes, and you are all set :-) I would also advise you to do as much running outdoors as possible..not only is it a lot more fun, but you can't beat the fresh air and the sense of actually having 'ran' :-)
    0.9 miles already...you are well on your way to a 5k and will easily manage this before september, but do try c25k...i gave up and quit it 3 times last year...i finished it this time in late may and have ran 4 days back to back of 10k....this isn't as difficulty as it sounds, believe me!!

go for it...but do get decent shoes!
  • elizabethmae1214
    Options
    There are TONS of resources online but the ones I point people to most often are the Couch to 5k programs and getting the right shoe. It sounds silly but it makes a huge difference. Go to a local running store, not just any sports store and have them fit you. You should try on many many pairs! Good luck!
  • justimmy22
    justimmy22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    shoes shoes shoes shoes. Did i mention get good shoes? C25K is great!!! I have yet to finish it but I can definitely see improvement. I HATE running!
  • DreaFitX
    DreaFitX Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree about having the right shoes, going to a running store where they watch how you walk and run and getting the right running shoe for you. I know a lot of people use(d) C25K but I really liked the app Get Running. Remember to take your time, pace yourself, breath. Each day you'll run just a little farther than the day/week before and you'll fee great. Another great app is My Personal Running Trainer they have programs for running 1 mile all the way to a marathon. I currently am doing the 10k program and then plan to move on to the half. Above anything else remember to have fun, cuz if you're not having fun, why do it?
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K and ran my first 5K. You can do it! C25K is nice because you don't go too fast and get too sore/shin splints/ whatever and end up quitting. I now use the Nike + GPS app and recommend it too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a c25k graduate! I wasn't any sort of runner, but started the program in late January, finished it in March, and have continued to run anywhere from 2 - 5 miles at a time since them. Ran my first 5k race on Memorial Day weekend and LOVED it! :love:

The program keeps you focused & helps prevent injury by keeping you from doing too much too soon. Registering for a race gives you the drive to keep going! Get good shoes, stick to the program, and go as slowly as you need to on the running segments to complete each day. Do some good stretching after each session too.

And have fun!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    go slow. no reason to run as fast as you can. It can lead to injury. You can work on speed later.

Shoes are important too.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Well I think you can see the right answer is....c25k! So I will try and add something else to the post....let's see.....

Breathing - in thru your nose , out thru your mouth. Train yourself to do it now before you start bad habits.
    Stride- don't run on your heels. Land mid foot closer to the ball of your foot.
    Get good music- its the ultimate motivator www.Runningmusicmix.com
    Find a friend to run with or just pick up a strange runner in your neighborhood - company is helpful.
    Keep a running journal - it feels awesome to see your progress

Good luck!
  • megancarlotta
    Options
    Thanks everyone- the trainer at my gym encouraged me to do intervals, so I guess I am doing some form of the C25K already! I will look into that app!

Sometimes in the beginning of my jogging I feel pain in the shins, but it usually quickly goes away. Any thoughts on that? Would better shoes help? I will try to find a running store near me.

Thanks!!
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Shoes are first and foremost. Stretching is next; before and after. Do dynamic stretches (google it) before starting to warm up the muscles. Do static stretches (google it) after for a cool down. Start slow and work towards longer distances before speed. You need to build endurance before you can increase speed. Add a couple of days during the week for rest. Let us know how you are progressing.
  • complicatedmoves
    complicatedmoves Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am looking for tips for running. I have been working out consistently for the last 7 weeks. I made it to 0.9 miles on Sunday which was really awesome! (Slowly, but I did it!) My current goal is to complete a 5k in September so I am trying to increase my mileage. I am looking for any tips or advice. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

Awesome. This is my goal as well. Usually when I do 5k, I alternate between walkign and jogging. I just want to run the whole thing straight........So I'm trying to build my endurance level.