trying to be strong while cooking for my family

Options
so far i have lost 12lbs. but sometimes i cheat when i cook for my husband and my boys, im definitely in need of new friends for support

Replies

• sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    try cooking them healthy things as well especially for your boys!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i found this quote a few years ago, and i repeat it over and over when i cook things i can't eat for my kids.

losing weight is hard
    being fat is hard
    pick your hard

ask your husband to cook for himself/kids so you don't cheat?
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    so far i have lost 12lbs. but sometimes i cheat when i cook for my husband and my boys, im definitely in need of new friends for support

It's not cheating if you log it. :) I have to cook for my family as well, and I know it's not easy. If you have to have a bite, then measure it out and log it.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

This. My kids eat what I eat. Occasionally I'll make them fish sticks or something, but it's rare, and it usually happens on a night that my husband and I are eating an entree salad or something else that they don't like. If it's unhealthy enough that you don't want to eat it on your quest to get healthy, why are you feeding it to your kids on a regular basis? :)
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I cook healthy for my kids, they eat what I cook or they starve. They get junk food when they are with their dad and I am not around.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    No time like the present to reinvent yourself in the kitchen! Healthy doesn't have to mean tasteless or rabbit food.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

This. My kids eat what I eat. Occasionally I'll make them fish sticks or something, but it's rare, and it usually happens on a night that my husband and I are eating an entree salad or something else that they don't like. If it's unhealthy enough that you don't want to eat it on your quest to get healthy, why are you feeding it to your kids on a regular basis? :)

These :)
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Why not cook everyone the same meal, that way you wont be tempted? just make slow changes and they wont even notice.
  • Vgrindle
    Vgrindle Posts: 23
    Options
    I had a hard time with that in the beginning, I eventually grew out of that once I trained myself to eat smaller meals. It takes some time and it is very frustrating indeed but I have faith in you :)
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    We all eat the same things! I have started eating healthier and so has my family. My children don't really notice the difference and my husband thinks we should be eating healthier anyways. See if you can start cooking healthier for them as well.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes, do find healthier options for your family that you can eat too! That being said, I have a very picky husband and a strict competition prep diet. I make my food on Sundays and have it ready for the whole week. It's much easier to stick to it when it's already right there and ready to heat up. I make him totally separate lunches and dinners, and I don't even taste them. It's just a mindset, you have to decide how bad you really want it!
  • LysieMae
    LysieMae Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's all about finding healthy foods everyone will love. For picky eaters, I'd say just offer at least one thing you KNOW they like, then have the new foods as a side dish.

Particularly you can look for new ways to cook healthy things to make them a little more enjoyable.
    For example: Brussels Sprouts. I have always hated them. BUT if you shred them in the food processor and then saute them in a LITTLE bit of oil (til they start to brown, about 10 mins or so) I'll eat a whole bowl! Delicious.

Also, roasted veggies are my go to healthy side (just keep the oil light). They're almost always yummy.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    It's all about finding healthy foods everyone will love. For picky eaters, I'd say just offer at least one thing you KNOW they like, then have the new foods as a side dish.

Particularly you can look for new ways to cook healthy things to make them a little more enjoyable.
    For example: Brussels Sprouts. I have always hated them. BUT if you shred them in the food processor and then saute them in a LITTLE bit of oil (til they start to brown, about 10 mins or so) I'll eat a whole bowl! Delicious.

Also, roasted veggies are my go to healthy side (just keep the oil light). They're almost always yummy.

This, all of it. With each meal I try to have one dish that I know EVERYONE will love, and then if I try something new it'll be a side dish. And I have a one-bite rule in my house. You dont' have to eat everything on your plate, but you do have to try at least one bite of everything on the table. Even if it's something you didn't like before. There are some things I don't make them try anymore -- like carrots give my son the whole-body shivers, poor baby, so I don't make him try those anymore. But unless it was just horrifying like that, they have to try it even if they said they didn't like it before. That same son used to claim to hate salmon, and now it's one of his favorites. My daughter never wanted to eat asparagus, and now she asks for seconds.
  • Khloe_Nichole
    Options
    thanks everybody. i got a long way to go. so i better start taking this advice and using it
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a diet of very low carb and veggies. I plan my meals and make theirs separately. I prepare them healthy meals with whole grains, the same veggies I have. At this stage I don't eat grains, flour, sugary blah blah blah.
    Most meals we always have a salad, so I'll just eat salad for dinner. Planning and sometimes when it's really hard I'll eat my dinner while I'm preparing theirs. Almonds really help to snack on. Lots of water. :tongue:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that my family likes healthy things, but I will make some substitutions to help my goals.

We'll grill steak and I'll make a large green salad and sweet potatoes to go along with it. I just make sure I stick to 3-6 oz of steak depending on how many calories I have.

I make whole wheat pasta or high fiber pasta if we're having spaghetti and will make sure to have steamed broccoli with it to fill me up.

Portion control and healthier alternatives mean I don't have to worry about cooking two meals or cheating.
  • Daz49ers
    Daz49ers Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Hi, i am a sou chef , i am around food 5 times a week and anything from 8 to 15 hours a day tust me i know where you are going through its one of the toughest things ever but all i can say is nibble on a raw carrot or apple etc, either way its better than cheating with un healthy foods
  • chickenrider
    Options

^^ This right here...I cook one dinner. My son either eats what I cook or does not eat...He is not missing a meal trust me. If I do not want it in my body, I am not putting it in his.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Cook the same thing for everyone. It takes some adjusting but everyone is better off in the long run. My husband isn't picky and my kids have adjusted wonderfully. Teaching them a healthy lifestyle now will save a struggle in the long run.