Is this pretty normal???

Options
I have been keeping track of calories, and working out for a while now with the help of MFP. I started HIIT and lifting a few months back. I really like the results that I am seeing, but here is the deal. My weight has not shifted one bit, nor have my measurements. I look very different, but numbers have not changed at all.
Has anyone else had this happen?
I am not concerned about my body, I know it is doing its thing, and I am doing fine, just curious about the lack of numbers....:ohwell:

Replies

• morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    Nobody? Anyone know what would be the cause? Diary is open.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that I'm not going to be much help, but I just wanted to say that I love the titles you've given to your snacks. It made me giggle :)

As for your post, I'm not the most knowledgeable in the subject, but here's my take on it. You're not losing weight, and your measurements have not changed, but you are seeing a change in your body composition. Logically, I guess that means you're losing fat and replacing it with muscle.

But you're definitely taking it the right way; judging success on how you look and feel rather than on numbers. I say keep up the good work! I'm interested to see what more knowledgeable people have to say.
  • morninglilli
    Options
    Thank you a bundle for your response. I always feel like my posts slide under the radar. :(

I think you are right, at least I hope so. :wink:
    I am all good with muscle, I am just surprised there hasn't been any numeric change in a while. I lost 8 lbs. fast when I was just tracking my food, but as soon as I got serious about my workouts my numbers stalled out. My BFP even shows up higher. What gives?????

Thank you for the encouragement! :flowerforyou:
  • rvrtplus2
    rvrtplus2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me! It took forever before I could see a change in my measurements; however, the scale hardly budged. It's very frustrating. My trainer said I'm doing ok so I have to keep believing that! I don't have any scientific reason, just know you are not alone :)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Looking back through your diary quickly, it looks like you're averaging less than 1200 net calories per day most days. Recently I see you're getting more cals in, but it looks like before that you were netting pretty low. That could be part of the problem. When you don't have much weight to lose, it's harder to budge that fat, and your body needs all the energy it can get from food since it doesn't have large fat stores to draw on. Personally, I would try increasing the calories through protein and healthy fats, and see if that makes a difference.
  • annhamilton1
    Options
    Im having the same problems
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    im the same after doing insanity/p90x.

No measurment chnage, no weight change, bu my body looks way different. ive gne from a pear shape to a rectangle. so ive lost all my curves and look like a boy. but ive noticed mroe strength and endurance.

oh wells.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Wow, I see such great things in your diary today, it is no wonder you are getting some great NSV's. Yes, I am in the same boat. I have not changed much in my measurements, but I should make a long list to tell you how happy I have been with my results. It is definitely about more than just the scale...your body gets healthier, and it's worth noting! Like, being stronger, feeling healthier, looking healthier, having good eating habits,feeling happier, better skin, i've reduced by at least 2 pant sizes, I'm happier about how I look, and on and on...
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Looking back through your diary quickly, it looks like you're averaging less than 1200 net calories per day most days. Recently I see you're getting more cals in, but it looks like before that you were netting pretty low. That could be part of the problem. When you don't have much weight to lose, it's harder to budge that fat, and your body needs all the energy it can get from food since it doesn't have large fat stores to draw on. Personally, I would try increasing the calories through protein and healthy fats, and see if that makes a difference.

Very good observation. It would be good to make some adjustments and see how that affects progress. Good job so far!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping track of calories, and working out for a while now with the help of MFP. I started HIIT and lifting a few months back. I really like the results that I am seeing, but here is the deal. My weight has not shifted one bit, nor have my measurements. I look very different, but numbers have not changed at all.
    Has anyone else had this happen?
    I am not concerned about my body, I know it is doing its thing, and I am doing fine, just curious about the lack of numbers....:ohwell:

I'm in that boat. My body has changed a lot since starting weight lifting a few months ago, but my weight is pretty much the same. the scale is worthless to me. even though the numbers aren't changing much, i am lifting a lot more weight than i used to so i know i am getting strength gains and i can see a huge difference in the mirror/pictures.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    yes , happened to me . At the begining was the body change( after 3 months) , after that the measurments dropped( 4 inch on my hips and one on my waist ) and now , the weight is shifting ( dropped 10 lb , gained 5 , dropped more) Keep going , you can go wrong with what you are doing.

ps: love you food diary!
  • morninglilli
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I needed a little reassurance that I was on the right path. I kept reading that your measurements would change even when the scale doesnt, but alas.
    I am totally happy with what my body is doing! So i'll keep it up, and hope to see more progress.

Thanks again!

Oh, yes, and I will start adding more calories in slowly. I am hesitant to eat back all of those calories I sweated so hard to burn off!