Hysteroscopy-Ladies?

I have one of these scheduled for next week. I have been having some issues for the past few months. Do any of you have experience with this procedure? I am really nervous.

I know that my Ob/Gyn is trying to rule out/in cysts, polyps, ect. I really want answers!

Any words of wisdom would be helpful.

Thank you lovely ladies of MFP!

Replies

• globob9
    globob9 Posts: 1
    I had one down several years ago and it wasnt too bad, nor too uncomfotrable, should be even better now with technology. I would defiantely ask questions on the procedure from your healthcare provider before going through with it, so you will know what to expect. Also may want to google it.. Good Luck!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    I had one down several years ago and it wasnt too bad, nor too uncomfotrable, should be even better now with technology. I would defiantely ask questions on the procedure from your healthcare provider before going through with it, so you will know what to expect. Also may want to google it.. Good Luck!

I did google it. But I am looking for real people experiences.. Thank you for sharing yours:)
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    I've had two. One with a D&C and polypectomy and one just on Friday with a D&C and endometrial ablation. No ill-effects either time.
  • gomisskellygo
    Thank you..Were either of you sedated? My Ob told me to take a couple of Advil.
  • gomisskellygo
    I've had two. One with a D&C and polypectomy and one just on Friday with a D&C and endometrial ablation. No ill-effects either time.

I've had a D&C..Sorry to hear you have had two. :flowerforyou:
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member

I was sedated because of the D&Cs and ablation. But, I have had four biopsies done with no sedation and even those weren't bad.
  • gomisskellygo

I was sedated because of the D&Cs and ablation. But, I have had four biopsies done with no sedation and even those weren't bad.

Thank you! My Ob retired, so this is a new relationship at a new office with a new doctor. I don't really feel comfortable yet.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    I've had two. (I've always had a ton of reproductive issues.) One wasn't too bad, one was deeply uncomfortable. Take four Advil beforehand -- no worries. Unless you take them all the time lots, taking four isn't an issue. I also have my doc give me Valium before any procedures -- not because I get anxious, but it seems to take the edge off of pain. (But some providers won't do this -- with my history, my docs comply.) Feel free to friend me if you wish. I think I've had almost every procedure under the sun. AND -- I feel great these days!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    They won't sedate you if this is all that's being done.
  • chandra38
    chandra38 Posts: 112 Member
    Most doctors will tell you not to take Advil, but Tylenol before these procedures because Advil will cause you to bleed more. I worked for a GYN, scheduling these procedures and that is what she always said. When I had mine done with my doctor, she said the same thing. I was sedated, but because I had a D&C at the same time. No problems for me afterward.
  • gomisskellygo
    When I googled, it said that I would need to recover for a couple hours. My doc didn't mention this. Is this normal or should I have my husband bring me?

SORRY!! You girls are being so helpful:flowerforyou:
    Thank you.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    the tylenol really should be all you need (my doctor recommended midol).

i believe mine took under 20 minutes but it's been a while ago so i may be completely remembering wrong; that might have been the hysterosalpingogram instead... one was really short and the other was short-but-longer.

hope you receive good news!
  • gomisskellygo
    the tylenol really should be all you need (my doctor recommended midol).

i believe mine took under 20 minutes but it's been a while ago so i may be completely remembering wrong; that might have been the hysterosalpingogram instead... one was really short and the other was short-but-longer.

hope you receive good news!

Thank you!
  • gomisskellygo
    double post..oops