Beginner's Exercises?

Options
Hey there! I am back in the game for losing some weight. I also have reached the conclusion that I need to exercise.

What are some great beginner exercises I can do to help with the weight loss?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here, myself included, just started with simple walking. It's free and easy and somewhat enjoyable. If you have a park or a nice neighborhood you can start doing this in would be your best bet. If you want something for inside, you can check out the endless amounts of workouts in the fitness section at walmart or sporting goods shop.
  • shellrocker12
    shellrocker12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree, walking is a great start. And if it is too hot out or ice in the winter go to your local mall/ walmart and walk in there! Another thing I started out with is dumb bells, they have inexpensive ones at WalMart. ( just remember to start out light though, you don't want to over-work the muscles if you aren't used to it-like I was! I started with a whimpy 3 lb., and now alternate between 5 lb & 8 lb. weights ) Jump rope is another good one, just make sure it is weighted one. The one I bought wasn't, and it was a flop for me!! lol One more thing, the resistance bands are really good too. They are inexpensive at WalMart.
    Best of luck!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Walking is good. Yoga can be fun if you are into low impact stuff.

I recommend anything that you can do on the spur of the moment, with little to no equipment.

For me, the key to getting started with exercise was just doing little 10 minute workouts here and there, and just getting into the habit of it. If I was going to be winded or sore, I wasn't going to keep up with it. I had to choose workouts where I could get started easily, but quit if I needed or wanted to. As long as I got up and got moving every day, then I was making progress. Then, as working out got easier, I started to select harder workouts and I started to push myself more. Getting into the habit is the hardest part.
  • tastywhalebacon
    Options
    that's the problem i am having. i can not get into exercising at all.
  • AmyBetty
    AmyBetty Posts: 18
    Options
    It sounds like you need a workout buddy! Make set times/days to exercise together, even if it's just for a walk. You will be more motivated to go as your friend will also be missing out if you decide you can't be bothered that day. Also joining a gym/women's gym/training group can help you remain motivated if you know you've paid to go somewhere. Once you really get into it, the motivation will come. Good luck!