The first 2 weeks are the toughest

Options
I recall when I first started with my personal trainer during week 2, she got me to do crab walking in between a number of witches hats that she set-up. In between them I had to do 10 burpees and then continue. I think I lasted like a minute before I had to stop and want to puke. It was right about that time that I really wanted to give up and go back to my normal ways. So glad I didn't. What challenges did you have to overcome initially?

Replies

• MustangCindy67
    MustangCindy67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was on the right track with losing until I went from evening to days at work. It took me nearly 6 months to fully adjust and in that time I gained about 25 lbs. The biggest challenge was getting into the right mindset to start back into eating well along with exercise. My hurdle was week 3 of Insanity. I stopped Insanity and started the E machine and went from 15 minutes up to 60 minutes. I would get bored after about 2 weeks but kept at something or other as I set goals for each week to increase my time exercising. Last year I was afraid to fall off of my bike and this year I have completed a 38km trail ride.....:)
    Thanks for your support and sound advice. Your progress is stunning.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    toughest for me is plateaus. if i am not seeing the scale move and i'm not losing any inches. i feel so horrible.
  • megan24209
    megan24209 Posts: 23
    Options
    When I first started I didn't really have weight to lose but I was majorly out of shape. After my back surgery, I was bedridden, then in a wheelchair, and then crutches for months. Needless to say when I was given the ok to exercise again I was extremely weak. I couldn't walk for more than 15 mins. I couldn't finish 10 minutes of a beginner workout video. I couldn't even do 5 modified push-ups. I couldn't hold in plank without collapsing. Forget about even attempting a burpee. I also completely changed my diet from junk food and fast food, to healthy eating. In the first two weeks, I wanted to give up so badly. I didn't believe I was strong enough or could ever get my pre-surgery strength back. I was frustrated, irritated, and wanted to be inebriated.

It has been about 6 weeks since then. Now I can walk for an hour an a half. I can hold plank.. I'm doing Pilates regularly. I can do regular push-ups. And I exercise for about an hour every day now. I also love my healthy food! My medication list has dwindled down to practically nothing and even the pain has reduced 10 fold!!

I am truly amazed what can happen if you just stick to it. I am so glad I didn't give up. After the initial phase I feel things got easier for me because I came to truly enjoy exercise, healthy eating, and the natural high I get from seeing my body change and accomplishing my goals.
  • FORGVN
    FORGVN Posts: 20
    Options
    Just walking over 20 minutes was enough to make me really consider if this "health thang" was really cut out for me. Now I can walk at an incline for over an hour and a 1/2. ;)
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    When I first started I didn't really have weight to lose but I was majorly out of shape. After my back surgery, I was bedridden, then in a wheelchair, and then crutches for months. Needless to say when I was given the ok to exercise again I was extremely weak. I couldn't walk for more than 15 mins. I couldn't finish 10 minutes of a beginner workout video. I couldn't even do 5 modified push-ups. I couldn't hold in plank without collapsing. Forget about even attempting a burpee. I also completely changed my diet from junk food and fast food, to healthy eating. In the first two weeks, I wanted to give up so badly. I didn't believe I was strong enough or could ever get my pre-surgery strength back. I was frustrated, irritated, and wanted to be inebriated.

It has been about 6 weeks since then. Now I can walk for an hour an a half. I can hold plank.. I'm doing Pilates regularly. I can do regular push-ups. And I exercise for about an hour every day now. I also love my healthy food! My medication list has dwindled down to practically nothing and even the pain has reduced 10 fold!!

I am truly amazed what can happen if you just stick to it. I am so glad I didn't give up. After the initial phase I feel things got easier for me because I came to truly enjoy exercise, healthy eating, and the natural high I get from seeing my body change and accomplishing my goals.

[takes a bow!!!]

Now this is what I call tough. So many opportunities for you to quit but you stuck at it. You should be truly amazed at what you've achieved! Well done to you!
  • iwork4pepsi
    Options
    My first 2 weeks were a lot more work than its been so far. I started my healthy eating and counting calories the day I found MFP, that was May 5 of this year. The first 10 days I lost NO weight! It was very depressing, I was doing everything right. I didn't weigh myself again for a week, then the weight dropped! It's been dropping every week since. It's been under 50 days since I started and you see the results below. Feel free to view my diary or add me as a friend. So, stick it out! That weight didn't go on overnight, it's not going to come off that way either...It will all be worth it when we hit our goal weights!

22296225.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    "Witches hats" love it!

But I had to teach myself how to run on a treadmill, I hate them, but since it was winter I had to do something. So I started at .5m and each week I increased by .25mile until I got to 2miles. It was hard, but I felt pretty accomplished afterward. I remember I had a quote sheet that I made and I put it on the treadmill, so whenever I felt like quitting I would just look at it and it would keep me going =)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I started with P90x. On my very first day I managed to get through the 1st workout and then went on to Ab RipperX (15-20 minutes of intense Abs) and puked (thank goodness I hadn't eaten anything---just water). Needless to say I didn't get through the entire Ab workout day 1, but I managed to get myself motivated enough to do it the next day and continued with all workouts despite my inauspicious beginning. I could have easily quit, but I ended up finishing 2 rounds of P90x, Jillian Michael's 30DS, and am now rotating through 2 other JM videos (NMTZ + BFBM). Funny thing is I am thinking about throwing Ab RipperX into my current workout because I love doing abs now-lol! Posting this has made me realize how strong I have become ---that was only last year. :)
  • ericgAU
    Options
    My first 2 weeks were a lot more work than its been so far. I started my healthy eating and counting calories the day I found MFP, that was May 5 of this year. The first 10 days I lost NO weight! It was very depressing, I was doing everything right. I didn't weigh myself again for a week, then the weight dropped! It's been dropping every week since. It's been under 50 days since I started and you see the results below. Feel free to view my diary or add me as a friend. So, stick it out! That weight didn't go on overnight, it's not going to come off that way either...It will all be worth it when we hit our goal weights!

22296225.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I agree with you 100%. I didnt see weight drop for actually a good month or so after I'd started. I know the feeling of not wanting to press on, believe me. Nice work!
  • ericgAU
    Options
    "Witches hats" love it!

But I had to teach myself how to run on a treadmill, I hate them, but since it was winter I had to do something. So I started at .5m and each week I increased by .25mile until I got to 2miles. It was hard, but I felt pretty accomplished afterward. I remember I had a quote sheet that I made and I put it on the treadmill, so whenever I felt like quitting I would just look at it and it would keep me going =)

I think I meant to say those traffic cone things that look like witches hats ;)) I tell ya what though, they may as well have been, belonging to my personal trainer!! She was one bad *kitten*!!!

I love how you put a quote sheet next to the treadmill. What a great way to stay motivated. Good on you!
  • ericgAU
    Options
    I started with P90x. On my very first day I managed to get through the 1st workout and then went on to Ab RipperX (15-20 minutes of intense Abs) and puked (thank goodness I hadn't eaten anything---just water). Needless to say I didn't get through the entire Ab workout day 1, but I managed to get myself motivated enough to do it the next day and continued with all workouts despite my inauspicious beginning. I could have easily quit, but I ended up finishing 2 rounds of P90x, Jillian Michael's 30DS, and am now rotating through 2 other JM videos (NMTZ + BFBM). Funny thing is I am thinking about throwing Ab RipperX into my current workout because I love doing abs now-lol! Posting this has made me realize how strong I have become ---that was only last year. :)

Thanks for sharing this! Im sure you probably felt this too but the time I almost puked (sorry folks if your eating and reading this...) I honestly felt it was a turning point. In some way I was so glad that I had my PT there because it was the one time that she stopped being....well a personal trainer and became a coach of sorts. I couldve quite easily given up such was how crap I felt. I'd be interested to know what pushed you through this time given that by the sounds of it you were doing the P90X on your own?