Would you take a pay cut?

Options
Here's the back story...

I really would like to work for a industry that is relatively small, it's only three companies that do this with only one in a 100 mile proximity of where I live.

I applied to a position and got offered the job, yay! but here's the issue...

the maximum salary this is the max they can offer and I believe them is 23% less then what I make. I expected a pay decrease, because I do make higher then the market, but I only expected 15% so this is 4k off. I will need to find a new job (I have zero job security at my current job, no options for growth and no mentors), there's alot of changes going on, BIG BAD CHANCES, at work, but I don't have to rush to find a position, I should have at least six months. I am suffering from anxiety and depression because my current job is really stressing me out, this has been going on for nine months. I have no career progression at my current job, but I do know if I leave, the employees will be at a major loss.... leaving is not going to be easy and managers are really going to be upset and give me a hard time. I'm worried this will aggravate my anxiety.

Thing is this kind of opportunity (new job) only comes once in a lifetime, I mean, this industry is small, the management time is highly rated as the best and the opportunities are unlimited for me. I am sure I can get back to where I am, in four/five years tops.

your thoughts?

Would you accept the position?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If your current job is driving you nuts, you need to make a change. Your sanity is priceless!

I once quit a steady job to wait tables because the steady job involved working with jerks. I cut my pay in half for six months, and it was worth every cent. I never looked back! I was as broke as I have ever been in my adult life, but I was free, and that is priceless.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    yep
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I took a 40% pay cut to change industries (corporate communications to web development) and specifically to work for one company that looked amazing.

I bring my dog to work every day,met a month of vacation, work with 100 of the smartest and nicest people I've ever met, enjoy amazing benefits and even get to do things like RC car racing and other crazy events.

Before I had a TON of money and was totally miserable. Now I have just enough to cover life plus a bit of savings but I'm soooooo much happier (and with the training investment the company has made in me I stand to move to the team I ultimately wanted to be on, and probably get at least a little raise).

As long as you make enough to live on, happiness is pretty hard to say no to.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Is it a job you like?
    Is it enough to live on still?
    If so ... yes ... change jobs!
    Making a bit less is better than losing your job in a few months and making nothing.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Can you afford the paycut?
    Can you afford not to take the new job?

I'd do it.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    are there other 'perks'? will you have more or less insurance benefits?
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Yes I would. It is something you want and if you think it will make you happy, it will pay off in the end: better relationships, better health and bring more happiness to the people around you.

The cost of the stress from your other job outweighs the financial gain. It will affect your personal life and your health. It isn't worth it.

I chose to be self employed when the company I worked for closed down. I had been there for 9 years and had evolved from junior designer to senior designer. I didn't want to start back to zero at another firm. I knew the risks: no guaranteed work, no paid vacations and no unemployment coverage.
    It was worth the risk for me. I have two beautiful retired greyhounds who hang out with me all day long and I have great contacts who supply me with decent work. I get to do errands in the middle of the day, take naps and long walks with my dogs. My life is mostly stress free, I love it.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yes I would and I have done exactly that same thing. Life is too short to stay in a job that makes you miserable. Money is fluid it comes and goes. Staying in a job you hate will give you health troubles in the future and all the money you made at that higher paying job will have to go into healthcare and therapy. So do the thing you love, do it now without delay.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've already answered it...

current job: depressed and going nowhere
    new job: once in a lifetime opportunity

start packing up your *kitten*! :D best of luck to you!!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Once in a lifetime = something you'll always regret if you don't = YES!!
  • wldlndcpt
    wldlndcpt Posts: 25
    Options
    Absolutely! You really need to weigh the intangibles in this equation.... The stress is going to create more issues at your current job and no job is worth your health.