I need more vegan/vegetarian recipes!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Bleeeeeh
    Bleeeeeh Posts: 6
    Options
    A good hint if your going off protein is finding a good tofu or eating a whole lot more mushrooms lol. I've been vegetarian for 3 years now (As is no meat, this includes no fish). If your going to a low carb diet though, lots of tofu have high carb. If not try the already marinated tofu, they are a lot better lol. Lots of asian and mexican styles are great for vegetarians (italian is as well...but it's not as weight conscious), now for vegan...thats a whole different story lol. Vegans have an issue of having to much soy in their diet, if your drinking soy milk, eating soy food products thats no good, maybe try almond or rice milk? A good thing to do is eat a lot of greens, potatoes and carrots and pumpkin, corn all the bright vegetables are normally higher in starch. Anyway good luck on the vege side :)
  • rjain6
    rjain6 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, i have been a vegetarian all my life and let me bust the myth that vegetarians dont get protein in their diet, and the only way to get proteins is tofu and soybean. The other class of foods which provide all essential and non-essential amino-acids for vegetarians are the different kinds of lentils, beans and legumes. When I say different kinds - there must be 10-20 different varieties that you will never see in your nearby supermarket. Go to the nearby indian store to find lentils of different varieties - arhar, moong (yellow or green), yellow split peas, masoor, black gram, urad (black or green), all kinds of kidney beans and the list goes on. You can always make soups for all the following or find recipes on the net. Or go to your nearest Indian friend.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i'm no longer a vegetarian but i still like to cook a lot of vegetarian/vegan dishes. i was vegetarian for about 5 years.

i like ohsheglows.com! she has a great background story and lots of great recipes. as well as an awesome bengal cat.

for a little treat, i like eatmedelicious.com - not always the healthiest but there are healthy recipes on there.

i have a few vegan books - i recommend vegan brunch and vegan in 30 minutes. i heard appetite for reduction is a great book as well.

and the internet is always a great resource! there are many vegetarian/veganized recipes out there.

feel free to add me even though i'm not vegetarian anymore, i'll still love to help in any way!
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    and the only way to get proteins is tofu and soybean.

...untrue. Tofu and other soy products provide some protein, but certainly not the only protein you can get and definitely not the best.

Seitan is the quintessential vegan/vegetarian protein source. There is nothing else meatless that can compare nutritionally to it, I believe.

You can also try tempeh if you're into that sort of thing. (I am not into that sort of thing.)

Also, if you choose to be vegetarian rather than all out vegan, you can get ample protein from greek yogurt, cheese, eggs, and egg whites.
  • CorrieJane
    CorrieJane Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    like!
  • assilembob
    assilembob Posts: 18 Member
    Options

...untrue. Tofu and other soy products provide some protein, but certainly not the only protein you can get and definitely not the best.

Seitan is the quintessential vegan/vegetarian protein source. There is nothing else meatless that can compare nutritionally to it, I believe.

You can also try tempeh if you're into that sort of thing. (I am not into that sort of thing.)

Also, if you choose to be vegetarian rather than all out vegan, you can get ample protein from greek yogurt, cheese, eggs, and egg whites.

Beans, Nuts, quinoa...
  • assilembob
    assilembob Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also, join the Happy Herbivores group on here. Loads of information and recipes there as well.
  • SusuAtta
    SusuAtta Posts: 56
    Options
    When I'm looking for a recipe on the whim (or I just want to drool over delicious pictures of food), I go to www.findingvegan.com. It has pictures of various recipes (that are, of course, vegan), and gives link to the site they came from. It'll help you find amazing recipes and gives you peaks into various recipe blogs so that you can find your favorites :happy:
  • jeninfl
    jeninfl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 16 years, gluten-free for a year, and currently trying to transition to more (maybe fully) vegan. Feel free to friend me, I have some good recipes and am always looking for new ones!
  • jeninfl
    jeninfl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Protein is found in most plants. If you eat a variety of vegetables and fruits, you will get plenty of protein without having to think about it.
  • kgeldreich
    kgeldreich Posts: 73
    Options
    I love this website and these recipes!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/10/lemony-quinoa-with-butternut-squash.html

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/03/polenta-with-lemony-asparagus-and.html

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/05/ridiculously-easy-lentil-soup.html

Next few days aren't great for me but if you look back on my diary the last few weeks it's pretty good--feel free to add me!
  • SaraAnnMarie
    SaraAnnMarie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian but I do eat vegan at times and this website has great recipes http://www.theppk.com/
    Feel free to friend me, I'm new so I don't have many recipes up yet or much of anything right now.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Beans, Nuts, quinoa...

^^ Yes. Also, people don't realize that there is protein in broccoli, peas, mushrooms ... it's not animal protein, so it doesn't show up in the same way on your diary, but it's in there.

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/556369-the-21-best-muscle-building-foods-for-vegetarians/?utm_source=popslideshow&utm_medium=s1#slide-17
  • becky_stock
    Options
    I use those morning star crumbles to make meatballs too....soooo good!
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    vegetarian. bump for recipes
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    try going out and picking up a vegan recipe book, they have TONS of recipes for any type of meal you can imagine. also the interenet helps too :D
  • SkinnyCurvez
    Options
    Bump