what to do about hormonal hunger

Options
I get so much hungrier for the two days before my period. Not cravings -- real, grumbling hunger.
Should I respond to my body and eat even more than TDEE, just for those two days?

I am just starting Reset.

Thanks.

Replies

• ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I eat a little more during that time as well...I think my body needs it since it's doing more than normal work.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've read that our TDEE actually increases slightly during our period, but I don't know how trustworthy the source was. I give in and eat a little more during that time if I feel I need it.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I usually allow myself to eat at maintenance if I'm super hungry... the last two or three days I think I actually ate a lot more than that lol but if you're really HUNGRY and not just "craving", then I say feed your body. Your body is working harder during your cycle, so it needs the extra nutrients. I say go for it. :)
  • bellabrite
    bellabrite Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies:)

I used to really resist eating, but now I am starting to trust my body more. It must be hungry for a real reason. And I am really good about telling the difference between cravings and hunger, so that's not a concern. I'd love to see a scientific study about it -- I wonder if we really do burn more calories.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Actually, with all of the work your body is doing to purge your uterus, you burn an extra 500 calories per day. Now, that's the norm. Obviously this varies body to body, but add at least 250 cals to your regular food on those days. Your body needs it.

My source is a friend of a friend who is a registered dietitian.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I just give in. It's futile for me to combat the cravings. I just eat smaller portions.
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I get that too and I try to resist eating. For me, that is the time of the month when I lose the most weight. When I get crazy hungry I know that the scale will go down if I can make it through the next few days.
    good luck!
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't get overly hungry at ttotm - my digestive system seems to slow down...but the day it ends and or the day after I usually have gut eating hunger pains.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I will eat a little more or have two pieces of chocolate instead of one. As long as it does not destroy my hard work eating a little more for a couple of days won't hurt.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If I'm really really hungry I'll eat more, even if I end up over my goal calories. As long is it's not over maintenance, it's okay. The last thing I want is to make myself feel like I'm starving and deprived, because that would definitely make me want to binge.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh thank god,now i trust im normal.I get super hungry at that time.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I say listen to your body. There are days I want a lot more and days I want a lot less, like I might bounce from 900-1900 calories a day, but I average 1400, which is my goal. I could force it to hit that level daily but I'd be stuffing myself some days and starving others. It's silly.