is there a tick issue where you live?

Options
r1ghtpath
r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
if you live in the USA, do you have a tick problem/ epidemic?? i'm curious if there is a part of the country where ticks are NOT an issue, and not as prevalent as they are where i am....

thanks!

Replies

• SP2Bfit
    SP2Bfit Posts: 114
    Options
    yep...Northern VA....ticks and Deer tick are a huge issue, as is Lyme Disease...had the bullseye rash myself around 8-9 years ago (thank goodness I was symptomatic) and was treated...thankfully no joint or residual side effects since I was treated right away.... Because our property backs to woods on two sides and we have both cats and dogs that love the tall grass/woods we likely encounter even more ticks than average for No VA...ticks are nasty...GROSS!!!
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    We DEFINITELY have a tick problem here in NH. After any time outside hiking or walking through wooded or tall grassy areas tick-checks are a mandatory part of my routine.

http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml
    http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/02/01/new-map-shows-that-most-lyme-infected-ticks-are-in-northeast-northern-midwest/
  • _Triple_S_
    _Triple_S_ Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Northern MN is horrible...I swear you walk outside and they jump out of the trees to land on me. I dont go in the woods because of so many nests....YUCK.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    While some places are worse than others, any location that has trees is going to have a "bad" tick problem. My mom is constantly picking ticks off her cats and dogs and she just lives outside of town, not what I would really consider "in the woods".

If you're looking to get away from ticks, it's likely you'll have to move to one of those nice, dry, sandy and ridiculously hot southwestern states ;)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a tick in the Pacific NW. We just don't have many bugs, period. Most people don't even have screens or air conditioners. Short summers.

I lived in Lake Tahoe, no ticks.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i totally misunderstood the topic, i thought it was about fat issue, haha
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    They seem to be worse this year! I let my two chihuahuas outside for like five minutes and one had a tick already chomping on his little ear!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I'm in FL. My husband and the gal on his crew went into the woods to do a survey, and they both came out infested with dozens of the little buggers!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I live in the Southeast part of Montana and this is the first time I have ever seen ticks! We put tick killer in our yard and stuff on our dogs and that takes care of them pretty well, in fact, I have not seen one on the dogs or me in the last 3 weeks!

Before we moved here, we lived in Central and Western Montana and I grew up in Washington....no ticks in that part of Montana or in Washington.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    they are always bad in central Arkansas, but this year they are horrible. Especially the wee little ones. I have had 3 latch on to me, my son had one, my mom has had several and my poor doggies, several.
  • vkahlenberg
    vkahlenberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Grew up in Central California -- never saw one down where we lived, but occasionally way up in the mountains. Have since lived in Arkansas, Missouri, and Texas, and they can be bad in those places.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Live in NW Oregon, and SW Washington. Saw 1 tick, about 18 years ago, in SW WA on a neighbor's dog. Never in nearly 60 years have any of my indoor/outdoor cats or dogs gotten a tick. It's wooded & rural here, and I know there must be some ticks around, but I certainly can't say I've ever had a problem.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    if you live in the USA, do you have a tick problem/ epidemic?? i'm curious if there is a part of the country where ticks are NOT an issue, and not as prevalent as they are where i am....

thanks!

I was raised in Iowa and was bitten by a tick and developed Lyme disease...wasn't diagnosed until years later...I then developed epstien barr that they think was because of the weakened immune system. The doctor also thinks my fibromyalgia came from the tick bite and ensuing illnesses.

I live in Idaho now, and ticks are rare if ever seen...makes for a much happier me since I am now tick-paranoid
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've lived in northeast Ohio as well as southeast Arizona - I do not think I have ever seen a tick, nor have I heard of them giving anyone (or their animals) any issues.

I have not lived on a farm or in a farmland area, though. That could be why?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida, and the tall grasses here are loaded with ticks. We never go hiking without bug repellant. Mosquitos down here also carry disease unlike many other areas of the US.
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    yeah long island... especially at the end of the island, like southampton and stuff.
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Africa..... Funny enough no tick problem...... Huge AIDS problem tho lol
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    While some places are worse than others, any location that has trees is going to have a "bad" tick problem. My mom is constantly picking ticks off her cats and dogs and she just lives outside of town, not what I would really consider "in the woods".

If you're looking to get away from ticks, it's likely you'll have to move to one of those nice, dry, sandy and ridiculously hot southwestern states ;)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AHHH,NOOOOOO!!!We have 'em all too,including centipedes..and those sucker's are FAST!!!!
    I have long thick hair, and have woke up and have found ticks..freaks me out!!!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Africa..... Funny enough no tick problem...... Huge AIDS problem tho lol
    I just ... I mean. I want to say "lol" back but. I mean. I just can't.

It kind of reminds me of that episode of South Park, "Jared Has Aides". Y'know?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^AHHH,NOOOOOO!!!We have 'em all too,including centipedes..and those sucker's are FAST!!!!
    I have long thick hair, and have woke up and have found ticks..freaks me out!!!
    Yeah, centipedes are evil and disturbing and I can't stand the very thought of them. I guess maybe you have to live in the arctic, then, to get away from them? I don't know. Blood sucking critters are going to live wherever critters live. Bleh.
  • gizziemonkey
    gizziemonkey Posts: 451
    Options
    I live in Central Maine...and I have heard that the ticks this year are worse than in previous years....most likely due to the mild winter and strange warming we had in March. I personally have never seen a tick...but I am certainly waiting as I do enjoy a stroll through the woods....egads....did I mention I am scared of creepy crawlers!!!