Proform Treadmills -- 345s or j4?

Options
I've been lurking on Craigslist for a few weeks for a treadmill under $200. I have 2 options now:
Proform j4 and Proform 345s.

My boyfriend and I had decided to make an offer on the j4 last night ($180) and the seller accepted the offer. It's about 40 miles away so we'd go pick it up. The ad contained pictures & the treadmill looks like it's in fantastic shape.

This morning there's an ad for a Proform 345s which is a crosswalk treadmill. No pictures. They're asking $200 and I'd offer $180 or so for that one, too I guess. It's about 40 miles away in the opposite direction.

My main concern with a treadmill is that it will operate safely and smoothly with all of my 244 pounds running on it. The seller of the j4 said I should have no problems (of course he said that! :laugh: ). From what I can tell, the 345 has a 250# weight capacity. I couldn't find much about the j4 online, but one place said a 350# weight capacity.

Has anyone used either treadmill? Pros? Cons? Recommendations? Are they worth $180 lightly used? I've never bought or owned (or really even used much) a treadmill so I figured my best bet is asking a group who knows. :wink:
Thanks!

Replies

• annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't know what number we have but I know it's a proform. I think one that is slightly used should be fine. We've used ours regularly for the last 4 years.
  • rockgoddess
    Options
    Not sure on the model number but, I have the Proform 735CS and it's still going strong for 8 years now! Great treadmill. Oh, mine was $800 new.

294999.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I decided to go with the J4 even though it's probably a year or 2 older. From what I can tell, it is worth more, it's less used, it was better kept, the sellers were nicer, and the very few reviews I saw online seemed much more positive. And although it's kind of stupid, I didn't like that the 345s is a "crossWALK" because I don't want to walk, I want to run. It just kind of led me to believe that if it was designed with "walking" in mind, then it's really not going to be very happy about 2 people who weigh over 200 lbs. *running* on it. :laugh:

Anyway, thanks again!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I am over 200lbs and run thousands of miles on our treadmill. I've had a TRUE treadmill and it's held up very well. I hope you are happy with the purchase and have good luck with it. I only write for a few key points about treadmills.

1) Lube the deck, and follow the directions. It's usually easy to do and should not be neglected.

2) Get it professionally cleaned and adjusted every couple years, depending on distance. You can do this yourself but if unsure have someone do this. Most folks that sell them also do a quick service for $40.

3) Make sure the belt is properly tightened, and balanced

It will help a good treadmill last a long, long time. Ours is going on 10 years with around 4,000 miles so far.
  • andreaprojectme
    Options
    I have just ordered a treadmill (it is being delivered on tuesday) however being as heavy as i am i did not realise that i was 10kg heavier than the max weight on the website. Do you think that it will be ok or should i cancel the order until i lose the weight - i just wanted to start running as a way of getting my heart rate up and losing the weight

Ideas??

thanks
    Andrea x
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    No worries in my opinion Andrea. I am sure they don't design it to break at the weight limit. Second, it's not like you will be hammering a blistering pace right away. I'd say use it to get on track and don't worry.

Just for reference, I am tall and a good runner. My weight will range between 95 to 100 kg and would crank at 9 to 10mph on a treadmill. That's hard pounding and it handled it fine.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Andrea, I think you'll be fine. I got my treadmill today. I don't know exactly what the weight capacity is because I can't find any information about it that I actually trust. I weigh 244 and I was running 6mph on it with no problems (haha, well with no problems with the treadmill... :tongue: my lungs, on the other hand...:sad: ). It was the best workout I've gotten since I started working out 2 months ago.

I don't really believe in "signs," but I was online while the local news was playing in the background and I overheard my city's annual half-marathon, including 5k, and fun run will be back again in 2010 (there hasn't been one in years). It's in 3.5 months so this year I'm going to register for the fun run (1 mile). And next year, I'll definitely be running either the 5k or the half-marathon depending on my progress. :happy:
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I own a J8, purchased it from Sears in 1999 and never had one problem with it. I tend to rack up a fair amount of mileage. It was a top of the line Proform and was on the floor. They had no others so I purchased the floor model, Sears gave me the same guarantee as a brand new boxed model. I love mine and can't imagine being without it! I hope you love yours too. After you've used it for a bit, come back and tell us your impression. Good luck.
  • andreaprojectme
    Options
    thanks guys. will let you know how i get on when it comes tomorrow. I am also thinking of taking the plunge and registering for a 5k in the new year (although something inside keeps telling me give it 6 months and go for a 10k) gonna have a think as it will be quite the inspiration knowing that i have something really challenging to train for.

I am sooooo excited for it getting here, I cant wait!

Andrea x
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    After you've used it for a bit, come back and tell us your impression. Good luck.

Still loving my treadmill! It was a good purchase & I'd make it again. I've probably racked up at least 100 miles on it so far and it's not having any problems. We had to readjust the walking belt which was a bit of a pain to get it straighter & to stop it from moving around but I think that was mainly because it was adjusted incorrectly whenever the treadmill was assembled in the first place.

I've been working on running for 2 months now. At first I could hardly run 30 seconds without being very uncomfortable. I see above where I wrote I weighed 244 then. Now I weigh 224 (hey, losing 20 pounds in 2 months over the holidays isn't too shabby! :wink:) & can easily run 7-8 minutes at a time. It's not great, but I had a long way to go to even get to this point whenever I first started.
    Training for a 5k in May & a half marathon next Feb. :smile:
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill a few months ago...sometime in the summer. I also bought it off of craigslist..it's a proform 950 xl...i got it for 50 dollars...i love it. I run on it for about 30 minutes straight..with No problems.

Enjoy you treadmill and good luck on your journey :) half- marithon
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    LittleSpy, I don't know if you're still active here, but I found this thread through a google search for info on the Proform J4. I couldn't find a review of it anywhere, and I found one on Craigslist that is in my very low price range, but I was scared that I would waste what little money I do have right now for a treadmill that is a hunk of junk. After reading your comments, I think I'm going to go for it. It looks well taken-care of, the lady selling it was extremely nice and is willing to throw in the rubber mats that protect the carpet. So, thank you very much for taking the time to come back and share your experience with the J4. After I get mine, I will do the same.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Hey Kelly -- yep I'm still here. And my J4 is still alive & kicking. :wink: I would buy it again for sure.