what measurements should i be taking?

Options
I hear lots of people saying that they lost x amount of inches all over. But I don't know what I should be measuring and keeping track of.

Replies

• Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I measure my shoulders, bust, waist, hips, arms and legs.
    Just measure it at the exact same point every time. (just measure the smallest part of your waist, the thickest part of your thighs etc)
    Then just measure it every 2 weeks or so to keep track :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Sharmender is correct EXCEPT for a bit about the waist. As you lose weight, your "waist" can shift, and make the measurements not as accurate. You want to measure the smallest part of your waist, but also measure around your belly button--your belly button is not going to move!

I just recently started measuring my thigh--I have a scar ( damn cat!) towards the top of my thigh, so I measure over it. I wish I had been measuring my bicep, because I just discovered muscle definition a month or so ago!

I measure:
    bust
    waist
    belly button
    hips ( just found the bone 2 weeks ago)
    R thigh
  • hh6roberts2012
    Options
    Thank you. :) I just wasn't sure if there was a specific set of areas when people were saying what they lost all over. And thank you sarahrbraun. I was measuring my stomach wrong. Glad I just took measurements so I can still fix my numbers
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I measure chest (above boobs), bust, waist, belly button, hips, thigh, calf and arms.

It's really up to you.
  • Ashley870910
    Options
    Your belly button does move, depending on how big you are. Ive already noticed mine is moving upwards to where its suppose to be!
  • Ashley870910
    Options
    Sharmender is correct EXCEPT for a bit about the waist. As you lose weight, your "waist" can shift, and make the measurements not as accurate. You want to measure the smallest part of your waist, but also measure around your belly button--your belly button is not going to move!

I just recently started measuring my thigh--I have a scar ( damn cat!) towards the top of my thigh, so I measure over it. I wish I had been measuring my bicep, because I just discovered muscle definition a month or so ago!

I measure:
    bust
    waist
    belly button
    hips ( just found the bone 2 weeks ago)
    R thigh
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!