Uk drivers, please answer my question

Options
Kirkajuice
Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
I go to the gym at around half five in the morning. I park in a car park and have to walk past disabled bays by some shops to get to the gym which are free. There is a sign saying "Disabled badge holders only, 9am - 5pm". Does that mean I can park there between 1700 and 0900? I don't want to park there if I'm not allowed, even if I haven't seen any cars in them at the time I go to the gym in the morning.

I have asked several people this who have been driving for years and nobody can give me an answer, I don't want to just park there if I'm not supposed to.

Replies

• Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Probably depends where you live and what time the traffic wardens have finished. Where I live, traffic wardens are done by 6pm, so everyone parks wherever they want to after that!
  • monpettitefleur
    Options
    Yes that's the case I'm afraid.
    Some attendants aren't as frequent but personally don't want the £30 fine.....that often doubles if not paid within x amount of days.

Think of the walk as a warm up ;)
  • claremillerphoto
    claremillerphoto Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would say the restriction only applies between 9am to 5pm so yes - you can park there up to 9am.
  • Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'd park there after 17:00 - why specify times if they're not going to adhere to them? Seems a little odd.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think this means you can park there between 5pm and 9am. However, if it is a local Authority car park you can call your local Council/Highways department and they can give you a definitive.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    I agree - you can park there outside the hours specified on the sign. HOWEVER, personally I'd just park in the normal spaces and walk - bit of extra exercise at least ;)
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    basically its exclusively for disabled drivers between 9am and 5pm....... before 9am or after 5pm then anyone can park there
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't park in a disabled bay no matter what time of day, unless I was transporting a disabled passenger and had the badge to display inside the car. In leicester, there is no real concept of 'disabled' parking and the big supermarkets like Tesco, Sainsburys etc have no issues whatsoever with non-disabled parking in the reserved bays.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    'Course, you might get some official who books you because they got the rules confused and you now have to waste time fighting it through small claims court or something.

Park at the far end of the car park and consider it a warm up. :D I tend to park in the middle of the car park unless it's raining and let people who need to park closer but are not disabled or have children take up the nearer spaces. Free exercise, innit.
  • mummyv811
    mummyv811 Posts: 237
    Options
    I would say the restriction only applies between 9am to 5pm so yes - you can park there up to 9am.

^^^^ This! It has stated times that you can't park there so by process of elimination you CAN park there the rest of the time :happy:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Check with the local authority in the first instance, but otherwise, since the sign specifies times go with that. Me personally, I'd be one that wouldn't park in a Disabled bay regardless of the time, unless I happen to have someone with a Disabled badge in the car with me.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at around half five in the morning. I park in a car park and have to walk past disabled bays by some shops to get to the gym which are free. There is a sign saying "Disabled badge holders only, 9am - 5pm". Does that mean I can park there between 1700 and 0900?
    YES.

The car park is probably run by the council or A.N.Other Ltd. on their behalf. As a rule, if there is a disabled bay, I will not park in it at any time, because you never know who genuinely might need it at any time of the day.

At my gym, the staff park in the disabled bays (which I'm sure they probably only have to provide as a statutory regulation) but I think it sets a very bad example.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It's not the walk I'm bothered about, it's paying for car parking and that where I do have to park is kind of dodgy and doesn't feel very safe, I wouldn't even consider it if I'd seen them in use at that time of day. There are maybe 15 to 20 spaces there, plus more around the corner. I might call the council and check with them at some point to see if it's ok. I'm always gone by quarter to seven before the shops open so I guess that's why they're empty.

Edit: it wouldn't be extra exercise, they're about the same distance as the car park, it's not a gym car park, the gym is in the middle of a pedestrian area and doesn't have one. Car park is a dark (no lights) multi story with drunk people next to a park also full of drunk people. I just cannot afford to go to another gym :ohwell: