what the hell happened?

Options
i dont understand it. i worked my butt off yesterday, and didnt go over my calories either, and i gained. im only doing areobics for now so i doubt its muscle. im so discouraged right now. i went from 250.1 yesterday to 250.6 today. i know you arent supposed to weigh yourself every day, but i do wii fit and it does it for you.

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh every day, it will help to keep an eye on that graph and look for downward trends. Daily fluctuations in weight are normal due to water retention, injury, not going to the bathroom, wearing different clothes, whatever. Don't worry about a small gain from one day to the next. It's not a fat gain.
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Water retention? It happens to me too :-( Just keep working and only pay attention to it weekly!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please.... Don't look at the scale each day. Or, if you must, ignore daily fluctuations. Best would be a weekly measurement. There is just too much variation.

You need to be patient and take a long term view. And relax. If you are meeting your daily food goals and you are exercising, you will definitely lose weight, over time. Just maybe not today, or tomorrow.

--Prahasaurus
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh every day, it will help to keep an eye on that graph and look for downward trends. Daily fluctuations in weight are normal due to water retention, injury, not going to the bathroom, wearing different clothes, whatever. Don't worry about a small gain from one day to the next. It's not a fat gain.

All of this is true. Don't worry until you see a 3 to 4 pound gain.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    As above, it's just a fluctuation and not anything to worry about. If you're going to weigh yourself every day you can't be that concerned about the daily ups and down. You'll make yourself nutty.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you've just started exercising, sore muscles absorb water to help them heal. It could also be hormonal changes or too much sodium or any number of other things. Fiddle with the settings on your Wii Fit, there is a way to skip the body test every time!
  • cassidysmommy
    Options
    would it matter that i upped my calories yesterday? i went from 1.5 pounds a week to 1 pound a week. i founf the amount given at 1.5 pounds a week wasnt enough.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options

All of this is true. Don't worry until you see a 3 to 4 pound gain.

Even 3 to 4 pounds could be water. Don't worry until you see a large gain that doesn't go away again within a few days, or if your graph starts trending upward over the course of a week rather than downward.
  • cassidysmommy
    Options
    i do remember not drinking as much water yesterday as i usually do.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but only for the knowledge. I have lost 44 lbs so far, and there have been mornings where the fluctuation is as much as 4 lbs. Depending on how much you ate late the night before, how hydrated you are, how much have you eaten prior to being weighed.
    It all comes into play, but over the last 120 days, I have seen the downward trend, although not everyday.
    Keep up the good work, give it an honest shot, and keep taking the next right step!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I often gain the day after a work out especially if it is a different one or more intense. You retain some water in your muscles to help them heal.

I also weigh daily and it fluctuates like mad but I never let the number affect my day. Over the months the number is going down so even though it is slow I am happy with that.

Try to concentrate on getting fit, eating right, and improving your strength and stamina, the rest will follow. You are doing the right things, keep it up.
  • aitchy
    aitchy Posts: 1
    Options
    I weigh every day and one day last week (around ovulation time) I put on 2.2lbs. This morning I had lost 2lbs. Don't be disheartened.
  • Mel_t_away
    Mel_t_away Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    would it matter that i upped my calories yesterday? i went from 1.5 pounds a week to 1 pound a week. i founf the amount given at 1.5 pounds a week wasnt enough.

Hey yes it would make a small difference as more food. So its probably just food in transit. Try not to let it worry you.

I weigh daily as it helps me to see what different foods or exercise does to my body, some make it retain and sometimes i get random drops which are also false.

As long as you haven't gone over your maintenance allowance its not real weigh gain.

Mel x
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    yes yes...don't weigh yourself every day!! Once a week...on a consistant day!!!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

nope, it won't matter. you're still at a deficit.

i go up 2 pounds every time i do exercise that is hard for me. i also gain as much as 4 pounds between morning and night, then it disappears again in the morning.

no need to get discouraged - keep at it with wii fit each day like you are doing!
  • impyimpyaj
    Options

*If* that is a factor, it still wouldn't be a true fat gain as you're still eating at a deficit. As someone else said, you might have more food "in transit," and it might be good old-fashioned water weight if the foods you ate were high in sodium.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    First your body fluctuates daily up to a couple pounds for some. Secondly becoming discouraged over a .5lbs gain is silly. Weigh your self weekly and only pay attention to those numbers. If the game weighs you than let it but only pay attention once a week. Last but not least. You didn't gain the weight over night so don't expect it to be gone over night! Good luck to you!
  • cassidysmommy
    Options
    thanks everyone. i am feeling a little better now. maybe tomorrow ill lose a pound lol. ill just keep doing what i am doing and see what happens
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and use fitday to make a chart, don't worry about small fluctuations one bit.

4l4zrb.png
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Others have said it, but I'll say it too as it's true.

Your normal body weight can fluctuate +/- 2lbs naturally, that's up to a difference of 4lbs, and that's just the average fluctuation.
    It's different for different people.

Water retention can be a factor from working out, even cardio based workouts require repair and need water rentention.

The best thing to do is get on the scale once a week at the most. Even then you may some some gains, so if possible avoid the scale for a couple of weeks at a time or more.

It's a slow process, but the best way to do it. It didn't take you a day to put the weight on, and no matter what you do it will take a long time to come off, but if you do it slowly and properly, it will stay off.