looking for best low/free sugar protein and recovery drink

Options
mmreed
mmreed Posts: 436 Member
Looking for some of the better options for sugarfree or low sugar post workout drink.

I do 30 mins of weight training 3 days a week - nothing incredible hulk oriented, but do work with a trainer those sessions to keep me moving in the right direction. Ater weights, I do cardio shooting for 400 calories burned. usually 30-45 mins

On the off days I do extended cardio - shooting for 600+ calories burned. usually 1 hour+

Im looking for suggestions for a post workout drink to give me the right mix of whats needed to keep my muscles repairing and avoid any loss of muscle -

anything that helps with fat burn is a plus.

Im new to all of this, so please pardon my seemingly novice question.

Replies

• aleks80
    aleks80 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi. I use USN Pure Protein IGF-1. 40g of protein (made of 5 different types of protein that are all released at differing speeds so that the muscle keeps recovering long after you drink it) but only 1.2g of sugar. Its also got a whole mix of important vitamins, amino acids, enzymes, etc that benefit recovery and general health.

http://www.usn.co.uk/product/Protein-Shakes-Meal-Replacements/Pure-Protein-IGF-1-228kg/33

Not sure if you can get it in the US though. If not look out for something similar. My advice would be to steer clear to the cheap protein shakes (unless its a good one on offer) as they don't usually have the right quality of proteins (probably just Whey Protein) and usually higher in sugars as cheap proteins have sugars and lactose within them. Try to look out for shakes which contain Whey Isolate not Whey Protein (it has a higher concentration of protein with significantly less sugar and lactose) and a mix of other proteins (e.g Egg Albumen, Casein, Soy Protein, etc).

Hope this helps.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Looking for some of the better options for sugarfree or low sugar post workout drink.

I do 30 mins of weight training 3 days a week - nothing incredible hulk oriented, but do work with a trainer those sessions to keep me moving in the right direction. Ater weights, I do cardio shooting for 400 calories burned. usually 30-45 mins

On the off days I do extended cardio - shooting for 600+ calories burned. usually 1 hour+

Im looking for suggestions for a post workout drink to give me the right mix of whats needed to keep my muscles repairing and avoid any loss of muscle -

anything that helps with fat burn is a plus.

Im new to all of this, so please pardon my seemingly novice question.

Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey
    http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/natural-100-whey-gold-standard-p-202.html
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hi. I use USN Pure Protein IGF-1. 40g of protein (made of 5 different types of protein that are all released at differing speeds so that the muscle keeps recovering long after you drink it) but only 1.2g of sugar. Its also got a whole mix of important vitamins, amino acids, enzymes, etc that benefit recovery and general health.

http://www.usn.co.uk/product/Protein-Shakes-Meal-Replacements/Pure-Protein-IGF-1-228kg/33

Not sure if you can get it in the US though. If not look out for something similar. My advice would be to steer clear to the cheap protein shakes (unless its a good one on offer) as they don't usually have the right quality of proteins (probably just Whey Protein) and usually higher in sugars as cheap proteins have sugars and lactose within them. Try to look out for shakes which contain Whey Isolate not Whey Protein (it has a higher concentration of protein with significantly less sugar and lactose) and a mix of other proteins (e.g Egg Albumen, Casein, Soy Protein, etc).

Hope this helps.
    What's wrong with whey protein? I can't have soy products, so whey seemed to be a good option. Plus I need a low carb option, no sugar alcohols. What do y'all think?
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
  • kiki5104
    kiki5104 Posts: 2
    Options
    Ensure high protein shake it is low in sugar and high in protein! And has a bunch of vitamins and minerals! But not cheap!!! Hope I help and they taste delicious!!!:)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like Inca Meal by Peaceful Planet. I make it with almond milk and add a cut up banana. Though you can leave out the fruit if you are trying to keep the sugars low.
  • aleks80
    aleks80 Posts: 7
    Options

Hope this helps.
    What's wrong with whey protein? I can't have soy products, so whey seemed to be a good option. Plus I need a low carb option, no sugar alcohols. What do y'all think?

Hi jadesign19. Sorry, I wasn't trying to say Whey Protein is bad, its not. But if you need a high protein/low carb drink then Whey Isolate is much better, as normal Whey Protein has much more lactose and sugar chemically attached to it than Whey Isolate.

Exert from livestrong.com:
    "The primary difference between whey protein and its isolate form is the amount of protein, lactose and fat present. Whey protein powder contains anywhere from 11 to 14.5 percent protein, 63 to 75 percent lactose and 1 to 1.5 percent milk fat, according to registered dietician Marjorie Geiser. Comparatively, whey protein isolate is over 90 percent protein and contains roughly 0.5 percent of lactose and milk fat."

Downside is that the process of making Whey Isolate is much more than that of Whey Protein, so for a tub in the UK you will probably pay near double.

Reference to soy protein was an example, plenty of others out there if you are allergic/intolerant to any (I can't have wheat protein). Its good to get a mix of a few different proteins as they are all digested at different rates rather than hitting you all at once if it is just a single type of protein. But I agree Whey (again preferably in Isolate form) is the best and should be the main ingredient.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I love Muscle Milk Light. (My husband and son prefer the regular.) It comes ready to drink which is really convenient, and it's the best tasting protein drink I've found. You can pick both the regular and light up at Costco for a very reasonable price.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    skimmed milk