Excerising quietly at home... ?!?

Options
I have 9 and a half months to lose and tone as much as possible for my wedding.

My fiancee works evenings and I have 2 children so I struggle to do any excercise other than pushing the push chair around during the day. Any ideas and tips for quiet (the children are in bed and my house has VERY noisy floors) excercise that I can do in my house during the evenings would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You can get a dumbbell set
    You can google "body weight exercises"
    Exercise bikes are relatively quiet.
    P90X or other video tape based exercises are fairly quiet
    In good weather, if you can get away long enough, taking walks outside are great, even if only for 5 minutes at a time.
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment with neighbors downstairs. I got a set of rubber mats and they work great. I can jump and run on them without disturbing anyone. (They're like the ones for children sold at Toy R' Us or Amazon). I think they would muffle your noisy floors. You could also try yoga, which is pretty quiet, and get one of the thicker yoga mats. Good luck!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/

The loudest thing in this workout plan is jumping jacks, and if you really can't do those for fear of waking the kids, you can do something a little different to warm up. Arm swings, military march, etc. And the good thing about this particular workout is that you can do it whenever you have 2 to 5 minutes free. Do it while you watch tv, or while you're waiting for dinner to cook, or whatever.
  • richa79
    richa79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have 1 yr old and another one who is 6. I try to do exercise when my son is asleep but I find it very difficult to do exercise quietly. I pick my daughter from school by walk and in this way, I loose about 200 cal per day through walking / pushing push chair. I need to loose 2 stones and being a mum its very hard to look after yourself and when my husband reaches home from work, he seems totally exhausted so cant ask him for looking after kids too.
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment with neighbors downstairs. I got a set of rubber mats and they work great. I can jump and run on them without disturbing anyone. (They're like the ones for children sold at Toy R' Us or Amazon). I think they would muffle your noisy floors. You could also try yoga, which is pretty quiet, and get one of the thicker yoga mats. Good luck!

rubber floor mats. genius. why didnt i think of that!?
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I jog in place in my room with a loud fan on.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/

The loudest thing in this workout plan is jumping jacks, and if you really can't do those for fear of waking the kids, you can do something a little different to warm up. Arm swings, military march, etc. And the good thing about this particular workout is that you can do it whenever you have 2 to 5 minutes free. Do it while you watch tv, or while you're waiting for dinner to cook, or whatever.

I just checked out this site. Looks like he has some great advice.
  • debzeppelin
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I have tried doing my Joanna Hall DVD in my living room but the floors in my house are so loud and almost bouncy that any amount of moving with my feet and the furniture is bouncing all over the place!!

I walk as much as I can with the push chair during the day and dont have the room for an excercise bike or anything similar. The angry birds plan looks good though. I will definitely give it a go.
  • autumnparty
    autumnparty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I live in an upstairs apartment and no sound barrier between floors so I'm always afraid to disturb the neighbours. My husband works nights, so sleeps during the day. My floors are also very creaky and squeaky! Only thing I have found to be completely quiet is the elliptica and Pilates. Treadmills take a pounding. Bikes sounds like a loud fan is running and I don't have to tell you what an aerobics workout amounts to in terms of noise. That said, I still do it.

I try to do the aerobics when the neighbours are out so they don't hear me but ive talked to them about it and they don't mind the noise, as long as its not after 9pm. I have a bicycle on an indoor trainer with an elliptical in the same room and that whole room is padded with foam mats (the puzzle piece ones). As long a my husband is sleeping before I start it doesn't disturb him. As for the kids well...they'll live ;)
  • longbird
    longbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are nice and quite for strength training without weights clonking around!
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A mini trampoline would be good for anything you do that involves jumping/jogging in place etc, or a really thick floor mat.

I'm in a similar situation and right now I'm doing the 30 Day Shred - there are jumping jacks, jump rope, etc. and I've just replaced them all with different types of boxing/light jumping in place.
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Here is a great little video called 8 minute abs, very effective too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWjTnBmCHTY&feature=related
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walk at Home DVDs by Leslie Sansone - these are low impact aerobics. The "routines" are so simple you can mute the sound & use an MP3 player with earbuds. Here's a short sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related

I love my puzzle mats. They do come in different thicknesses (try a sporting goods store for thicker ones). But you can find these many places, I even saw some green ones in the camping department at K-Mart.