weight gain from muscle

Options
a lot of people talk about gaining weight "but it's okay because some of that is muscle gain" after a big workout. no. this is wrong. weight gain from muscle will be over a prolonged period, even a 1 pound gain in muscle will take months due to your body synthesising the material, so you won't suddenly gain 1 or 2 pounds due to muscle, it's a slow process.
just thought i'd let you know.

Replies

• Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Unless your body retains water from intensive lifting then you would gain 1 or 2 pounds.

Just thought I'd let you know.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Just thought i'd let you know.. This has already been beaten to death.. and you're not telling us anything new.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Just thought i'd let you know.. This has already been beaten to death.. and you're not telling us anything new.

GIve 'er a break.
    Maybe not us, but there will be 2-3 people today posting "omg i gained 8lbs after coming in contact with weights" threads, and 2-3 more people telling them "ITS ALL MUSCLE!!"
  • SheTrucker
    SheTrucker Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :( I'm so sad! I gained 3 pounds last week, and that was the most diligent I've been with keeping calories low and being consistent with cardio and weights. Gaining weight due to muscle gain is all I had to hang on to lol! O well, back to the drawing board I guess!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

If it has been beaten to death; why is it then a common response on threads? "OMG, I gained 2 lbs after 3 days of lifting for the first time?" Chime in numerous responses of you've gained muscle! Sorry OP is right and that people need to be informed more that it is not correct. For a female who actually wants to gain muscle, I know just how hard it is eating right and in a surplus to gain actual muscle let alone many who are eating in a deficit thinking its pure muscle gain.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :( I'm so sad! I gained 3 pounds last week, and that was the most diligent I've been with keeping calories low and being consistent with cardio and weights. Gaining weight due to muscle gain is all I had to hang on to lol! O well, back to the drawing board I guess!

No, "muscle weight" wasn't all you had to hang onto. You also have water weight, which is the much more likely cause of your weight gain.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

water retention! Due to muscle repair ( from lifting), the heat and humidity, or impending TOM. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    This why I encourage people to take body measurements along with weight tracking.
    You can even plug these numbers into a formula to determine bodyfat.
    Here for free: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

The scale is not the whole picture.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've always taken comfort in the little bump up in weight after working out. It's always said to me that I effectively worked my muscles and they need a good long drink to repair and build. Not a bad thing, cos built up muscles burn more calories which leads to more fat loss - which is what I'm ultimately interested in and isn't always accurately measured with the bathroom scale.