need some help from the runners

Options
So I really need a bit of help for the runners out there. I recently started running this interval program on the treadmill at my gym.

Goes like this:
2 min warm up,
30 sec @ 5.0 mph,
30 sec- @4.0 mph,
30 sec @ 6.0 mph,
30 sec @ 3.0 mph
and so on.

When I first started I could only do 8 minutes, then moved up to 10 mins, 15 mins, and now 20 mins. Here's my question. should I continue to move up on time or move up on speed? And at what point do you change up? I started this as HIIT but now I feel like I need 'more' something.

any ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bumping hoping for some help
  • Megdonald1
    Options
    help??
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    What are your running goals? If you're just looking to drop weight and improve your cardio a little, then the HIIT is great (although I'd do something closer to Tabatas or the Little method and get off the treadmill if you can). If you're wanting to train for something, then your plan would be different.
  • shushu71
    shushu71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally I would increase time over speed. The speed will automatically come as your body gets more conditioned. Are you doing straight running or run/walk intervals? Also, they say you should never increase your distance by more than 10% per week so as not to injure yourself. Hope this helps a bit.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    It depends on your goals. I have read that 20 minutes is the ideal length of time for intervals. However, it's also a good idea to increase your endurance with longer workouts. Are you doing any 30+ minute runs? If so, and if those are getting easier, it may be time to start picking up speed.
  • SheTrucker
    SheTrucker Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but it depends on why you're running. If you're running for distance and endurance I would increase the distance until it becomes easier then increase it again. If you're running for weight loss, I just recently read that a shorter higher intensity workout is more effective for weightloss than a longer less intense workout.
  • stmrunner
    stmrunner Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with shushu ^^ add time. With conditioning comes the ability to hold speed for longer distances.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    How many time a week do you run? Personally, I'd recommend running three times a week and having different goals for each session. Have a slow, steady run on a weekend gradually building up your total time to half an hour or more. One day a week, warm up for five minutes and push it a bit harder for 15 then cool down for five. Then for your third session do your intervals. You can stick to 20 minutes, but I'd gradually up your fast speeds by say 0.2 every so often.
  • Megdonald1
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!! I am very new to running. I am trying to lose weight for right now. I have to admit though, now that I started running it is becoming very addictive. I have a strong feeling that running is going to be a life long thing for me now. I am running two times a week (tue & thur) and lifting on M-W-F. I am greatly appreciate everyone who responded as I was truely at a loss for how to progress.