to those who dislike Jillian Michaels

Options
MsMuniz
MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
Why?

Just curious, I have seen a lot of comments about people not liking Jillian Michaels, or not liking her exercise DVDs.

I love her workouts, I think her tips on technique are great, and they WORK!

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Because people have personal preferences over how they work out.

Personally, I'm not a fan. Her voice annoys me and I don't enjoy myself during her workout (tried 30DS). Asking this is like asking "why do some people not like skiing?"....it's just preference. Nothing malicious.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I cant stand her when I'm exercising to her, but love her afterwards.

Her voice is a little annoying and her exercises are hard...very in some cases, but from what I've seen of her she means well and gets results.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am 50/50 on both her and Bob...

On one hand they are very motivating...i.e. if they can get someone up and get moving and make good food choices that is wonderful...

on the other hand they are sell outs...saying all you need is good food and exercise - all while hocking fat burners and diet pills...

I was listening to an older interview with JM the other day and they were talking about coffee...and she was saying you should only have a cup a day because of the caffine content...ummmm guess what is the #1 ingrediant in her "diet" pills - caffine...(also in Bob's too)

Overall the underlying message she promotes is good...but it has gotten mucked up along the way.

I started my journey with The Biggest Loser videos and her book Master your Metabolism so like I said she is motivating - I went further and educated myself about nutrition and changed the way i eat and exercise - which isn't in line with her anymore...so I take what she has to say with trepitation because at this point in her life she can't be herself as she has a "brand" to protect...
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Because she puts her name on products that I think are detrimental to health, sustainable weight loss and creates a culture of misinformation. She's also part of the mainstream diet machine and that whole institution makes me twitchy.

Simply put- I disagree with her. I don't know her personally so can't speak to her as a person.

*sigh* and I'm sure someone will quote me in a reply and try to argue about my opinion because after all, this is MFP, and opinions must be fought over.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Because she puts her name on products that I think are detrimental to health, sustainable weight loss and creates a culture of misinformation. She's also part of the mainstream diet machine and that whole institution makes me twitchy.

Another very valid reason. Around the time she rolled out her "7 day Detox" or whatever the hell it is called, she lost me.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I don't dislike her- I've only ever seen her 30DS DVD and I don't watch her show. But I do dislike her attitude of "anyone can do a jumping jack". Well, no, in fact I can't. My weight has nothing to do with it. I have super bad knees and jumping is out. She says this early in 30DS, btw. Later she acknowledges that you might have an injury and she gives you another option. I find it contradictory and I that's a personal peeve of mine.

But I wouldn't say I truly don't like her-just think she should have thought that through a bit before recording her entire workout.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Another very valid reason. Around the time she rolled out her "7 day Detox" or whatever the hell it is called, she lost me.

UGH I forgot about the 'cleanses'. I was just thinking of her weight loss pills. *twitch*
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Well, for one thing, the Biggest Loser, which is the only reason anyone's ever heard of her, is a complete sham. It gives people a completely unrealistic set of expectations regarding weight loss and healthy living. Almost all of the contestants gain weight back after leaving the show- partly because they're not working out as much, but more importantly, they're manipulated into starving and/or dehydrating themselves to push their numbers down.

Second, she's attached her name and likeness to a line of supplements that are the basis for several ongoing lawsuits. One of these products is called "Calorie Control" which promises, directly on the front of the box to "Reduce Caloric Intake". If that claim alone isn't enough for a lawsuit, then I don't know what is.

Third, since leaving the show that's made her famous, she hasn't shied away from any opportunity to plaster her photoshopped likeness to any product. In addition to her line of supplements, she has books, DVDs, a treadmill, etc. All of these products offer claims that are unrealistic and give consumers a false sense of confidence. It's clear she's more interested in maintaining her fame than actually helping people to live healthier.

Fourth, there have been multiple complaints about her qualifications as a trainer. Sure, she pushes her "clients" to work harder and give maximal effort, but often times this results in injury. Any trainer worth a damn has to have the health of their client as their highest priority, even if this comes at the expense of maximal effort. A trainer does need to push their client to work hard, but more importantly, they need to ensure that the exercises are being performed correctly in order to not only maximize their effectiveness but also to avoid injury.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I tried to like her, even bought some of her DVD's.....tried to do one and I didn't like it (I just don't like that type of workout) but the most annoying thing to me seemed that she was constantly hitting on the girls that were doing the workouts in the background. I don't want to see her pretending to bite someones *kitten*...seriously that was rediculous and yes I would have been annoyed with it even more if it was a guy doing the video....
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Her workouts are mediocre, she is sloppy in her presentation. The workouts I have seen (30DS) are unbalanced, and poorly choreographed.

Her "knowledge" of exercise, health, nutrition, and fitness is shallow--she doesn't really know that much, but uses a bunch of cliches to fluff up her presentation-many of them wrong.

She is all about "Jillian Michaels, Inc" first and foremost.

She epitomizes everything bad about shake and bake "certified personal trainers", and is the spokesperson for why that term has become meaningless as an indicator of quality.

Since you asked.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think she, like so many, are sales people first and instructors last, which is the crux of the problem with DVD style workouts, IMO. Aside from that, I think it's great that so many people are motivated by her.

Oh, and I hate the fact that people think she incorporates strength training into some of her programs.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Jillian is brutal, but I like her. I have done 30ds and Ripped in 30, and now I am doing 30ds again on off days of the time to mix up my workouts and hopefully get me to losing my stubborn weight again.

Some people do find her annoying. I will say that I hate her (because she is so brutal), but she gets the job done.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I love her - but I do call her a b!tch during any workout of hers I do.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love her workouts! They make me try harder. I have used many other workouts in the past and they dont push me enough. She yells and motivates me! :)
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I hate that she tells you what to do then walk off to show u the other people- that puts me off a lot. It makes me realise ill be doing that same move for a lot longer because I have to wait for her to come back and join in again- i prefer not knowing how long left there is!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Simply put- I disagree with her. I don't know her personally so can't speak to her as a person.

*sigh* and I'm sure someone will quote me in a reply and try to argue about my opinion because after all, this is MFP, and opinions must be fought over.

I'm quoting you FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! jk. Honestly, she works hard to put her name on stuff she would injest and agrees with, she is careful when selecting, that isn't to say that she is right about everything at all times.

I have a very high level of respect for her because I have purchased all her dvds, minus the new "p90x-like" one and I have never in my life enjoyed dvd workouts like I do hers. However... I do put her on mute and turn up some music, cause her crazy laughing and bad *kitten*-ness gets annoying. I do listen to her podcasts though, and she does know her ****. I won't knock anyone for not liking her cause everyone has different preferences..

For instance... I can't stand Tony Horton...:tongue:
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I think she, like so many, are sales people first and instructors last, which is the crux of the problem with DVD style workouts, IMO. Aside from that, I think it's great that so many people are motivated by her.

Oh, and I hate the fact that people think she incorporates strength training into some of her programs.

I agree- i dont think it is enough to claim as strength training- though the results have been great
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 14 lbs from the 30 Day Shred. That's all I care about.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I like her as a person, because I think she has a genuine desire to help people get healthy and live a better life. However, I would not like her as a trainer because she has a drill sargeant mentality, which would only make me feel inadequate rather than push me to keep going. I do not respond well to people screaming in my face.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

this is what KILLS me about her. There is no way she got her body by "body weight training" only... she says she eats 1500 calories of organic clean foods and maintains and looks like that? I'm pretty sure she goes on competition diets before all her videos/ photo shoots, I call her bull**** on that one. I still love her though.