Studying Abroad in Stirling, Scotland!

Options
femme62209
femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
Hey everyone! I am from the states but am currently studying abroad for four weeks in Stirling. I just took my first trip to Tesco on Sunday and had a lot of fun exploring the food packaging for the nutritional information. Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to some healthier brands/food choices that I could check out while in Scotland? Thanks!

Also- what exactly is Kopparberg? Is it alcoholic? Carbonated? thanks!

Replies

• femme62209
    Options
    Bump!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Kopparberg is a (Swedish) brand of alcoholic cider probably made from pears possibly with other fruits. It is carbonated possibly naturally from the fermentation.

In the UK "cider" is an alcoholic beverage, apple juice is what it says.

Scotland is infamous for the deep fried Mars bar. Tesco stock a vast range of stuff including own brands, plenty of real foods on offer without having to worry about what a brand even is.
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I can't help you with Scottish brands as I've not lived there for quite a few years.
    But Kopperberg is cider, it is alcoholic and carbonated (and tasty).
    If trying to lose weight, I would advise avoiding Greggs as very tasty but very fattening.
    Good luck exploring different foods
    Nicola x
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hello! I hope you have a great time - apologies for the weather :ohwell:

Kopparberg is a Swedish brand of cider - so both carbonated and alcoholic :wink: It should have a % value somewhere on the packaging!

I personally shop in Aldi - although the variety is generally much poorer, the fruit and veg is FAR cheaper than Tesco! It's also much better for things like free range eggs (6 for 99p), greek yoghurt, nuts (cheapest place i've found), coffee and cereals.

In terms of healthy brands/food choices - just keep away from the deep fried mars bars and you'll be ok :laugh:

Edit - oops, clearly my typing is too slow! Pipped to the post :smile:
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the Scottish brands, I just had to come in and tell you how jealous I am! My husband and I went on a UK vacation a few years ago and stayed in Stirling on our Scotland leg of the trip. It's just gorgeous.

There was a pear cider we got a few times that was really good, but I can't remember the name of it.

Eat some black pudding for me!
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Scottish oatcakes excellent as a cracker alternative with pate, try Arbroath Smokies if you get the chance also a pate made using them and cullen skink a type of chowder with smoked haddock as its main fish ingredient though I make one with mixed fish which includes white fish and smoked salmon.

All the above are reasonably healthy Enjoy your stay in Scotland:happy:
  • femme62209
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I am so excited to be here!
  • missismonty
    missismonty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    :happy: Welcome! I live in Stirling and its absolutly stunning :-) A must is a walk to the top of Wallace Monument.

Tesco, Morrisons, Aldi and Sainsburies all have low fat / healthy eating ranges. If you have transport then Aldis is good, a lot of cheaper and good quality fruit and veg.

Hope you enjoy your stay. :happy:

Missismonty
  • femme62209
    Options
    :happy: Welcome! I live in Stirling and its absolutly stunning :-) A must is a walk to the top of Wallace Monument.

Tesco, Morrisons, Aldi and Sainsburies all have low fat / healthy eating ranges. If you have transport then Aldis is good, a lot of cheaper and good quality fruit and veg.

Hope you enjoy your stay. :happy:

Missismonty

I plan on visiting the Wallace Monument within the next week- it looks beautiful and I am sure it has amazing views! Thanks so much for the advice!
  • StirlingJames
    StirlingJames Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also go up to the castle, the views up their are very good and the walk up the hill to get to it will burn a few cals! You're also reasonably close to Dumyat and the Ochils, worth going on a trek up these.