WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over my carbs

Options
Hi everyone....

So, I am a slow loser. I think part of my problem is way too many carbs and sugars. If you look at my diary, you will see that I am pretty consistently way over my carb and sugar intake for the day. I usually watch my fat. I am a vegetarian. I have been leisurely walking everyday, but not enough to break a real sweat. I had a foot injury, and the doctor hasn't cleared me for more rigorous exercise yet. I do eat out alot, but I am careful with what I order. Do you think the carbs are doing it? If so, how can I cut back? I feel like I am not eating anything out of the ordinary, so how is that I am so over? Any meal plan suggestions if you think this is the issue.

Thanks everyone! :)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I usually watch my fat. I am a vegetarian.
    The first of these makes reducing carbs virtually impossible, the second makes it harder than it is for meat eaters.

With carbs, protein and fat as the three macronutrients reducing carbs for a given calorie intake means eating more fat, assuming you have adequate protien (30% of calories, 1g per lb of lean body mass, etc).

So your first challenge is to embrace healthy fats and oils as a part of your diet. No more low fat this, lean that, light the other. Fat is your friend if you want to reduce carbs.

Avocado, nuts and seeds spring to mind as vegetarian fat sources. Cook in olive oil or coconut oil. Use oil based dressings, etc.

From your diary the LOL item was 0.75 cup of maple syrup. Otherwsie watch the bread, cereal and bread-type things (pitta, burrito etc). You can customise your goals for less carbs at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom
  • Silverberry1331
    Silverberry1331 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. Just want to be clear...when I cook using olive oil (something I never do, because I was trained that fat is not good), do I use moderation? I know that seems like a silly question, but I am seriously unsure.

Thanks again.