Thoughts on Protein Shakes?

Options
luzmidd
luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
When I'm in a hurry I make a protein shake with non fat milk as a meal replacement, maybe once a day.

Is it bad/good and why?

I'm on really low carb diet, with almost no sugar, so the shake also helps with my sugar craving.

Replies

• LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Because there are specific products called MRPs that are similar to protein shakes but are complete meal replacements. They have to meet a minimum requirement of minerals and vitamins.

A whey protein shake supplement, as the name suggests, supplements your diet with extra protein and should never be used as a replacement for a meal.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think if the product says you can use it as a substitute then you can, but I don't like the idea. If the product tells you not to substitute it for meals then you should not. Howver, if you are running late the protein shake is better than nothing.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    I think if the product says you can use it as a substitute then you can, but I don't like the idea. If the product tells you not to substitute it for meals then you should not. Howver, if you are running late the protein shake is better than nothing.

Would you please explain the difference between MRPs and a whey protein shake and revise your statement?
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    No LexyDB I will not revise my statement. That is my statement. By the way whey protein shakes are not the only protein shakes. If you really want to tell somebody they should revise thier statement you should go back and revise your statement to include other options, not just the point or things you want to talk about. I told her my thoughts on what she was asking, which only has to do with me not thinking it is a good idea to substitute and that she should check the product says it is able to be used as a substitute.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I eat up to 4 whey protein shakes a day. I make them with skim milk and bananas. I also eat a variety of normal "regular" food as well. You could certainly call my shakes "meal replacements" although I tend to think of them as just another item I eat during the course of the day. I have had good results and I feel amazing.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It's probably fine. Having a whey shake with milk is like grabbing a quick drink of chocolate milk (with more protein) for lunch. It's not ideal, but as long as you are eating enough real food at other times, not a problem. You couldn't replace your whole diet with whey but adding things like milk which has vitamins and minerals makes it a better meal. Adding fruit or other ingredients would add more calories and make the shake more of a meal. Most whey shakes say something like this on the side.

That said, if you are getting a significant portion of your calories from whey shakes, you should probably opt for supplemented meal replacements.
  • sisdunbar
    sisdunbar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I realised this when I bought the Maxitone Definity Shakes and Maxitone Sculptress shakes thinking they were the same thing. But you're right, teagirlmedium, they are different! One was a protein shake to help tone muscles, the other was actually a meal replacement shake (which is not what I wanted). There's more calories in the replacement ones and probably other stuff that's not in the regular protein shakes. So I use the Definity one after workouts sometimes and the Sculptress if I'm in a hurry and don't have time to eat Lunch say.