Wheat Belly Wondering???

Options
Hey Friends,

So I just heard about this whole Wheat Belly theory. I don't know much, but from the bit of research I have had time for, I'm almost convinced it's something that I need to try.

But............. wow...... it's SOOOOOOOOO restrictive!!! Is anyone eating like this? How long have you been eating like this for? Was it hard when you first started? Tips, tricks, etc?

As it is, I don't eat much, if any, processed food. I keep my carbs pretty low by just eating healthy. I don't count them though. Any grain I do eat is whole, but in general I don't eat bread much at all. So I'm thinking it might be an easier switch for me than most people.

On the other hand, I have read that wheat is actually addictive, so maybe I will miss it more than I think?!

MOST IMPORTANTLY.... HOW do you feel after being on this diet lifestyle?? I'm fairly fit and high energy as it is. I don't really have aches and pains... but I do suffer from migraines and heard it's suppose to help with those. Any personal stories will be truly appreciated!

THANKS MFP FRIENDS!!! :)

Replies

• tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about going gluten free?
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    oh god I hope this doesn't turn into a thread like yesterday's paleo thread. Give it a shot. I love it and am going on two years now. I would recommend checking out some paleo sites if you need help finding wheat-free recipes.
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about going gluten free?

No - Not Gluten Free:

Referring to a book titled "Wheat Belly" :

The author advocates avoiding wheat where all the evils of man are derived from the horrible facsimile of wheat that we are eating now based on the significant modifications that have occurred to the grain over time and with Genetic Modification. (Sarcasm - just sarcasm, not hating). I have a few friends who have read the book and are sold.... I'm not likely to go this direction personally.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    Ohhh....sorry...wasn't aware of this :-)
    Sounds a bit extreme? Atkins-ish?
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have been Eating no grains and no processed foods for 7 months and have never in my life felt better. I have not read the book but was just reading about it on amazon. Looks interesting - maybe I will download it on my nook.
  • jennyredfern
    jennyredfern Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    not sure I could commit 100%.... which seems to be required by the diet. Damn delicious Rye Bread! lol.... likely to at least read the book tho.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    I am all for everything in moderation.... could never give up wheat and grains....
    of course, I am a vegetarian but its not for health reasons, it is merely that I am grossed out by meat :)
  • GladKone
    GladKone Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband has been doing Wheat Belly for just over 2 weeks. He has lost 10 pounds doing the same amount of exercise as before the diet change.

He's German/Irish so a love of bread and potatoes seems to be genetic. He hasn't slept through the night consistently for over 5 years (up probably 4-5 nights a week). Since doing Wheat Belly he is sleeping through the night, says he has more energy and his mind is clearer, and he generally just feels better.

I'm doing Bob Harper's new eating plan and am eating no carbs after lunch, and am sticking really to just Ezekiel Bread instead of other breads. I do feel better and don't get that "starving" feeling. But I am going to read Wheat Belly and may try it because I have joint and gastro issues that this may help in alleviating.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I don't view it as all that restrictive. You're just not eating wheat. There are SO many other foods out there. It's not like you're cutting out all carbs, or even necessarily low-carbing. It's just cutting out wheat.

I recently started on the path toward paleo, and grains were the first thing I cut out. I've already noticed a significant difference. My belly is flatter, I'm having fewer bathroom problems (I used to be extremely irregular), and I have more energy. Since cutting out grains I have had them here and there -- a hamburger bun and some pizza -- and I definitely notice when I have those foods as I get gassy and a little sluggish.

That said, it's not for everyone. It seems to be working for ME. The only way you'll know if it's worth it for you is to try it.
  • caminogirl
    caminogirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just read Wheat Belly and find the argument interesting and somewhat convincing although I admit I'm always a skeptic when it comes to being presented with 'best selling' scientific data. That said, I've decided to give it a try for two reasons: first, it doesn't seem as restrictive as South Beach which I had good success with but missed my fruit and hated the Phase 1, 2 and 3 thing and second, wheat/grains and IBS do seem to have a connection and I'd really love to get that under control.

Hopefully it won't be too hard, although I'm not sure what to do with the bread maker now!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I just finished this book also, and found it very interesting. I do not think that poor wheat is evil incarnate, but I do believe that it has been so genetically modified over the years that it is no longer the grain it used to be. I have serious issues with my thyroid and with diabetes....and an IBS type situation. I've decided to eliminate wheat and major starches, and see how i fare. If i feel better, and see a drop in my glucose numbers....and more regularity in other areas, it may be well worth the life change...in my opinion.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Since there didn't seem to be a grain-free group on MFP (plenty of gluten-free or paleo, but those won't necessarily suit those who are grain free) I have created one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8298-grain-free

Come on over and share your tips and favourite grain-free recipes.