I gained 4 pounds this week....

Options
I never went over any of my calories, carbs, or sodium this week. I burned 3,000 calories in workouts this week. Yet this morning on my weekly weigh-in, the scale went up FOUR pounds!

I am really feeling discouraged about it because I have no idea what is going on. Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks

*I do want to say that I am allowed 1,950 calories per day but I usually keep it down at 1,200-1,400.

Replies

• TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm 2lbs more, I too have been within my allowance
  • mommytobrayden
    mommytobrayden Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Is it that TOM for you? A gain during that period is normal.
  • willot0722
    willot0722 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

What is TOM?
  • britneyblonde
    britneyblonde Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It will be water weight from exercising! x
  • willot0722
    Options

What is TOM?

OH haha nevermind. No, it was last week.
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you have been exercising it could be muscle increase and not fat. You could have lost inches, but just gained muscle.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any pain killers right now. NSAIDS can cause water retention. Also you should open your diary. People can help better if they can see what your doing.
  • willot0722
    Options
    It will be water weight from exercising! x

Can you explain this a little more??
  • saraya12
    saraya12 Posts: 13
    Options
    Gaining muscle?
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    so do you think the weight will just increase then? I know I've gained muscle, but not happy that I'm putting on and not losing
    If you have been exercising it could be muscle increase and not fat. You could have lost inches, but just gained muscle.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    it takes about 3500 calories in surplus to put on a pound. So in one week I doubt you added 4(that would be 14,000 cal), if your exercising and eating only 1400 a day. Probably water weight, or just discrepancies with the accuracy of your scale. You muscles/body/bones will retain more water to help fix/repair them from exercise

Now if that was a trend over several months then there might be something else going on. But I bet your good
  • willot0722
    Options
    Thanks everyone. i will try not to worry about it and see what happens next week.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you have been exercising it could be muscle increase and not fat.

No, it couldn't. For several reasons.

Assuming her diary is being correctly filled out, she's undereating by hundreds and sometimes thousands of calories a day. It is literally impossible to gain weight from either fat or muscle if you are on a calorie deficit. You can lose fat and you can gain muscle, but you cannot have a net gain between the two.

To the original poster. There are many days where you burn more calories from exercise alone than you eat. Do you really think this is a good idea? (Hint: No. It is a terrible idea and you are causing severe damage to your body). Read the stickies at the top and start eating.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Clearly, you bit off and swallowed someone's hand.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you have been exercising it could be muscle increase and not fat.

No, it couldn't. For several reasons.

Assuming her diary is being correctly filled out, she's undereating by hundreds and sometimes thousands of calories a day. It is literally impossible to gain weight from either fat or muscle if you are on a calorie deficit. You can lose fat and you can gain muscle, but you cannot have a net gain between the two.

To the original poster. There are many days where you burn more calories from exercise alone than you eat. Do you really think this is a good idea? (Hint: No. It is a terrible idea and you are causing severe damage to your body). Read the stickies at the top and start eating.

this
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I gained 4 lbs during one workout session.........it's just water retention from working out. Take a day or two off from working out, drink lots of water, watch your sodium, increase potassium and it'll drop right off.
  • HeatherNoyes
    HeatherNoyes Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i think you should try eating more. I know it sounds crazy but 1200-1400 and burning that many exercise calories is not working. I think your body is telling you to eat more.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    happens to me all the time -- huge swings. You will be fine, honestly. if you are doing what you should be doing, just don't sweat it.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    between Sunday morning and Sunday night i put on 6lbs i went from 184 - 190, back to 184 today so I wouldn't worry i can happen
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    *I do want to say that I am allowed 1,950 calories per day but I usually keep it down at 1,200-1,400.

Why?