no longer vegan

Options
I'm thinking about stopping the vegan diet and moving to pescatarian. No animal for 3years so I don't want to make myself sick. I respect the vegan and vegetarian diet. It requires a considerable amount of dedication. I have no interest in consuming dairy products though so milk, cheese,etc are still out of the question (plus I really don't miss it or need it considering my other calcium sources and my labwork shows that my levels are great-esp given my age of 35!!).

Any suggestions or useful opinions on this? :-)

Replies

• wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for over a year and I gave up...nothing happened...(I don't often have dairy products I think I'm actually intolerant)
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I re-converted (to omnivorism, that is) about 3 years ago. The first thing I ate was tuna fish with plenty of mayonaise...no digestional issues whatsoever.

My advice would be to definitely emulsify your protein sources (I am assuming fish) with some fat since this helps digesting high-protein/low-no fat foods. The fat stimulates bile production and helps with digestion...fat also helps digest eating lots of vegetables. Or you could just stick to eating already fatty fish (salmon, bass, etc.)

That's really interesting about your calcium. Was your Bone Mineral Density checked too, or just calcium levels? I've never been a big believer in purposely eating dairy solely for getting calcium...plenty in green vegetables, plus magnesium may play a more critical role in bone health later on in life (after childhood/breastfeeding years).
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I was not a vegan but was a vegetarian for 3 1/2 years and one day I was like "I don't feel or see a difference in my body, labs etc" so I quit. I still believe and try daily to focus on vegetables and fruits...that for me is key. We ALL should be eating more vegetables!
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for almost 20 years. I felt horrible most of the time as my iron was so low. I was really craving chicken and gave in and ate some and started feeling better. Shortly after I started eating some ground beef and felt even better. My blood work is better now (15 years down the road), even cholesterol, then it was back then. I still can't bring myself to eat a steak but eat beef a few times a month and lots of chicken and fish. You have to do what's right for your body.

Oh, and I had no problems switching over.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about stopping the vegan diet and moving to pescatarian. No animal for 3years so I don't want to make myself sick. I respect the vegan and vegetarian diet. It requires a considerable amount of dedication. I have no interest in consuming dairy products though so milk, cheese,etc are still out of the question (plus I really don't miss it or need it considering my other calcium sources and my labwork shows that my levels are great-esp given my age of 35!!).

Don't half-*kitten* it girlfriend. You need to jump in with both feet. Morton's every day for a week!
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Don't half-*kitten* it girlfriend. You need to jump in with both feet. Morton's every day for a week!

LOL