How to get a waist on avg size girl?

Options
I am 5'5 and 135 pounds. I would love to lose another 10 pounds, but I am "OK" where I'm at now. But the problem is I'm just SQUARE! My waist is flippin 33.5 inches around and I feel like I'm in pretty good shape! I run 4-5 miles 3-4 times a week and I'm doing NROLFW so I lift heavy 2-3 times a week also. I eat pretty much clean and whole foods. How do I get a smaller waist??

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing and see if that works.

Waist size will eventually just boil down to how you are built. Not everyone can have a small waist :(
  • rebeccadoudak
    Options
    Once you get rid of the fat waist size just depends on your body type. Im 5'5 and last time i measured at 160 pounds, my waist was at 32' .
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    Are you sure you are measuring the right place? You should be measuring the smallest part of your torso. For most women, that's an inch or two above the belly button.

If you are getting an accurate measurement, I think the only thing to do is lose a little more bodyfat. It's such a bummer we can't choose where we lose first.
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Completely depends on your body type!!
    I'm 5'5 and 131lbs.
    Based on my hip measurements I wear a size 2-4... but based on my waist I wear a 6-8.
    Some people have smaller waists... others don't.
    I have an inverted-triangle body type.. so no matter how much weight I lose.. I will always have a wider waist.
    It sucks.. but that's life. haha
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm a rectangle/banana too we just don't have good waist definition. Just keep doing what you're doing! I know how frustrating this is but that is just our shape. For what it's worth I totally feel you on this one!!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a small waist as an adult? If so you should be able to get back to it as you lose the remaining weight and tone up.

I never did, and a coworker who had danced professionally when she was younger and had put a lot of study into different body types once told me that my thick waist was the price I paid for having relatively long legs for my height. The shorter than average gap between my pelvis and rib cage doesn't leave enough room for a well defined waist.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am measuring about 2 inches above my belly button where the smallest part is. No, I've never had a small/defined waist but I've always had a pesky 10-15 pounds on me so I kind of wondered if that would help. We'll see. I'll keep going and see what happens!