overcome a life-changing injury?

Options
I'm feeling a bit low today - my leg hurts 4 months after surgery whenever I try to do a lot of things I used to love doing. I thought I'd make a full recovery, and I HAVE made a great recovery - I can do most things. However, it's starting to sink in that this pain and risk of further injury might be permanent, and that a lot of things might be over. Career as a field ecologist? Well, that was always shaky since I'm not the most amazing scientist in the world, but, yep, starting to think it might be over.

I've been diligently forging away at a replacement career, so I am fortunate enough to be happy and secure in that. So, yeah, I'll say that I've overcome a life-changing injury in that respect. Turns out I have mad-skills at coding, and don't mind sitting behind a computer screen all day providing I have lots of data to play with. It's not the same as jumping on snakes, but it is still good.

In terms of fitness, I have to change direction entirely. I was hoping to get back to running and hiking and all that, but I think instead I need to shift my focus to weights and upper body, and really build it to get the level of workout I like. Eating low cals, walking around, and remaining unfit just makes me mad! haha.

Does anyone have any stories of how they have overcome something, or even how they are overcoming it? *or even if you're struggling.

I could use some inspiration today! You can all think on it while I sleep. Thanks for being a place that lets me get that off my chest.

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    The weekend of my 21st birthday, I was destroyed by an 18 wheeler. I spent 4 years in physical therapy. Everything hurt. To this day when the weather changes, it's sometimes hard to walk. But i started slow, with walking and pilates, because I know that the human body is the most amazing thing that exists.

Because the more you do, and the longer you continue to consistently do it, you get better and stronger- not more sensitive to pain and weaker. Quite the opposite. Your joints and old injuries are better protected and get stronger, the healthy diet helps this as well. I never thought Id be able to run again, and now I can do a half every weekend in a month.

The great thing about lifting heavy is that you can work it into a circuit and get a great cardio burn during and the regular weights afterburn as well. I think that's a great idea for ya.

Good luck!
  • Montegue42
    Montegue42 Posts: 98
    Options
    I got both of my Achilles tendons/gastrocs lengthened (my surgeon kind of...made up a surgery for my specific condition, so the incisions were higher than Achilles but lower than a true gastroc) and I'm a year and a half out and /just/ starting to get back into dancing like I used to and running. This is not to discourage you! It just takes time and patience. Every once in a while I still get a little down because I can't jump and play with my friend's kid like I used to...but it gets better every day :)

The thing that I find the most important is that some things change your body completely. My surgery, for example, changed the way I walk and my stride. I just have to learn to do everything over again. Chin up! It'll get better!
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    Well I had a life-changing injury...sort of. On October 28th I had an emergency c-section. I know, not life-changing, but 68 days after my premature son was born he passed away. So it is life changing. Mentally and emotionally (even spiritually) I was destroyed. And the c-section is taking me forever to bounce back from...I dunno know why? Maybe because it's tied to everything else.

I have learned that we can use things as an excuse or as a reason! I have chosen to make a list of things (kind of like a bucket list) that I will do in honour of my dear David. My first was to run a 10k and I completed that 2 weeks ago. I have a bunch of other things in my future plans that I need to get fit and healthy for.

We can bounce back. Life may not be the way we planned but it doesn't mean we have to give up. I'm sure there are a lot of great things to come for you no matter what direction you choose to take. Best of luck with your journey:)
  • Knee2010
    Knee2010 Posts: 10
    Options
    In Jan 2009 I wrecked a motorcycle, almost lost my left hand and tore up my right leg. I had 2 different surgeons who made me the bionic woman with all the metal/hardware they had to use to put me back together again. The doc was very up front about my leg, he said his repair work was just a temporary bandaid/fix, that once all the broken bones healed I would have to have the knee replaced, it was damaged beyond saving. It took a year (wheelchair, to walker, to cane) to get the leg (thigh and shin) bones healed strong enough to handle an artifical knee but I had that done Feb 2010. The hand works great now (almost a year in PT for that) and my knee is good. I still have leg pain daily but when I think where I could be-I will take the pain every time.

No doubt about it, injuries suck. All we can do is keep on trying and don't give up. Don't ever give up!
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    What type of surgery did you have?

This November will be 2 years since I had one level of my spine fused, with the incision going through my stomach. I still have sensitivity and numbness on my hip, lower back fatigue and achy legs. It takes a long time to recovery from any major surgery...longer than you'd ever imagine. I had a pain flare up about 6 months ago, and the orthopedic dr told me strength training and walking were key.

My point is, healing takes a long time, and I think you are doing a great job working through recovery.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Not me, but my husband had his hand and forearm torn to shreds by the garage door spring a couple of years ago. The emergency room was going to amputate his thumb but decided to send him to a wonderful hand surgeon at another hospital. He put my husbands hand back together with pins, simulated bone (?), etc. We took the X-rays of his hand with all the pins and stuff and put it in our windows for halloween! LOL! It was really painful but he exercised that hand every time he was sitting still. He now has almost all of the use of that hand. It still hurts when he tries to grip really tight, but he can do it.

I am not in your shoes, but I do believe in miracles! I hope that you don't give up your dreams (just don't stomp on lizards - I like them!) I think our MFP pals here would be glad to support your effort to get healthy again!

Best wishes for your 100% return to health!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    While my injury is no where near the scale that yoovie's was (well done to you by the way!) I can understand your frustration and aggrevation of dealing with constant pain. Last year on June 8th I went with a friend to try out competitive badminton. I had just started my journey of getting fit and healthy that March. I was doing really well, the pounds were dropping off. Anyhow, I was running backward to go after a high shot. As we were playing in a gymnasium I wasn't sure how far back the benches were so in order to not slam into them I planted my feet and twisted and over reached to get the shot. At that moment I felt my bottom half of my left leg separate from the top half and twisted. To make a long story short, I tore my ACL, my MCL and my meniscus. I was on crutches for 6 weeks, then was able to use just one for another 6 weeks, I had rehab and PT. The pain and swelling just wouldn't stop, so in April of this year I had knee arthroscopic surgery.
    I am almost 3 months post surgery and doing so much better. I still have problems, if I work out too hard my knee swells and really aches. The part that frustrates me is I can't do a lot of things now, I have to be careful of the motions I make. Side lunges are out, I won't play badminton again, no start and stop sports and dancing is a bit iffy. Not that I was good at it anyway! I do love bowling but the doc is not sure my knee would hold up yet. He said it could be 6 more months before i'm fully healed. If I think about where I would be today if I had not injured myself I get really down about it. So now I am finding exercises I can do and getting back to it. I'm actually doing the Race for Life this coming Sunday, I'll jog a bit of it but that will be my limit I fear.
    Good luck to you, hopefully you will find your way and things that will work for you.
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I spent from 8 March last year until October completely unable to walk, and it was massively depressing at the time. I'd broken my foot right on the joint (Jones Fracture) and it didn't heal on it's own so I had to have it screwed together and endure another attempted healing process) I felt completely hopeless. The stares from people, especially children when I went to the store or the zoo, etc were really disconcerting, and I, like you was worried about my career (as a field anthropologist). I slowly started working on walking in October, and by December, with the help of specialized brace on my right lower leg I was doing really well. By February I was able to ditch the brace altogether. Unfortunately, on 21 March the unthinkable happened and I tore all of the ligaments in my left ankle, which put me out of commission until just a week ago. It's something that, while you're recovering can tear you down to you most basic self, where you have to relearn everything you do in every-day life. It's something that can make you cry and want to scream, but you push through it because, in the end you realize you've become a stronger person. My injuries have left my ankles badly arthritic (I'm only 26!) and there's over a 50% chance of both injuries reoccurring in the next five years....but I don't let it slow me down.

Whenever I'm unable to walk, I still make it to the gym...I work on upper body and strengthening my upper legs carefully. I've found going to the gym to be a great moral boost, because the staff is so accommodating and encouraging. Likewise, my fellow gym goers will come up to me, and instead of staring and gawking like regular people, they'll shake my hand and comment on my fantastic determination. It gives me hope and inspiration.

I won't ever be able to run for an extended period, but I recognize that, and move on. I can run on the gym machines because there isn't impact involved, and I know I could run if someone was chasing me! lol. The pain is just there to tell you to be careful...that you can push yourself just as hard as before, but you need to be conscious of the risks.

You probably don't want to hear it, because you probably have a million times (I sure have) but it takes time...you'll be back to hiking (I've planned a hiking trip for August as a motivation to get myself completely healed and fit asap) and other activities in time. You just need to be patient. You do have a new set of limitations, but that's a new set of challenges to work around and overcome. Stay motivated and take baby steps. Make goals for your recovery and work closely with your physical therapist and ortho surgeon to meet those goals.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Well I had a life-changing injury...sort of. On October 28th I had an emergency c-section. I know, not life-changing, but 68 days after my premature son was born he passed away. So it is life changing. Mentally and emotionally (even spiritually) I was destroyed. And the c-section is taking me forever to bounce back from...I dunno know why? Maybe because it's tied to everything else.

I have learned that we can use things as an excuse or as a reason! I have chosen to make a list of things (kind of like a bucket list) that I will do in honour of my dear David. My first was to run a 10k and I completed that 2 weeks ago. I have a bunch of other things in my future plans that I need to get fit and healthy for.

We can bounce back. Life may not be the way we planned but it doesn't mean we have to give up. I'm sure there are a lot of great things to come for you no matter what direction you choose to take. Best of luck with your journey:)

In 2008, my first-born son, Andrew, died after fighting in the NICU for a week. He was born 13 weeks premature. We now have a beautiful and healthy two-year old boy. Having been through it, losing a helpless little baby is the most horrifying thing I can imagine.

However, that trauma really changed my body, my stress response. I was diagnosed (thankfully) with severe sleep apnea, so now I can at least let my body rest, but it's weak. Weaker than it's ever been. I'm slowly building up my exercise tolerance and NEVER GIVING UP!
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    May 24, 2007 I was in a terrible auto accident. I was in rush hour traffic and hit by another car, which caused my car to spin 180 and then flip/roll down a ravine and into a grove of trees. I blacked out and the last thing I remembered was thinking that I wasn't ready to die. I came around when a rather large man woke me and pulled me from the wreckage through my sunroof, and then carried me up the ravine. I never found out who he was, but I will never forget the way he looked at me while he was carrying me. I was unable to walk and couldn't feel my right leg at all (among other serious injuries). I spent hours in the ER while they "tended" to me before being released. I still couldn't use my right leg, but they had no idea why not. I was given a "prescription" for a wheelchair. No other explanation and I was in incredible pain. I spent the holiday weekend scared to death and taking pill for the pain. My mother called in a favor and got me in to see an orthopedic surgeon in our town. Luckily, he is on of the best from my home state and he has known our family for years.

It took 2 months to figure out what was wrong with my leg and foot. I had to move back in with my parents, and eventually sold my house. I wasn't able to work either. I spent days being referred to other doctors, being x-ray'd, having scans and mri's. One doctor hooked up both legs to a power source of some kind and shocked me for an afternoon. I never felt a thing in that right leg or foot. Finally, we discovered the problem and had a solution. Severe nerve damage from the flipping of the car. My knee was also a goner, so surgery was scheduled to rebuild my knee and nerve damage. I was told it would be outpatient surgery and I would have a tiny scar. My mother later told me that I had complications during the surgery. The damage to my leg was far beyond what the doc originally imagined. But, I came out of it with a rebuilt knee and a giant scar that runs down half my leg.

After 2 months in a wheelchair and surgery (and depression), I was anxious to meet my physical therapist for rehab. 3 months of rehab at 3 times a week. I had to start over and would be using that chair a little while longer. I had to learn how to "work" my leg and foot again. I was still in lots of pain. I took my first wobbly, hand-rail holding step in September. I can't even begin to describe how frustrating it is to try to get your body to do something that you've done your entire life. I still had no feeling in the leg or foot, so it was a tough road. But, I did it. I was walking with a cane by October. Nothing fancy, but I could finally move around. I took a prescription drug known to help regenerate nerves for 4 months but eventually stopped because of the expense. I gained weight and focused on being able to exercise (for weight loss) again.

May 2008 I packed up my dog and belongings, bought a used car, and moved near the beach. I had recovered as much as anyone had hoped. I still had pain. I still had no feeling in most of leg and foot, but I took everything one day at a time. My life was about to change again... but that is a different story.

Today I can feel my foot again, and most of my leg. The pain is rare these days. I have ran 10ks and 2 half marathons in the past year. But some days, I hurt. I don't know why and I can't predict how long the pain stays. I found that massage has helped me the most. Every year on my "anniversary" I think about my accident, surgery, recover, and my feelings during that time. I remember the pain most of all and the frustration. I think about how amazing our bodies truly are and that doctor's aren't always correct. I learned that I can overcome any obstacle with time and patience, and that asking for help is necessary sometimes.
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    back in 2006 I was in an "almost" head on car accident .. My left leg was folded on a 90 degree angle and pinned up under the dashboard, my left collar bone was broken from the seatbelt and I have a significant scar on my forhead from hitting my head on the rear view mirror .. 5 surgeries , a titanium knee to ankle rod and 4 screws in my leg, a titanium plate and 7 screws in my left shoulder , 4 months in a wheel chair , 6 months in a walking cast and 9 weeks rehab later I was able to walk with a very pronounced limp.. I let that limp dictate every aspect of m life for about 18 months .. I had on quite a bit of weight allowing myself to be like that and it was beginning to become a viscious cycle.. The more weight I put on the more I hurt so the less i wanted to do anything. Finally i got sick of my life going by without me .. and started doing SOME of the things I used to do .. Did it hurt ? yes it did .. but I was NOT going to let that control me any more .. The more I did the more I noticed the limp going away .. i feel the turning point was about 24 months after the accident when i joined the local gym...The trainer at the gym was VERY sensitive to my needs and did NOT let me wimp out .. now 6 years later I am into my 4th season playing softball , ive picked tennis back up , snowboard and now into my 5th week of C25K training to run a 5K later in July .. Do I still hurt ? Yes I do .. but Ibuprophen is cheap trade for the quality of life Ive gotten back ..

All this to say .. Dont give up on yourself .. you can do this ... if you want to .. life is too short to allow things stop us from enjoying it , Feel free to add me if you want to
  • annadavidson1984
    annadavidson1984 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    First I will say I have struggled with my weight since I was around 14. I'm now 50. About 5 years ago I finished losing the 70 pounds I needed to lose. Shortly after that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. It isn't an injury, but it certainly has been life changing for me. Before that, and in my 20's and 30's, I ran, did aerobics etc. The fibro is and has been a huge adjustment. I have to listen to my body more and some days take it easier than others. It's true that the more I exercise, the better I feel. Some days I can walk five miles, others 2 or 3 and I'm done.

I would say definitely check with your doctor about what he thinks is the safest thing for you to do. Have you thought about swimming? I know people with arthritis that really like doing that.

I walk and have just started doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.

I'd say you have to have tolerance for the changes your body has gone through and just keep at it!!
  • dward2011
    Options
    I spent from 8 March last year until October completely unable to walk, and it was massively depressing at the time. I'd broken my foot right on the joint (Jones Fracture) and it didn't heal on it's own so I had to have it screwed together and endure another attempted healing process) I felt completely hopeless. The stares from people, especially children when I went to the store or the zoo, etc were really disconcerting, and I, like you was worried about my career (as a field anthropologist). I slowly started working on walking in October, and by December, with the help of specialized brace on my right lower leg I was doing really well. By February I was able to ditch the brace altogether. Unfortunately, on 21 March the unthinkable happened and I tore all of the ligaments in my left ankle, which put me out of commission until just a week ago. It's something that, while you're recovering can tear you down to you most basic self, where you have to relearn everything you do in every-day life. It's something that can make you cry and want to scream, but you push through it because, in the end you realize you've become a stronger person. My injuries have left my ankles badly arthritic (I'm only 26!) and there's over a 50% chance of both injuries reoccurring in the next five years....but I don't let it slow me down.

Whenever I'm unable to walk, I still make it to the gym...I work on upper body and strengthening my upper legs carefully. I've found going to the gym to be a great moral boost, because the staff is so accommodating and encouraging. Likewise, my fellow gym goers will come up to me, and instead of staring and gawking like regular people, they'll shake my hand and comment on my fantastic determination. It gives me hope and inspiration.

I won't ever be able to run for an extended period, but I recognize that, and move on. I can run on the gym machines because there isn't impact involved, and I know I could run if someone was chasing me! lol. The pain is just there to tell you to be careful...that you can push yourself just as hard as before, but you need to be conscious of the risks.

You probably don't want to hear it, because you probably have a million times (I sure have) but it takes time...you'll be back to hiking (I've planned a hiking trip for August as a motivation to get myself completely healed and fit asap) and other activities in time. You just need to be patient. You do have a new set of limitations, but that's a new set of challenges to work around and overcome. Stay motivated and take baby steps. Make goals for your recovery and work closely with your physical therapist and ortho surgeon to meet those goals.

I broke my left foot in this exact location in January of this year. My break was 3 fractures and a chip, and I am still recovering. I was lucky and mine healed without surgery. I have been out of my brace since March, and out of my ankle brace for 2 weeks. I hope your recovery goes smoothly from here. Good luck!
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options

I broke my left foot in this exact location in January of this year. My break was 3 fractures and a chip, and I am still recovering. I was lucky and mine healed without surgery. I have been out of my brace since March, and out of my ankle brace for 2 weeks. I hope your recovery goes smoothly from here. Good luck!

You look like you're making a ton of progress! Awesome! Thank you as well. I'm making the best out of it. :) Like you, I gained weight when I was out of comission (Almost 30 pounds!!!) Just when I started losing it, I had the injury this year... I didn't gain weight this time, I was determined not to, but I have lost a little since then though, and that gives me hope. :)
  • knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    Options
    Wow-I was holding the pity party for myself, after a year in pain with a whiplash induced headache, which led to a clinical depression, and gallons of wine later-a very plump body! You guys rock-just listening (reading) to your stories and what you have overcome is motivation for me!!! congrats on overcoming the odds, and good luck as we continue this journey together!!!!
  • dward2011
    Options

You look like you're making a ton of progress! Awesome! Thank you as well. I'm making the best out of it. :) Like you, I gained weight when I was out of comission (Almost 30 pounds!!!) Just when I started losing it, I had the injury this year... I didn't gain weight this time, I was determined not to, but I have lost a little since then though, and that gives me hope. :)

I am a determined person. You are doing great by going to the gym. Can you bike? I started out on a stationary bike at the gym and eventually progressed (my doc okay'd all my activity). Canoeing and kayaking are great for the upper body, maybe that would be a different option for you (depending on where you live). Swimming did great things for my muscle rehab too. :) You are going to get through it and be stronger for the experience because you have a great attitude.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    wow, thanks for all the responses everyone. will read these throughout the day! what a great thing to wake up to - lots of awesome, brave people clearly kicking @ss. :D
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    WOW! thank you all again for your stories. I read them all and honestly feel a lot more hopeful than I even expected to. I can't believe some of you are running half marathons and playing sports after such injuries!

And you all have such good advice to share from your experiences - and good ideas. My personal favourite is the kayaking! This would totally satisfy my need for adventure.

The reason I thought perhaps my leg has had it is that this was actually my 3rd surgery over 2 years - all in the same area of the groin. Twice they cut into the leg crease, and both times it became badly infected and formed abscesses that each took 1-2 months to heal. The tissue around there is so mangled, and it's such a sensitive place. I expect that any sport or field work that requires agility and awkward movements will risk further injury.

4 months after my first surgery I had run a 5k and was recovering from my second surgery, haha.

But, you are all right - I am confident that this is just pain, not an indication of anything further being wrong, and pain is not something to stop me from getting fit again, even if i have to take an entirely different approach this time!

Who knows, maybe I will recover to the point that I can do fieldwork again. For now, though, I will find other dreams to follow and be grateful that I CAN follow them.

Thanks again, everyone. You are all so amazing. It really means a lot to me that you each wrote all that.