Difference between these two weights?

Options
I'm 5'4" and small framed (and female :)). If you Google BMI, I can be 108 lbs and still have a normal BMI (pretty much every BMI calculator out there). If you look at height/weight charts, they have the lowest at 114 lbs. What is the difference and would being 108-114 lbs be considered unhealthy? Thanks! :)

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the differences are, but for ME to be that weight (also 5'4") I would look anorexic. But, I have a large frame. I still have a hard time imagining it on anyone my height, but really, you won't know how you will look until you're at that weight. I'd probably shoot for something higher, than when you reach that, adjust it if you don't like the way you look.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Can't do that, I'm 124 lbs and I think I'm fat lol (106 lbs lost so far). I decided when I started that I would go by tables no matter what my mind said and that if I was at goal weight and my mind thought I was fat I'd just live fat the rest of my life, because I'm not about to go down to an "unhealthy" weight, so I want to find out what's the lowest I can go to :) They say that if your wrist is <6 you are small, 6-6.25 medium, >6.25 large frame. I'm 5.9 ha. (inches)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If you need to go by a chart, then ask your Dr. It seems you need to go by the lowest on a chart too. Not something I would do, but if that's your thing, ask your Dr.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    At 108, by BMI standards you'd still be 'healthy' but you'd be on the border with 'underweight'. I think wanting to be that low could be a signal of a problem.

I'm 5'4" and I would look like hell at 108.
  • GatorDeb1
    Options
    I just want somebody to tell me a number that I can reach and stay at, and the lowest possible number but still be healthy. I need and endpoint that I can reach and go "I'm done."
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You just have to see how you feel. I am 109 lbs at 5'4 and I don't think I look anorexic. Weights look different on different people regardless of height. You will know your "end point" when you are happy with what you see in the mirror. :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You've lost so much, it's got to be impossible to not see yourself as thin enough. Can you just start reverting into a slow maintenance now, and see if your self-image catches up to your weight loss? You might be happy where you are now, in more time. I wouldn't aim so low. If anything I might shoot for the dead-center of 'healthy' BMI.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I just want somebody to tell me a number that I can reach and stay at, and the lowest possible number but still be healthy. I need and endpoint that I can reach and go "I'm done."

Systolic blood pressure of 160 is considered Stage 2 hypertension. Would you reach 159 and say "I'm done"?

An extreme is an extreme. Neither one is going to kill you, but I would shoot for the average.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think this is something that is totally individual. You need to figure out what works best for you, everybody's body is different. I definitely think there are alot more factors than just a number on a scale... Question? If you did not know the numbers how would you feel about the weight you are at now? I have not lost any weight for the last few months but I have lost inches and lowered my bf %. For me (and only me) this is more important than any number on a scale.
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Having seen you, I can attest that you are DEFINITELY not fat at 124. You need to get stronger to continue towards your Iron Man goal and toning up would be a wonderful thing, but I don't think you need to see a lower number on the scale any longer. You're goals should be purely fitness at this point. You should look at threads by people like LorinaLynn for more information like this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
  • GatorDeb1
    Options
    You just have to see how you feel. I am 109 lbs at 5'4 and I don't think I look anorexic. Weights look different on different people regardless of height. You will know your "end point" when you are happy with what you see in the mirror. :)

I see a trend that people are scared of skinny. We have supersized ourselves so much that skinny==bad.
  • GatorDeb1
    Options
    Tourney - yes :) I'm a numbers person.

I'm not happy where I am right now, since 114 is good anywhere I plan to get at least there and then see how it goes. I'm at my lowest now. I do think triathlons are good for me because performance is king, if my performance suffers the weight goes up (and it hasn't suffered so far).
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

I see a trend that people are scared of skinny. We have supersized ourselves so much that skinny==bad.

I see that trend in real life and MFP as well. Congratulations on your amazing weight loss and good luck on reaching your fitness goals!