Protein Shakes????? Help

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I like them but they make me sick, im lactose intolerant, if anyone has any suggestions , im all ears
    If its whey-based, stay away from Whey Protein Concentrate (which contains lactose) and make sure it only contains Whey Protein Isolate (devoid of lactose). Milk Protein Isolate is safe for those lactose intolerant as well.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I make my own. It's for two people:

1 cup fat free milk
    1/4 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
    3 (or 4) scoops vanilla protein powder
    1 scoop creatine
    1 cup frozen UNSWEETENED blueberries
    1 TBS natural PB (or almond butter)
    Sometimes I'll also add a banana, peach, strawberries . . .

It's pretty darn good.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I like the EAS Myoplex Shakes for a meal replacement. The Rich Dark Chocolate is my favorite. 300 Calories and over 40g of protein.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I like them but they make me sick, im lactose intolerant, if anyone has any suggestions , im all ears

Check http://bodybuilding.com/store/protein.htm for protein shakes you can make from egg protein, soy protein, plant protein, beef protein, and others are specifically low lactose like on http://bodybuilding.com/store/lactose.htm

I'm overseas in South Korea so I found that www.iherb.com works better and is cheaper for delivery....not to push anything...but use QEP304 code for $5 off your order and help me get a few bucks off my next order of Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% Whey.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Mine is very simple. for breakfast. 1 cup of Chobani Greek yogurt (plain), 1 cup of ice, and then fruit to flavor. That's the "large" size. For a smaller size, I just cut all ingredients in half, and also have some whole wheat toast with peanut butter on it :). Usually, I use two fruits at half a serving each for the large size. I find them to be very filling (even the smaller size) and I don't feel the need to eat until lunch.
  • paulmdepoy
    paulmdepoy Posts: 20
    Options
    I really like Muscle Pharm Combat protein powder. I use it and another one of their items and I really like them. The powder has 140 calories(More if you add milk instead of water) 25g of protein, and hardly any sugar. It tastes amazing too, none of that chalky taste you get with a lot of other protein powders.

For a meal-replacement, I mix 1 1/2 scoops Combat Chocolate Milk protein powder, 1C 1%milk, 1 chopped banana and sometimes 1TBS peanut butter. Blend in a blender and you're golden!
  • starzluv94
    starzluv94 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like the generic slimfast shakes. They have less sugar than the real slimfast shakes and they are a lot cheaper. I have also been looking into the Isopure shakes.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking protein shakes last week, altho' I use them as supplements because I wasn't getting enough protein in each day. (I think a lot of women struggle with that).

I tried the Whey Protein Elite Series (Triple Chocolate) that I found at WalMart, on the recommendation from a friend. I mix it in a blender, add 4-6 ice cubes. Easy way to get extra protein. Occassionally, I add 1-2 tablespoons of frozen Cool Whip Lite to add some "fluff." I always mix with skim milk and always use a blender. I don't care for any of the shakes when I don't use a blender. You can freeze them & bring them to work the next day also.
    As others have said, add fruit , vanilla extract or other flavoring, or really, whatever you'd like. You have to experiment yourself to make something to your tastes.
    Check out the MFP Group "Eat More to Weigh Less." It's a very active group & they have a lot of good ideas for eating more (healthy) food and losing weight.
  • abisho2
    abisho2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so any protein shake that contains whey and/or casein are completely out for me. SunWarrior is awesome and rice based and I have had no issues with it at all. I have both the chocolate and vanilla and love them both! Very smooth and not super chalky. Add to soy milk and maybe blend with some fruit if you're feeling frisky :)
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I'm not selling it, so no need to message me for info, but I like the Body by Vi. It's lactose free, and I usually mix mine with almond milk and other things.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have a 90 cal Protein shake and some flaxseed every morning for breakfast if I'm working. then I have that with some cake or Cheese depending on how i'm feeling, the combination gets me to lunch easily, it did before I started adding cake and cheese!
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so any protein shake that contains whey and/or casein are completely out for me. SunWarrior is awesome and rice based and I have had no issues with it at all. I have both the chocolate and vanilla and love them both! Very smooth and not super chalky. Add to soy milk and maybe blend with some fruit if you're feeling frisky :)
    Whey Protein Isolate and Milk Protein Isolate are virtually devoid of lactose, so there is no need to skip out on those options even if you are quite sensitive to lactose.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    After workouts I just use whey and almond milk.

As a meal replacement, I'll add a banana and almond butter or a cup of frozen blueberries.
  • matmismel
    matmismel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I drink Premier Protein shakes that I get at Cosco. They come in chocolate and vanilla, and both are good, but I prefer the chocolate. They are 160 calories and 30g protein, and for the most part contain nothing else (a minimal amount of sugar and fat). I always have one and pair it with something with carbs in it.
  • agb17
    agb17 Posts: 10
    Options
    :happy:
  • agb17
    agb17 Posts: 10
    Options

my husband is lactose intolerant & he has been doing Body by Vi shakes...taste good, filling & loaded with nutrition
    i have also been doing them since May 2nd & have lost 23 lbs
    mix w/ almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, even Sprite Zero

let me know if you want more information
  • filmingghosts
    Options
    I normally just blend up a shake with about a cup of ice (more or less depending on how you like it), 1 banana, 1 scoop of EAS Chocolate Soy Protein Powder, and 1/2 cup Silk Light Chocolate Soy Milk. Then if I want I stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter, and it's delicious! :)
  • geekyjock76
    Options

my husband is lactose intolerant & he has been doing Body by Vi shakes...taste good, filling & loaded with nutrition

If he's lactose intolerant, then it must not be that severe since that product does contain whey protein concentrate and sodium casienate, both of which possessing lactose. Unfortunately, since it is a proprietary blend, you have no idea how much of each is actually used. Needless to say, it is likely a very small amount - so small that your husband does not have a reaction. And 12g of protein per serving is not much for the price and ingredients in it to be honest. I can buy a 5 lb bag of milk protein isolate for that same price and get 27g of protein per serving with a total of 75 servings without the maltodextrin and other filler ingredients.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

If he's lactose intolerant, then it must not be that severe since that product does contain whey protein concentrate and sodium casienate, both of which possessing lactose. Unfortunately, since it is a proprietary blend, you have no idea how much of each is actually used. Needless to say, it is likely a very small amount - so small that your husband does not have a reaction. And 12g of protein per serving is not much for the price and ingredients in it to be honest.

Actually vi uses soy protein...
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    I'm looking at the label and it includes: Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Whey Protein Concentrate and Sodium Caseinate as its protein sources.