Severe pain in my foot!!! HELP

Options
Hi guys,
So I've been running for about a month and a half now. (at first 2 miles a day, now I've worked up to 4 1/2 miles running/walking). I was never active in high school so all of this exercise stuff is new to me. I don't have top of the line stuff--my shoes were from Plato's Closet for $11. They are U.S. Polo Brand. Anyhow, about a week ago, I got a severe sharp pain in the arch of my right foot. I've broken my foot before, and I would liken the pain to that, just toned down a bit. I obviously know it's not broken because I can walk and run on it, but it does hurt. I was wondering could it be a pinched nerve? A fracture? What? Could this all be the result of not quality shoes? I need answers and quick because I'm thinking of getting it checked out and x-rayed because it is now hindering my workouts, I can't run for as long anymore. :/ Once, again, the pain is sharp, in the arch of my foot, almost like a break that is healing but still hurts (this is not the foot previously broken btw). I cannot bend my foot to the right AT ALL. I limp when I walk on it. It is a bother. :( help please

Replies

• sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You might have plantar fasciitis.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    You need see a podiatrist asap. You could have a stress fracture, plantar fasciitis or something else. If you don't find out what's up and have it treated, you may end up with more problems than you have now. Sadly, I waited too long and I'm now paying the price.
  • toglamgirl
    toglamgirl Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi - about a year and a half ago (with good expensive shoes) - I was doing a lot of "sports inspired" classes and I was experiencing pain in my foot too and found out that I had a couple of teeny broken bones. which of course you can't do anything about, but I would see a doctor if you can. I could still do jumping and running, so I didn't know that I had broken those tiny bones.
  • fiona2785
    fiona2785 Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm not the best person to answer as I'm pretty new to running, but I had trouble not long after I first started. It was my inner legs (up from the ankle bone) not my foot, but a couple of weeks' rest and proper running shoes seem to have sorted it! I know it's expensive, but I went to a running shop & they did the thing where they video your legs/feet when you're on a treadmill to check the angle of your feet when you're running. Cost me £85 for a new pair of shoes, but they are AMAZING. Not a twinge since.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Go see the Dr. Like today.

Go spend more then $11 on shoes. Go to a real running store if you can.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor for medical advice on what is wrong with your foot.

Also go to a running store and get PROPER shoes for running. $11 shoes are NOT proper running shoes which is probably why you screwed up your foot in the first place. I'm not being mean. Proper shoes that fit you and are for your stride, gait and foot is extremely important. A good running store will put you on a treadmill and evaluate the way you run and fit you with shoes designed for the way you run. They will be expensive but it is worth it because it will prevent serious injuries.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If the pain is severe, you need to see a doctor. You also need to get good running shoes.
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    Ditto on plantar fasciitis. Go see a podiatrist. I am going through this myself and it is incredibly painful. I got a cortisone injection last week after not being able to walk/run the past week. You should definitely invest in better shoes as well.
  • Maree44
    Maree44 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm of no real help really but I started to run in April and about a month later I got severe pain in my right foot, it was on the outer side and I would often walk with a limp. I ran through the pain and didn't go to a doctor but the pain went away about 2 or 3 weeks later and it hasn't been back. I thought it was just my body getting used to the idea of running :)
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You might have plantar fasciitis.

I would agree with this.......I suffer from this from time to time and it CAN be debilitating. Fill a Gatorade bottle (or a plastic bottle with nubbies) with water - freeze and then roll under your foot for a good 5 minutes multiple times a day - this should help. I'd cease running though, for a while AND get better shoes......good luck!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Don't buy shoes from Plato's Closet! They have already been broken in to someone else's foot shape and will never ever fit you right.
  • nicescent
    nicescent Posts: 44
    Options
    Rush to buy a new pair of running shoes. I am sorry to say but you made a big mistake in running with non running shoes.
    I know shoes are expensive but it is the best investment you can make. Go to a running store and have them film you while running. Every good store has a video sytem. They will tell you what kind of running form you have (pronator, over pronator, neutral etc..) Try to find a store where you can return the shoes if they don't fit you exactly. Look online on the following link:
    www.roadrunnersports.com/
    This should help. Shoes are expensive but it is the only thing that protect your body from the pavement. If you run a lot change shoes every 3 months or every 250 to 300 miles.
    Last thing about the pain. Buy a roller and use it under the arch of your foot, roll your foot on it for a few minutes morning and evening. It should help.
    Need more help, let me know. Good luck.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Is the pain worse in the morning than later in the day? While waiting to see a doc try this. Freeze a bottle full of water (little gap so you don't explode it in the freezer). First thing in the morning, but it on it's side on the floor, place the arch of your foot on top of it, and with some pressure, roll your foot back and forth (front to back, back to front) on top of the ice bottle for 10-15 minutes.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You need to see a medical professional, but I assume you know that. You also need to get yourself a good, supportive pair of running shoes. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on this. Get your foot checked out, but I would suggest doing this in conjunction with getting a new pair of shoes. I had a similar incident about a year ago. I had pain in my foot after I started running. My running shoes were good quality, but they were old. I went to a podiatrist who pushed me into a pair of orthotics, however, the pain did not go away. I then went to a chiropractor for an unrelated matter. He also assessed my feet but didn't think that I needed the orthotics. Two months and a number of adjustments later, and the foot pain went away (without the use of orthotics). My point is, it could be your shoes, it could be your feet, or it could be something else...but get it checked out. Don't rely on people here...
  • shelltherunner
    shelltherunner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. First, go see the doctor. Second, go to a RUNNING store. Luke's Locker, Run On, what ever is in your area. A knowledgeable sales person should ask you questions:

Where do you run?
    How far/long do you run?
    What are your goals?

If you are a trail runner or street runner, they should have you run around the "track" in the store. If you are a treadmill runner, they will put you on a treadmill. The type of shoes you need depend on things like where you run, weekly mileages, goals, as well as gait, pronation, ect.

You should be prepared to spend $85 or more. My shoes average $100. They will need to be replaced every 500 miles or 6 months. The soles start to break down and you lose the support.

A few side notes I have learned along the way:

Ask the shoe store person how you should tie your shoes. There are several methods of shoe tieing that offer different levels of support.

If you run in the rain (or get the shoes wet) the water will break down the supports and soles. If you are hard core and run in the rain, have a pair of shoes for it!
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cheap shoes can be a big cause to your foot pain. When I was wearing cheap shoes, i could go for about 1 hour of activity, like walking or hiking before my feet hurt like crazy. When i actually bought shoes that were designed for its intended use and were not cheap, I noticed a big difference. I haven't had any foot pain like i was feeling before after hours of activity.

23528038.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you bought the running shoes there because you weren't sure if you'd stick with running and didn't want to invest a lot of money. If you do decide to continue running, it would be a great idea to go to a running store to buy new shoes. A good running shoe store will provide a lot of insight in the way you walk or step and make shoe recommendations based on observing you. There is a huge difference among shoes as well as a lot of difference in how people plant their feet when they walk.

Trust me, good shoes are well worth the initial investment. I buy my shoes from a running shoe store but don't run. I do have knee issues and like having a good pair of shoes for walking and other workouts.

Take a little time off and rest your foot. See a good podiatrist and find out what is going on. It won't get better if you don't know what to do for the injury! Good luck and take care of yourself!
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Before you run out and rack up a lot of $$$ in medical bills, use a little common sense and try a few things to see if you can help your body heal itself.

First, pain is there for a reason - to get you to stop doing what you're doing because it is causing damage. Anything to excess can cause damage, so pay attention to your body. Stop or greatly reduce the exercise regimen until your body heals. Apply the RICE method to any painful or swollen areas.

Determine whether or not you are experiencing plantar fasciitis. A simple stretching exercise will eliminate the symptoms in about a week for most people: Stand on a step using the front half of your foot, allowing your heel to extend down below your toe level (or forcing your toes up toward your shins, using your body weight for leverage. Be sure to support yourself for balance. You should feel normal stretching type tension/pain, but nothing sharp or excruciating. If it is sharp or your foot won't bend toward your shins, go see a doctor and have the foot x-rayed.

If this takes care of the problem, then go get you some good shoes that support your foot properly. Perform the stretches at least once a week to keep it from redeveloping.

If this doesn't take care of the problem, go see a doc and find out what is causing the problem. Just minimize your activity level until you know it is safe to proceed.

HTH
  • bubsyh
    bubsyh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Get and ankle support and see a doctor