Seems like a lot of calories, but I'm hungry!

Options
Greetings all!

For those of you whom I haven't met yet, I started MFP just this past week.

I have my weight loss settings to allow for a 2.5 pound loss a month. I know that isn't much. But I want the weight to come off slowly and I want the weight loss to STICK this time. So I figure as long as the direction on the scales is DOWN, I can be patient and take a long time to lose the weight.

When I completed my profile thingy and it recommended that I eat 1900 calories a day, I was relieved. I thought "Piece of cake. That's a lot!"

Well, I was in for a huge surprise. I've been wondering why I haven't lost weight when I've been eating very well, and not that much. Turns out my definition of "not that much" is quite a lot. Logging my food has been a real eye-opener (and a disappointment).

I've managed to stay between 1800 - 1900 every day but one, And I've been sooo hungry! I go to bed hungry, I wake in the middle of the night hungry, and I get up in the morning hungry. During the day, I'm hungry.

I've read other people's posts, and have been trying to focus on more protein, more high-fiber foods, etc. One thing I need to do is drink more water.

But in addition to all these, do you find that you really do get used to less food? In the past, when I've tried to restrict my calories or have gone hungry, I always seem to rebound with a horrible binge, followed by a few weeks of "I'll eat what I d*** well please!"

By the way, I'm a vegetarian, and have been for almost 30 years. (There goes the myth about vegetarians being skinny.) So eating meat or eggs is not an option.

Any advice you can give me before I take a bite out of my computer would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    I dealt with the same problem during my first month on my weight loss journey a year ago. See my recent post in the Daily Gratitude thread about my doctor's prescription of Meridia. You may want to ask yours about it and if it is right for you.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    What does a typical menu look like for you? :smile:
  • amaline
    Options
    Hi LittleSister and welcome!

I know your pain! My first week was the same - I was ravenous and it also made me realise just how I had been deluding myself about how much I have really been eating. I used to read all those posts by people asking for advice on how to eat all their calories and just wonder how on earth anyone could ever have that problem :huh:

However I have been sticking to my calories pretty much consistently for the last month now (with a few slip ups here and there of course) and it just gets easier and easier. I am on 1200 a day I do actually find myself getting to the end of a day with a couple of hundred calories left over on days when I gain exercise calories. I think your body does adjust to the lowered intake and also your stomach shrinks back to a more healthy size (just my thoughts, not backed up by any science or anything). So hang in there! It will get better!!!

Things that have helped me in the last month -
    Exercise! You get more calories to eat that way.
    Water - lots of. And don't waste calories on any other drinks like juice unless you have them spare - save them for food!
    Green tea - if you like it (I love it but many don't) drink it cold or hot but I find it supresses my appetite and gives me something to consume instead of snacking.
    If I am really hungry but not due for a meal I will have a bowl of Miso soup - low cal but super filling. In fact I find soup a great low cal filler upper.

Hope that helps you a little. Best of luck :happy:
  • amanda2181
    Options

But in addition to all these, do you find that you really do get used to less food?

I can say that for me I have gotten used to eating fewer calories. When I first started, I was hungry all the time. Now, I sometimes have difficulty eating all my calories (even on days when I don't exercise). It just takes time for your body to adapt to eating fewer calories. Stick with it, drink LOTS of water, and I think it'll get easier for you too.

Good luck!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Hello!

I have gotten used to eating less food, but without even really trying. I've just noticed lately on my weekly free meal that I can't eat as much as I used to. I wasn't really trying to eat less.

I have found that on the days when I'm hungry with my calories (I get 1500/day) I'm not eating the right foods. If I eat a lot of processed foods, snack crackers, chocolate, even frozen dinners - I just don't always have enough calories to make me not feel hungry. If you bulk up your meals with a nice salad (with balsamic vinegar or a low calorie dressing), some cooked broccoli, spinach, cabbage, or another low calorie vegetable, or have an apple or orange after your meal you should be getting a lot more for your calories. I find that when I'm eating more pure and healthy foods, I usually can't even eat my full 1500 calories a day and sometimes I even have trouble getting in the minimum of 1200.

It becomes a type of game - what's the best deal I can get for my calories? Look back at your days when you're the most hungry and figure out if there are things you could have done differently.

Also, see if you're eating enough for breakfast. On the days when I don't eat enough calories for breakfast, I'm ravenous by the afternoon. Try different amounts of calories for breakfast and see if maybe you have a slightly bigger breakfast if it helps you stay in control the rest of the day. For me, 200-300 calories at breakfast is what works best.

You will find your weight loss sweet spot. Good luck!

-Alison
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have gotten used to eating less food, but without even really trying. I've just noticed lately on my weekly free meal that I can't eat as much as I used to. I wasn't really trying to eat less.

I have found that on the days when I'm hungry with my calories (I get 1500/day) I'm not eating the right foods. If I eat a lot of processed foods, snack crackers, chocolate, even frozen dinners - I just don't always have enough calories to make me not feel hungry. If you bulk up your meals with a nice salad (with balsamic vinegar or a low calorie dressing), some cooked broccoli, spinach, cabbage, or another low calorie vegetable, or have an apple or orange after your meal you should be getting a lot more for your calories. I find that when I'm eating more pure and healthy foods, I usually can't even eat my full 1500 calories a day and sometimes I even have trouble getting in the minimum of 1200.

It becomes a type of game - what's the best deal I can get for my calories? Look back at your days when you're the most hungry and figure out if there are things you could have done differently.

Also, see if you're eating enough for breakfast. On the days when I don't eat enough calories for breakfast, I'm ravenous by the afternoon. Try different amounts of calories for breakfast and see if maybe you have a slightly bigger breakfast if it helps you stay in control the rest of the day. For me, 200-300 calories at breakfast is what works best.

You will find your weight loss sweet spot. Good luck!

-Alison

This is so right on, it should be read over and over. I can't stand being hungry and I have to plan my meals where I can get the most food for the fewest calories. That means no empty calories from juice, sauces, sugar, or condiments. The great thing about MFP is that you can go back over your meals and see how to improve.

I stayed under 1300 calories for months and gradually ate more of my exercise calories. I don't think I've eaten 1900 calories in a day since I started

The first few weeks at 1200 calories I had days where I had to figure out how to pass the time until I could eat again..
    Take it one day at a time and take baby steps.
    It will get easier and you will be successful.:bigsmile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking a full glass of water before my meal leads to me eating a lot less because I'm 'full'. Plus it helps you stay hydrated!
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Lots and lots of veg. I find eat raw broccoli and cauli flower really fills my stomach especially if I pair it with garlic and lemon hummus. Mmmm
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I try to spread my calories throughout the day and evening and not concentrate on three meals. I find that if I eat at least 100 calories every 3-4 hours, I don't get ravenous and overeat at any one meal. I also have a small serving of oatmeal before bed so I don't wake up starving. Good luck to you. If I can do it, anyone can!
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for all your thoughts and advice! This gives me a lot of things to try!

I can't believe what constitutes a "portion size." I now realize that I must have been eating well over 3,000 calories a day! And not walking. I'm sure that I'm going to start feeling better soon now that I'm walking and being more conscious of what I'm eating.

And it's reassuring to learn that the body DOES adjust.

THANKS AGAIN, everyone!!!:happy:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most days I don't do well with my calorie allotment (1430), and I need more food, so I "buy" the extra calories with exercise.

1 food I would recommend you add to your day is Fiber 1 Honey Clusters- 1 cup is filling and satisfying, and it's so good. I can't go without it. It's lower in sugar than a lot of good-tasting cereals (1 cup has 6 grams of sugar), and you get over half your daily fiber.
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i have found since i have changed my eating to more of a clean eating plan, (no sugars, no sweeteners, no white flours, no/very little processed foods at all, no alcohol). with the reduction in bad carbs i have never felt hungry, i eat 1200 cals/day and work out 21/2 hours/day. try it even for a few days and i bet you will notice the difference. good luck.