to those who dislike Jillian Michaels

Options

Replies

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I have tried Jillian Michaels workouts and have tried to like them, but they leave me cold. Her personality just does nothing for me, and her workout routines feel redundant and dull.
  • Pomoch325
    Pomoch325 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The 30DS is working for me, I am seeing a change in my body. However, I was very out of shape before I started, so Just Dance Kids would probably have made a difference also.

I can't stand her talking. She is not motivational. I won't buy any of her gimmicky cleanses and pill. If you wan't a cleanse, sign up for a colonoscopy, you will get cleansed and a nice colorectal screening.

I will be glad when I am done with her 30 days so I can move on to something else.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    While I am sure you are right about the pills, I myself despise any type of diet pill also simply because it could be harmful to you and its not sustainable, I mean..do you really plan on taking those the rest of your life in order to lose pounds? You need to be able to do it with the food you eat and the exercise you do.

BUT..I will have to disagree with you on the Biggest Loser Show. I do not think its a sham and I think its a wonderful show that helps people become healthy again, how to be healthy, how to eat, how to work out, and also deals with the underlying issues of what caused them to gain weight and give up in the first place. That being said, they do push them hard, very hard and that type of workout, or I should say the length of time isnt sustainable in real life. Should you lose 10+ pounds a week in normal life? No! But these are highly obese people who's life is on the line. Many are facing death in the very near future if they dont change and do something drastic and sometimes drastic is what is needed. Have there been injuries that have occurred on the show? Yes, but not a whole lot. They are under strict supervision of a doctor the entire time and the trainers work with them, they know their entire background and all about them. And they are not starving them, I think if Im not mistaken the women eat at 1200 a day and the men like 1500? either way, they both eat at least at 1200 and yes they do burn like 3500 a day or whatever high number it is, but they do eat and they aren't starving.

And your quote about almost all gain the weight back is just simply false from everything I have read and seen. Yes some gain weight back. 40 to 45% will gain SOME of the weight back within a yr after the show. To me thats pretty good odds considering that these people where starring death in the face!! And is it the biggest losers fault that they have gained weight back? NO!! It is still all about their choices, their workout routines and what they feed themselves. And the biggest loser does a excellent job at trying to teach them how to live in real life with it, how to handle stress and temptation and they deal with issues that caused them to put on the weight in the first place!

Some will go back and gain weight, alot dont!! But they are taking severe cases and trying to change their lives before they die. It is a show also...they want good ratings etc and they do things and show things that intrigue the audience and catch their attention but I bet you, you go and ask alot of the contestants how they feel about it and alot will say they owe their life to them!!

Just my personal opinion though!:) :flowerforyou:

Regardless of how many people on the show lose weight or not, considering that show is seen by millions of people the world over, they have a responsibility to show people not only how to eat and exercise properly (which they do on a limited extent), they also need to show that doing so takes time. Instead, it demonstrates results that are both unrealistic and unsustainable, which is why they deserve so much scorn. It paints a completely unrealistic portrayal of health and fitness and unfortunately, a lot of people aren't smart enough to know the difference.

Also, the contestants on the show may have the nutritionists, trainers and doctors on site, but what about the people at home trying to better themselves? How are they supposed to possibly live up to these unrealistic results without all of those resources?
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I like her because she pushes me, even on just a DVD. I don't think everyone has to like the same thing. I can't stand Richard Simmons, he just annoys me to death, but some people love him.

I would love a week with JM as a trainer :smile:
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    While I am sure you are right about the pills, I myself despise any type of diet pill also simply because it could be harmful to you and its not sustainable, I mean..do you really plan on taking those the rest of your life in order to lose pounds? You need to be able to do it with the food you eat and the exercise you do.

BUT..I will have to disagree with you on the Biggest Loser Show. I do not think its a sham and I think its a wonderful show that helps people become healthy again, how to be healthy, how to eat, how to work out, and also deals with the underlying issues of what caused them to gain weight and give up in the first place. That being said, they do push them hard, very hard and that type of workout, or I should say the length of time isnt sustainable in real life. Should you lose 10+ pounds a week in normal life? No! But these are highly obese people who's life is on the line. Many are facing death in the very near future if they dont change and do something drastic and sometimes drastic is what is needed. Have there been injuries that have occurred on the show? Yes, but not a whole lot. They are under strict supervision of a doctor the entire time and the trainers work with them, they know their entire background and all about them. And they are not starving them, I think if Im not mistaken the women eat at 1200 a day and the men like 1500? either way, they both eat at least at 1200 and yes they do burn like 3500 a day or whatever high number it is, but they do eat and they aren't starving.

And your quote about almost all gain the weight back is just simply false from everything I have read and seen. Yes some gain weight back. 40 to 45% will gain SOME of the weight back within a yr after the show. To me thats pretty good odds considering that these people where starring death in the face!! And is it the biggest losers fault that they have gained weight back? NO!! It is still all about their choices, their workout routines and what they feed themselves. And the biggest loser does a excellent job at trying to teach them how to live in real life with it, how to handle stress and temptation and they deal with issues that caused them to put on the weight in the first place!

Some will go back and gain weight, alot dont!! But they are taking severe cases and trying to change their lives before they die. It is a show also...they want good ratings etc and they do things and show things that intrigue the audience and catch their attention but I bet you, you go and ask alot of the contestants how they feel about it and alot will say they owe their life to them!!

Regardless of how many people on the show lose weight or not, considering that show is seen by millions of people the world over, they have a responsibility to show people not only how to eat and exercise properly (which they do on a limited extent), they also need to show that doing so takes time. Instead, it demonstrates results that are both unrealistic and unsustainable, which is why they deserve so much scorn. It paints a completely unrealistic portrayal of health and fitness and unfortunately, a lot of people aren't smart enough to know the difference.

Also, the contestants on the show may have the nutritionists, trainers and doctors on site, but what about the people at home trying to better themselves? How are they supposed to possibly live up to these unrealistic results without all of those resources?

I agree with you here. I guess I just figured that most would know that it was a show, they are doing drastic things and although it does work ..in a certain environment, docs, trainers, monitors, etc etc...that it isnt real life. Theres no way although I see it done on the show, that I would go out and try to burn 3000+ cals a day, or push myself harder and harder even if I felt I was going to die...why? Because I DONT have monitors on me, I DONT go see my doc and get all sorts of xrays and blood work done each and every week and I dont have trainers! But your right...there are some who would try I guess! But I still hold to my belief that all in all its a great show and they are changing lives hehe...people just need to realize that its totally different than real life and they need to do it gradually, it will take time, but you will get there:) And I do think theres a disclaimer on the show at the beginning that says do not try this on your own.
  • I_Golf
    I_Golf Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 30DS along with other DVDs. What I like about the Jillian is that she is the first trainer to help me discover that I don't want to just burn calories, I want to increase my fitness and strength. In only a few weeks, I'm probably stronger than I've ever been, and 30DS is the only change I've made to my routine. I can burn the same number of calories if I put in enough time walking, but I like the increases in strength and stamina that I have achieved. I know there are other workouts that would provide me those benefits as well, but again, she is the first trainer that pushed me to push myself.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Well, for one thing, the Biggest Loser, which is the only reason anyone's ever heard of her, is a complete sham. It gives people a completely unrealistic set of expectations regarding weight loss and healthy living. Almost all of the contestants gain weight back after leaving the show- partly because they're not working out as much, but more importantly, they're manipulated into starving and/or dehydrating themselves to push their numbers down.

Second, she's attached her name and likeness to a line of supplements that are the basis for several ongoing lawsuits. One of these products is called "Calorie Control" which promises, directly on the front of the box to "Reduce Caloric Intake". If that claim alone isn't enough for a lawsuit, then I don't know what is.

Third, since leaving the show that's made her famous, she hasn't shied away from any opportunity to plaster her photoshopped likeness to any product. In addition to her line of supplements, she has books, DVDs, a treadmill, etc. All of these products offer claims that are unrealistic and give consumers a false sense of confidence. It's clear she's more interested in maintaining her fame than actually helping people to live healthier.

Fourth, there have been multiple complaints about her qualifications as a trainer. Sure, she pushes her "clients" to work harder and give maximal effort, but often times this results in injury. Any trainer worth a damn has to have the health of their client as their highest priority, even if this comes at the expense of maximal effort. A trainer does need to push their client to work hard, but more importantly, they need to ensure that the exercises are being performed correctly in order to not only maximize their effectiveness but also to avoid injury.

If you look at the actual numbers--who lost how much and what they weigh now, it's more than 40%--it's most of them--and it's a significant portion of the weight. I don't care what the contestants say about it; if you lose a huge amount of weight very quickly, then gain it back, you are worse off, health wise, than if you had stayed fat continuously. There is nothing "real" about reality shows. NOTHING. Biggest Loser is entertainment, NOT a weight loss method. The show is calculated to hold your attention and sell stuff--not make you healthier. Ms. Michaels' association with it makes her less credible as a healthy lifestyle advisor, not more.

"...starring [sic] death in the face..." ??? Exaggerate much?
  • lrobson555
    lrobson555 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I loved 30DS when I did it the first time, liked it the second time, tolerated it the third time. The fourth time I quit just after I started. Doing the same thing every day is SO BORING.

Now I'm doing TurboFire :) I love it! Never have to do the same thing more than once a week.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Because she puts her name on products that I think are detrimental to health, sustainable weight loss and creates a culture of misinformation. She's also part of the mainstream diet machine and that whole institution makes me twitchy.

Another very valid reason. Around the time she rolled out her "7 day Detox" or whatever the hell it is called, she lost me.

I dislike THIS, but I love her workouts, I think she knows her stuff there as I had great results, but I do dislike all of the stuff she's trying to sell these days.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I LOVE her videos! I really don't care if she hocks products (almost all celebrities do) I'm a smart consumer. I also don't find her as annoying as Tony Horton (who talks SO much). When I'm doing exercise videos I listen to the radio at the same time so whatever. I'm looking for a good workout and she gives me one! I also have bad knees and have not had trouble with these. Love Jillian, her videos have made the most difference for my body.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I like her. I don't like that she has endorsed products that confuse people. I mean they teach you (on BL and elsewhere) to stick to a clean, healthy diet along with exercise to stay healthy and lean yet they put their name on pills and such...blah!

^^^^ totally agree with this
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree that she is a marketing machine...

But having said that... her program physically got me to where I am at today. Can't say i've ever had any resemblance of a six-pack until I started working out with 30DS. For me, what she is selling actually did give me the results.

Yep. Out of the dozens of videos I've done over the years. Hers (I've done 30DS and RI30) actually get the results they claim. That's enough for me. Respect.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I'm a big JM fan and have seen great differences in my body with her DVDs. That said, to each their own and I wouldn't challenge why anyone doesn't like her or her videos.

The quick point I wanted to make was in regards to a comment about strength training. No, she does not lift heavy in any of her videos however when you are using dumbbells and doing body resistance exercises regularly, is that not strength training? There is no one to say that you can't use heavier weights or do any advance modification of the base move. I just recently purchased the book The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises and I must say that many of JM's exercises are in that book......and it's book on strength training.

Again, not trying to sway anyone and to each their own, but I think that DVD's are legitimate. I think the rest of the marketing is not.

Have a great day!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Her voice kind of annoys me and she's really boring lol She seems kinda of fake.
    I guess that's what I get for being used to Chalene Johnson. No1 motivates quite like her!
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Because she puts her name on products that I think are detrimental to health, sustainable weight loss and creates a culture of misinformation. She's also part of the mainstream diet machine and that whole institution makes me twitchy.

Simply put- I disagree with her. I don't know her personally so can't speak to her as a person.

*sigh* and I'm sure someone will quote me in a reply and try to argue about my opinion because after all, this is MFP, and opinions must be fought over.

I'm quoting u, but only cuz I agree.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    well one reason i can't stand her is bc she does KB wrong, like REALLY wrong! no way she should ever be teaching others how to do it since its a quick way to an injury.

plus i can't stand how into herself she is. she just generally annoys me.

My friend says that she once said she hated yoga & then what does she do? Put out a yoga video lol
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I wasn't trying to challenge why people don't like her, was just curious as I know we all look for different things when working out.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Her workouts are great. They do work. She is annoying. No matter how much my muscles burn, the real reason I want to finish the workout is to MAKE HER VOICE STOP. I hate how she calls people buddy, and her voice grates on my ears....

I aim my punches at her in the 30 DS. :blushing:
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    She's not my favorite person ever- but I give her total credit for my profile picture! :happy: I do love her workouts.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    But I should add that even though I'm a fan of her DVD's I'm not a fan of her products. Her whey protein does terrible things to my stomach...I won't go into details haha!