Anyone else not weigh themselves?

Options
Howdy!
So, I have been working on "loosing weight" forever now and have been an on again off again Y member and would quickly get frustrated after spending a week working my tail off at the gym only to find out that I have gained 3 pounds. So, this time around my goal isn't to loose weight (although I would love to) but to become a runner. I started walking fast in March/April and had a difficult time doing it for 30 seconds and as of today I am up to running for 17 minutes without stopping! I try to add one minute to my time a week...so anyway, because I am not focusing on the weight loss I am not weighing myself. I'm still afraid that if I do and I haven't lost or worse gained that I will give up and I have never made it this far in my running before...so I am staying as far away from the scale as possible.

Anyone else doing this or am I alone and nuts?

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think you're smart. I'd like to ditch my scale. I know several happy women who 'watch their weight' but rarely if ever weigh. It's possible.
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    I ditched my scale about a month ago. Before that I would rarely weigh myself, only out of curiosity, because I know that the scale can and does fool you on your progress. I wish that I never put the weight loss ticker on my site because now I can not take it off, and I know that it is not measuring my true progress. I just judge myself on my clothing, measurements and pics.
  • julie9200
    julie9200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Once I reach my goal size and replenish my wardrobe in that size, I plan to stop weighing myself and judge by my overall fitness and how my clothes are fitting.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a scale at home.. I try to go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. I watch what I eat and try and stay active. So no, I don't think you are crazy at all!

The only reason I know my current weight is because I had to take my youngest to a doctor appointment last week. He wouldn't stand on the scale, so I had to hop on and get my weight, then picked him up and we figured out the difference.
  • BigMomma742
    BigMomma742 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think maybe if I had been weighing myself for the last 15 years that maybe I wouldn't have gotten obese because the number may have woke me up, but I also don't think getting caught up in 'the number' is the answer either especially when you're doing healthy activities and replacing fat with muscle. Maybe the number should only matter when you feel like you've been slacking to get you motivated again?? My thoughts-hope they help.:flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I quit weighing myself in February. Best decision of my life. Dont even have a person scale anymore.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh myself. My performance is measured by inches.......errr wait did I say that right? :laugh: :laugh:
  • Prettydoll589
    Prettydoll589 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to weight myself ervery morning but I got frustated when I didnt loose anything o gained a pound, I felt miserable and very sad, so one day I made a decision and I put my scale under the bed and left it there for a week, my surprise this morning when i weighted was that I lost 5 pounds last week, It made me feel soooo much better because I now everything its worthy!
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks. Don't feel the need. I'm seeing the results I want, the ones that matter most, in the mirror.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh myself. My performance is measured by inches.......errr wait did I say that right? :laugh: :laugh:

excellent
  • cassieljames
    Options
    I try not to weigh myself either, because I have been an on and off runner for 3 years now....last year when I did the sun run in training program/ learn to run I never weighed myself, but seen the results in the way my clothes fit, one thing that discouraged me that people kept reminding me of, was that muscle does weigh more than fat........so I pledged to be more healthy rather than worry about what the scale says, I admit I do like to see every once in awhile if I have made progress, but i am loving this site, and it's a great motivational tool for me,,,,good luck with your running, I just started again myself after a year.....I'm on week 2 and it's brutal right now, until my shins get used to it again, so can't wait.....11 more weeks and I should be a 10k runner again :P I'm hoping to join a 5k and a 10k by September!!!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    while the number keeps me on track, i mainly look at inches!
    so be sure to measure yourself.
  • Maree44
    Maree44 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    HAHA!
  • erinm216
    erinm216 Posts: 4
    Options
    I had to give up the scale too. I was obsessing and then felt like giving up if it didnt budge.
    I do it every two weeks just to make sure I am on track and so far it has been much better mentally.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is smart! I don't own a scale so the only reason I know my start weight is from a Dr. appointment. I will probably figure out a way to weigh myself at the end of the month or next month. I think the scale is just depressing. I look pretty good from my workouts and my clothes fit well too so I'm mostly going by that. Good luck :)
  • JennMarieFitz
    JennMarieFitz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself unless I'm at the doctor's office - I don't even own a scale. I am more focused on inches, so it helps =) I think it's a great idea, since weight shouldn't be what we're focused on, it should be health and the way we feel. Although, the weight part sure is nice at the end!