I gained 4 pounds this week....

Options

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    OKAY.. thanks for the positive posts- it is a lot to take in and I am going to try to fix it. BUT can you guys recommend some foods to fill up my calories but NOT my carbs? That's my biggest problem and often the reason I don't eat very many calories.

Also, the machines and MFP are all I have to go off of regarding calories burnt. I cannot afford a HRM (I'm a substitute teacher and it's summer time) but I can tell you I often work out almost 2 hours straight doing crossfit workouts monitored by my gym owner so I don't feel like the calories burnt are that far off.

Also, I do drink lots of water in a day I just don't log it. I have a 32 oz water bottle that I drink 3-4 of per day.

feel free to follow my diary... i eat 1700 min- 2000 calories per day... 40/40/40 split
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    feel free to follow my diary... i eat 1700 min- 2000 calories per day... 40/40/40 split
    :huh:
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's likely just a swing at the starting weight and ending weight.

Maybe you were a little too dehydrated when you started and holding too much water when you ended the week. No worries it wil even out. Just keep to your plan.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scale, repeat step away from the scale!! The scale is evil and is not your friend. Don't rely on it to track your progress, especially in early stages. Get a measuring tape and go by that instead. When I started a new program after three weeks my weight stayed the same, but I lost 6 1/2 inches. Don't trust the scale, the number is not what's important. What is important is you are confident with you how your body looks and that you feel healthy.

To the woman who wrote the above,Thank You so much for what you just wrote this just confirms what I believe is happening to me.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I never went over any of my calories, carbs, or sodium this week. I burned 3,000 calories in workouts this week. Yet this morning on my weekly weigh-in, the scale went up FOUR pounds!

I am really feeling discouraged about it because I have no idea what is going on. Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks

*I do want to say that I am allowed 1,950 calories per day but I usually keep it down at 1,200-1,400.

Well, 4 pounds is 14,000 calories, so it's not real "weight gain." I vary by 2+ pounds throughout the day, just due to fluids and meals. Water weighs around an ounce per ounce, so a cup of water is half a pound or so.
  • signgrrrl
    signgrrrl Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Unless your power lifting I doubt you are gaining muscle...Water retention. From the work out.. drink more water
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    OKAY.. thanks for the positive posts- it is a lot to take in and I am going to try to fix it. BUT can you guys recommend some foods to fill up my calories but NOT my carbs? That's my biggest problem and often the reason I don't eat very many calories.

Also, the machines and MFP are all I have to go off of regarding calories burnt. I cannot afford a HRM (I'm a substitute teacher and it's summer time) but I can tell you I often work out almost 2 hours straight doing crossfit workouts monitored by my gym owner so I don't feel like the calories burnt are that far off.

Also, I do drink lots of water in a day I just don't log it. I have a 32 oz water bottle that I drink 3-4 of per day.

Proteins have little nor no carbs: chicken, fish, beef, pork, cheese, nuts.
    I don't think anyone here is going to recommend that you eat 300+ grams of carbs! That's huge!

Hang in there! :)

She says she eats 1200 - 1400 calories per day. 300 grams of carbohydrate is 1200 calories, so she's NOT eating 300+ grams of carbs. The math just doesn't add up.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Protein!!!! Shakes after workouts, more chicken/fish at meals.Also can add in some chia seeds and hemp hearts to yogurts, salads, shakes.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I eat so few calories because I find it very hard to eat close to 1900 calories without going over on carbs. My doctor told me as long as I eat when I am hungry my body will not go into starvation mode. Could you guys elaborate on how I am doing severe damage to my body?

OK...I totally understand your dilemma. I struggle daily to get enough calories and keep my carbs low. How low are you trying to keep your carbs? Are counting net carbs or total carbs? I am trying to keep my NET carbs below 100g ( net carbs are total carbs minus fiber and any sugar alcohols). Although some people would blast me for it, I have been eating 1-2 atkins or metrx meal bars a day to boost my calories without too many carbs. Yesterday I ate an atkins baked square (140 cal/6 net carbs) as part of lunch and a metrx chocolate fudge *something* ( about 310 calories/also about 6 net carbs) for an afternoon snack and I DID manage to have a net intake of almost 1100 calories by the time I went to bed.
  • _stephanie0
    Options

LOL dont give me that "HUH" face !! haha....she asked how to get more calories without using carbs so i said to look @ my food log for ideas cause i eat lots of good cals and not all from carbs!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

ummm. not to be rude, but how can you do a 40/40/40 split? 40+40+40=120 I really want to understand!
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    it takes about 3500 calories in surplus to put on a pound. So in one week I doubt you added 4(that would be 14,000 cal), if your exercising and eating only 1400 a day. Probably water weight, or just discrepancies with the accuracy of your scale. You muscles/body/bones will retain more water to help fix/repair them from exercise

Now if that was a trend over several months then there might be something else going on. But I bet your good

^^this.

I "gained" 5 pounds over the weekend, in very similar circumstances to you! But I certainly did not eat an extra 15,000 or 16,000 calories over the weekend, so I knew it was a fluctuation due to excess sodium and water retention. Yesterday I exercised my usual amount and was very careful with my foods, and today I'm already back down to within .8 pounds of where I was before the weekend. I fully expect that tomorrow I'll be right where I started if not a little lower. I don't know how men's bodies are, but I know that women's bodies LOVE to hold onto water for any reason!! TOM, sodium, weight training, sunburns, watching too much tv (not really the last one, but it feels like it!), etc. So don't let this discourage you. Stay on your program, give yourself a day or two, and I think you'll see that you are doing just fine. :-)
  • _stephanie0
    Options

ummm. not to be rude, but how can you do a 40/40/40 split? 40+40+40=120 I really want to understand!

LOL!! :noway: *shake my head* ....i understand the "huh" face.... 40/40/20 lmao woopsies
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options

120% -- excellent!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Don't get to frustrated if your weight goes up a little the first couple weeks you start eating more. Your body needs time to adjust and realize you aren't starving it. I did not loose a single pound in my first two weeks. Luckily didn't gain either but I have finally started to loose.
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You may have measured light last weigh in (maybe dehydrated or just empty), this time you could be full? I'd be tempted to say its down to measurement error. Weigh again and more often for a clearer picture?
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I saw you didn't log Sunday, you can't skip days to log, we don't know what happened then.
    Does someone else in your crossfit class wear a hrm? Then could see what they burn.
    You said you wanted less carbs, cut out the cereal from breakfast and replace it with egg whites. You don't eat enough at lunch time, sometimes it's just a shake and other times a sandwich on white bread . Make a salad with protein for lunch. No grapes. Try Ezekiel bread.
  • willot0722
    willot0722 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I skip logging days every once in a while when I'm not in town. Also, I don't eat eggs.. yuck! I don't see anything wrong with grapes... they are fruit & that is better than chocolate.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I skip logging days every once in a while when I'm not in town. Also, I don't eat eggs.. yuck! I don't see anything wrong with grapes... they are fruit & that is better than chocolate.

Do you have a smart phone. MFP has an app for logging.
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am going to stab a fork into the eye of the next person who says "gained muscle"..or worse, "turned into muscle."

Maybe she just gained muscle or perhapps some of the fat turned into muscle.