why am i not losing?

Options
okay, so i've been at or under my calories for a week now, walking every day.. but instead of losing my 1 pound, i've gained 2..... what's going on here?

Replies

• psideon
    psideon Posts: 24
    Options
    Body may be adjusting... muscles building to accommodate walking routine, etc.
    Don't fret, stay with it and make sure you consume at least 1200 calories a day to stay above "starving".

Good luck and God speed~!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    1) your very first week isn't really a good basis to judge. it didn't take a week to put on the weight, it won't take a week to take it off.
    2) 2lbs is a minor fluctuation that could be a result of water, your time of the month, or any number of things. you'll find a lot of folks here don't really pay too much attention to that small of a weight loss/gain.
    3) since your diary is closed, I can't tell but my guess is you either are eating too little or you don't have the appropriate calorie deficit built into your plan or you aren't working out enough or you are eating the wrong foods. Or combination of all of those.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    How much under have you been?
    Have you been missing hidden calories or not burning as much as you think you are?
    It can be water weight.
    How often do you weigh yourself?
  • mitzhogue
    mitzhogue Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    every other day...
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Water retention.
  • mitzhogue
    Options
    i messed up on saturday... and i know that usually doesn't show until a couple days after.. so maybe that's what it is. it must be the exercise though, because i can lose weight when i just cut calories... i dunno. i feel better.. that's a good thing.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    :explode: so many undereaters

what is your cal range, how much are you consuming.
    you probably arent eating enough... im losing at 1900.... use this http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    okay, so i've been at or under my calories for a week now, walking every day.. but instead of losing my 1 pound, i've gained 2..... what's going on here?

What's your calorie limit?
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    I'd like to know too....Im up 5 pounds. Ive been exercising everyday and staying within my calories. Its very frustrating! ive worked to hard for the scale to go the other way :/
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    To really be able to help you have to provide alot more info and opening diary would be a big help!

But in lieu of that......

Min calories is 1200 net, that's after exercise...

8 cups of water

Limit sodium, fat and simple carbs - junk food and fast food

Increase Protein, fiber and complex carbs

Increase exercise Frequency, Itensity and Time as often as you can...

Be patient and take measurements, don't just rely on the scale.

Best of luck!!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    give yourself a MONTH if healthy eating, and work outs. THEN step on the scale, or, see how loose your pants are fitting :)
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough calories. I try to eat at least 1500/day, even on days I don't excercise. Drink at least 8 cups of water/day, and make sure you're eating enough calories.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    One week is not enough time to gauge progress. Think long-term.
    Also, I had to tweak my input to find my zone. Just don't get discouraged.
    Make sure your exercise burn rates and activity levels are right, Give it a few months, then let's see where you are.
    It's not a race, but just keep punching - never say die!
  • kathy329
    kathy329 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Quite often I have noticed I will gain right before i lose. My stomach will be bloated. And all of a sudden it goes down ( weight and bloating).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It can be many things

Water weight
    Not measuring correctly your food
    Under eating+ over training
    Constipated
    Normal fluctuations
  • rconway906
    rconway906 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're gaining weight it could be muscle. Take your measurements and record them once a week. If you don't lose weight but lose inches it will be encouraging.:heart:
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Only weigh monthly. Instead measure weekly and log. My scale did not move for two months but I was losing and half inch or an inch a week. The scale can be a demotivating because it does not tell the whole story. :wink:
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    you migt not be eating enough calories, I would check out this group, there is a lot of good information
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • mitzhogue
    Options
    unlocked... looking back.. maybe i haven't done as well as i thought i did.. it's still progress though :)