Too Much Protein?

Options
I've been trying to utilize this site by watching the values of Calories, Fat, Carbs, and Protein. I'm thinking of grabbing some Subway for lunch and while lining up the values just to see where it would put me for the rest of the day, I would already be 3 proteins over for my daily need while I'd be well under my other values. Blame it on the Eggs, Milk, and Toast I had this morning.

So I was just wondering, while I know it wouldn't be good to go over any of those other three values if I can help it, is it really bad to go over my protein level? If so, how much is too much and why?

Thanks for any and all help.

Replies

• ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about going over on protein. Sodium yes.. sugar yes.. fat yes. Carbs.. eh.. I try not to go too crazy over if I do go over. But protein I definitely don't worry about, just try to make it lean proteins.
  • CabbageBaggage
    Options
    I agree with ShellyLee...protein is nothing to sweat about especially if you're excercising : ) good to build muscle...and you can't beat Subway...just remember to go lite...there are lots of subs to choose from within our calorie/fat/healthful allowances...and the nutritional info is posted everywhere...the buffalo chicken is pretty good : )
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I always go way over my protein needs - anywhere from 30 - 60 over and I'm always under in my carbs and fat. I'm not even on a low carb diet or anything - it's just what I prefer to eat. But I don't ever really worry about it because I run at least 3-4 miles daily and weight train 5 days per week. I mainly just make sure I stay within my cal requirement, get at least 20 g of fiber daily and 100% calcium.
  • a00link
    Options
    Thanks you three. My exercising isn't as strict as many others but I try to walk a lot and I certainly take stairs when possible. Right now I'm gonna pull a jared at walk to Subway anyway so that should be a good mix. I'm trying to use diet and walking as a means to shed pounds but then I need to bulk up as well, so it's good to hear proteins going over will actually benefit me.

I love the Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki with Lettuce and Tomatoes and without cheese. I'll probably have a 6 in of that and then I think I still have some special K to go with it.
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    going over on protein is fine. i go over about 30 grams per day, but i also do strength training 3 days a week, so it's good to have that extra protein as a buffer. i also eat more protein than carbs and fats. from my understanding, since proteins are more complex than fats or carbs, so they stay in your system longer and keep you fuller for longer.

the only time that having too much protein would hurt you would be if you were eating about 80% of your daily calories coming from protein. that's the atkins diet, I believe, in which you would eat 80-10-10 or 70-15-15, something like that, which would be protein-carbs-fats. i highly doubt you're eating that much protein, so you should be alright.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to utilize this site by watching the values of Calories, Fat, Carbs, and Protein. I'm thinking of grabbing some Subway for lunch and while lining up the values just to see where it would put me for the rest of the day, I would already be 3 proteins over for my daily need while I'd be well under my other values. Blame it on the Eggs, Milk, and Toast I had this morning.

So I was just wondering, while I know it wouldn't be good to go over any of those other three values if I can help it, is it really bad to go over my protein level? If so, how much is too much and why?

Thanks for any and all help.

MFP tends to go a little too low with their protein allowance, so don't worry if you go over. :smile:
    I managed to lose most of the weight that I wanted to with going over just about every day! :laugh: :smile:
  • a00link
    Options
    going over on protein is fine. i go over about 30 grams per day, but i also do strength training 3 days a week, so it's good to have that extra protein as a buffer. i also eat more protein than carbs and fats. from my understanding, since proteins are more complex than fats or carbs, so they stay in your system longer and keep you fuller for longer.

the only time that having too much protein would hurt you would be if you were eating about 80% of your daily calories coming from protein. that's the atkins diet, I believe, in which you would eat 80-10-10 or 70-15-15, something like that, which would be protein-carbs-fats. i highly doubt you're eating that much protein, so you should be alright.

Yeah, if anything it's a matter of 5 grams with me lately. But this is all good to know. Thanks everyone.