Home Canned Squash - What to do with it.

Options
TONYAGOOCH
TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
My had has given me several jars of canned yellow squash from his garden. I have no idea what to do with it other than just boil and eat. Any suggestions?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i grill my fresh squash, unsure if you can grill canned, because i'm unsure of the texture!

maybe roast it?
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    This is kinda my problem. When it's canned it is done in water. Therefore it's not firm anymore. So I don't think roasting it would help. It's also in slices. I'm wondering about some recipes to incorporate it into or something.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    theres a zucchini tot recipe i bet you could modify with your canned stuff if its mushier.

i make chili and pasta sauce and always throw in squash!
  • percxa
    percxa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Squash Parmesan casserole. Google it.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    Oh ya. I didn't even think about putting it into a chili or pasta sauce. That's a good idea.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    Squash Parmesan casserole. Google it.

Thanks. Sounds good. I'll look it up.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    add to soups, try making squash bread (instead of zuccinni) or mix into tomato sauce or better yet put on top of Shepard's pie.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    These are all great ideas. Thanks. Keep them coming. I made a shephards pie last week and didn't even think to put the squash in it. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to creating recipes or mixing flavors. lol