Dehydration / Running!!

Options
How does everyone gauge how much water to drink after a run? I drank two big glasses last night after my run and still woke up this morning with what I have deemed my "hangover headache". After about 32oz of water and a half hour, the headache was gone. How could have I prevented this without drownding myself last night?

Replies

• kuhayetee
    kuhayetee Posts: 41
    Options
    you could try some gatorade or powerade, you're losing electrolytes that your body needs that water can't give you. but still drink water in addition to it.
  • aggiejane07
    aggiejane07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Drink water more consistenly throughout the day prior to running? You might have already been in a mild state of dehydration before you even ran and then running just made it worse.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    dont know - how about weigh yourself before and after?

there was a study a couple of years ago that showed with SCIENCE that beer was better to re-hydrate with than water :drinker:

but if you're not into beer, how about nuun or similar zero-calorie electrolyte replacement stuff?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you are hydrated pre-run. I drink about 12 cups of water throughout the day and am always fine, even after running 7 miles.
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    I normally drink lots of water before I run. It seems to help me prevent dehydration. I then drink 64oz after running up until I go to bed. Another trick that seems to work for me and I don't know why is I have to chew gum when I run. It keeps my mouth watery.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself before you start, weigh yourself at the end, the difference is how much water you lost while running. Every pound is 16 oz of water.
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you need to drink more water in general. I would say before, but not always "right" before or else it could slosh around. You probably were a little dehydrated to begin with and then ran making it worse. The 2 glasses afterwards was good, but probably not enough to make you "hydrated" again. And, from what I've read, the body can only process so much water at one time. Good luck finding your balance.
  • mcp1516
    mcp1516 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try to make sure you are well hydrated before you start running. If you know you are going to run make sure you drink lots of water the night before (for an early morning run) or throughout the day for an afternoon or early evening run. Also, your body will need more hydration as the summeer heat increases etc. If you run at a fast pace or seem to sweat alot try drininking 4 to 8 ounces of a sports drink to replace electrolytes after a run. Hope this helps.
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Runner's World article on keeping hydrated: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-302--5382-0,00.html
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    weigh in before then right after. for every litre of water you loose your weight will reduce by 1kg/2lbs.
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    I read a book a little while ago about the basics of water and exercise! Feel free to check it out if you want! It says for every pound you lose during exercise, an athlete needs to drink 16oz

http://chloeelebeir.blogspot.com/2012/06/reading-about-nutrition-for-athletes.html
  • jporche77
    jporche77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I call it my runners headache. The one thing that has worked for me is to drink something with electrolytes after and then also a ton of water.

It took me a while to figure out what worked for me.
  • FleekTastic
    FleekTastic Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think the summer weather whomped me for sure. Its good to know I am not the only one that suffers with something that seems so basic. I don't think beer is the answer, but maybe some gatorade :)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Took me a long time to figure out the right combination for me.

- I try to drink lots of water the day before a long run (64+ oz)
    - Drink 12 to 16 oz (or have some water with electrolytes if its hot day or a run of more than 8-9 miles) prior to my run
    - Then after my run I drink 16 oz of water with electrolytes, and drink water continually throughout the day until I'm rehydrated.

I know this is a lot more than most people, but I tend to dehydrate easily and have suffered from severe heat exhaustion more than once. But since I started doing what I mentioned above, I haven't had a problem.

Hope you find a routine/amount that works for you! :flowerforyou: