couch25k

Options
empeyl
empeyl Posts: 19 Member
I am starting the c25k today and was wondering how should i space the runs? the have 3 runs set per week? do i do them 3 days in a row or should i space them out a day apart? how has everyone else done it in the past?

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking a day off in between them.
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    i am starting this tomorrow and plan on doing it on a wed fri and sun, that way getting a wee break in between x
  • bluegrasschica
    Options
    I was going to start it today too. I will probably do a day in between off
  • dkoroschetz
    dkoroschetz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i am starting this tomorrow and plan on doing it on a wed fri and sun, that way getting a wee break in between x

i've been trying to do wed, fri and sat or sunday too! i'm on week 3, i'm enjoying it so far!
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I just finished and had good success running Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. I did run a couple of days in a row if my schedule changed, but my ability suffered. The rest day was important for me. Good luck!
  • sarahjenkins77
    sarahjenkins77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have just completed c25k, i always have a rest day after a run as it gives time for your body to recover before you go again. .

Good luck its a great programme.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Space them apart by at least a day for recovery. So that means you will do 3 runs each week.

It is IMPORTANT that you have a REST day in between runs (do other things like strength train or elliptical or swimming)

The first time I did C25k, I ran Tue, Thurs and Sat or Sun. This is my second time through C25k this summer. I'm running 4 days a week (I have been running for a year now). I had to start over due to being off for an injury (and I'm using C25k to help me pick up a little speed). So now my schedule is Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat or Sun (easier runs on the weekends).
  • goturtlego
    goturtlego Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did it every other day, so my "weeks" weren't quite a week.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Me too! I am starting on Monday going Mon, Weds, and Fri because my weekends are WAY to busy to run. Remember to drink lots the night before so you don't get sick! We should keep tabs on each other to help each other out!
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest spacing them out. Good luck to you, it is a very hepful running program.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I started last week. I did it Fri Sat and Monday. I say do it every other day because my legs were burning on the back to back days.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    PS...there is a C25k group on MFP. You should join us.
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i am currently on week 7 and run on a mon weds & fri and strength train on tues and thurs and my weekends are for relaxing :laugh:
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love this program! Always wanted to run but could not get into it. I'm on week 4 and always take a day off in between.

Since I'm in pretty good shape I always double the workouts though, so I go an hour instead of 1/2 hour, but I still follow the run/walk instructions.
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Is walking the dog okay for a rest day? Or is it too much of the same to count?
  • empeyl
    empeyl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    how do you join the c25k group?
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    how do you join the c25k group?

If you mean the C25K group on MFP you can search when you click the "groups" button at the top. If you are looking for a program, I downloaded the app on my Iphone. It's truly having a running trainer with you plus you can listen to your music at the same time while you run.

Just awesome!
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    Is walking the dog okay for a rest day? Or is it too much of the same to count?

I think walking the dogs is fine to consider a rest day. As long as you are not running them...
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just finished c25k and I tried to space them out, but I did run 2 days in a row several times without issue. I also did strength training and other cardio on the days I didn't run, making sure to get in one full rest day a week.

Good luck!
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Im on w5d1. i try to run everyday .. I do each day twice before moving to the next day that way Im starting the new week on the first day of the week ..