Gel Inserts for 300+ pounds?

Options
I love walking at night, but my feet are killing me! I bought some nice shoes with a lot of support and cushioning, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Obviously, my weight is an issue, so maybe good shoes aren't enough.

Has anyone had any experience with gel inserts with arch support? Do they really work as well as they claim? The muscles along the edges of my feet still hurt after two days, and the top of my left foot feel crampy. I don't want to give up walking as exercise, so I'm hoping to find something that works for me.

Replies

• andreabrightside
    Options
    nice shoes with a lot of support and cushioning

Isn't always enough. You need shoes that are right for your feet. So you could get the most expensive, squishiest shoes in the world and they won't be right for your feet. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running/walking shoes and have them fit you. A lot of them have special machines that you stand/walk on that shows what part of your foot needs the most support.

Take it easy and don't try to go from 0-5k right away. Start walking a little bit, and gradually build up more as your body gets used to it.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    nice shoes with a lot of support and cushioning

Isn't always enough. You need shoes that are right for your feet. So you could get the most expensive, squishiest shoes in the world and they won't be right for your feet. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running/walking shoes and have them fit you. A lot of them have special machines that you stand/walk on that shows what part of your foot needs the most support.

Take it easy and don't try to go from 0-5k right away. Start walking a little bit, and gradually build up more as your body gets used to it.
    Oops. I should have said I started out walking a half-mile, then 3/4 mile, and recently bumped it to a mile. I walk on sidewalks and pavement, so I'm sure that's not helping. ;)

I'll check out some running stores in my area. Maybe my stride is messed-up. My left foot always hurts much worse than my right foot.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'd still like to know if gel inserts make a difference. Anybody?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The gel inserts will provide additional cushioning and support your arches (do your arches hurt after walking - if not they may not help)

I haven't tried this personally but a couple of my friends have used the Dr Scholls machine that recommends their "custom" inserts and swear that they really helped (both work in retail and spend 8+ hours a day on their feet). Personally I'm skeptical but it may be worth looking into.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    The new machine for the gel inserts will tell you if you need arch supports or which way your feet turn. If you look at a pair of old shoes are the heels worn out on the outside or the inside this will tell which way your feet go. I would advise to either seek the advice of an orthopedist or a podiatrist. It also sounds as if it might not be just your feet. Do you stretch before you start your walk? I would check out the internet for some basic stretching exercises to do before your walk.