Broccoli (Stomach Issues)

Options
Anyone else have any issues with eating broccoli and having stomach pains after? The other night I ate 4 cups of broccoli for dinner and around bedtime I had the worst stomach ache ever. I love broccoli and know its good for me but I never want to go through that pain again. Anyone have this issue and can share any remedies would be appreciated.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    4 cups! that seems like a lot. try 1or 2, and maybe it'll help.

does cauli do it too?
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    How did you cook it? You may want to steam/boil it a little longer, the more cellulous that is broken down in the cooking process, the easier it is for you to digest- thus less gas and stomach pain. I prefer my veg crunchy, but with broccoli and cabbage, I tend to cook it a bit longer than I prefer just to aid in the digestion. The more you eat it, too, the easier your body digests it. When I first went on a cabbage kick I thought I was going to die, but after a couple meals containing copious amounts of steamed cabbage (which I crave big-time for some reason) it got way better and now I don't get gassy from it at all. If that doesn't help, you may have IBS or something which is often sensitive to foods like broccoli.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i roast mine instead of boiling it! its really tasty that way too
  • havegoodgetgive
    Options
    Thanks all. I'll try to steam it and see what happens.

Never tried cauli...may give that a go as well
  • Rachel4343
    Rachel4343 Posts: 19
    Options
    I love to steam broccoli and cauliflower..then added some lemon juice, a little sea salt and dill/lemon herb seasoning..and pepper. Delicious!
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I love to steam broccoli and cauliflower..then added some lemon juice, a little sea salt and dill/lemon herb seasoning..and pepper. Delicious!

MMMMM THAT SOUNDS YUMMY
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You need to eat fat with broccoli so that you will stimulate bile production to help with digestion. I could eat literally a full 2 bundles worth of fresh broccoli if I cooked using enough olive oil without a problem (other than wasting a lot of calories for better use)
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You need to eat fat with broccoli so that you will stimulate bile production to help with digestion. I could eat literally a full 2 bundles worth of fresh broccoli if I cooked using enough olive oil without a problem (other than wasting a lot of calories for better use)

Ah, the fat thing makes a lot of sense too!
  • jenniferhaddad
    Options
    raw broccoli tends to do that, because of the enzymes. Was it cooked? If it is cooked slightly it makes a big difference, otherwise i would suggest eating a little less in one sitting, and drink water afterwards to help move the nutrients and enzymes through.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Broccoli is a naturally gas-inducing veggie...I would think 4 cups is a LOT of broccoli and would pretty much reduce anyone to a lump of gas pain.

Try cutting back to a more reasonable serving size of 1 cup!
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're not used to eating much fiber, it takes time for your body to adjust to increased fiber intake. Try starting out with half cup serving sizes and then increase gradually from there. Also, I love broccoli, but even I have no idea why you'd want to eat four cups of it!
  • stealthytiger
    stealthytiger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes.. last night I was having 4 cups broccoli and 4 cups cauliflower for dinner. I had a slice of whole wheat bread with sweet cream butter. I could only eat half of it, because ; my stomach started cramping. The vegetables were cooked in the microwave and I took 2beno ccapsules before I ate any. I've eaten large quantitys of these before, with not much problems... only thing different was, I didn't add one teaspoon of canola oil.