Quotes

redshoeshelley
redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
We all have a favorite quote or words which we like to live by.

What's yours?
If you know the author, please include the name.

This is my fave :flowerforyou:

"What is a friend? I will tell you. It is a person with whom you dare to be yourself. Your soul can be naked with him. He seems to ask of you to put on nothing, only to be what you are. He does not want you to be better or worse. When you are with him, you feel as a prisoner feels who has been declared innocent. You do not have to be on your guard. You can say what you think, so long as it is genuinely you. He understands those contradictions in your nature that lead others to misjudge you. With him you breathe freely. You can avow your little vanities and envies and hates and vicious sparks, your meannesses and absurdities and, in opening them up to him, they are lost, dissolved on the white ocean of his loyality. He understands. You do not have to be careful. You can abuse him, neglect him, tolerate him. Best of all, you can keep still with him. It makes no matter. He likes you. He is like fire that purges to the bone. He understands. You can weep with him, sin with him, laugh with him, pray with him. Through it all - and underneath - he sees, knows and loves you.
A friend? What is a friend?
Just one, I repeat, with whom you dare to be yourself."

~ C. Raymond Beran

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    "YAAAAAY! I've got mail! I've got mail! YAAAAAY"

~Special Ed, Crank Yankers
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,412 Member
    "YAAAAAY! I've got mail! I've got mail! YAAAAAY"

~Special Ed, Crank Yankers

"Now you say it lady!" ~ Special Ed, Crank Yankers

OK, I'll be serious for a minute. This is currently my favorite, "Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness". ~ Eckhart Tolle
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    What I try to live by:

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." -Albert Einstein

“They may torture my body, break my bones, even kill me. Then they will have my dead body, but not my obedience.” - Mahatma Gandhi

"Boldness be my friend!" - William Shakespeare

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

~Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander from The Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    On my Facebook (or used to be, now it's kind of invisible........damn Facebook)

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.
    Small people always do that, but the really great
    make you feel that you, too, can become great."

-Mark Twain
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    "The principle is competing against yourself. It's about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before" -Steve Young

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way because you're out of control. You're a hater and you're unattractive inside." -Serena Williams
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    "In wine there is truth. In shots there are demonstrations."

"Our casual is so Friday that we dont even wear shoes."

Me: "Its creepy." Courtney: "Its call The Walking Dead. Not 'The Prancing with Pretty Ponies.'"

"Going to a fast food place for a salad is like going to a prostitute for a hug." - someone on MFP
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    F#$k it and drive on!-Drill sergeant, US Army Basic Training.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,438 Member
    "embrace the dork in yourself, because life's too short to be cool" ~ unknown

"be a fruit loop in a bowl of cheerios" ~unknown

" I am not what happened to me. I am what I choose to become" ~ C.J.Jung
  • JAT63
    JAT63 Posts: 17 Member
    My favorite is....“A stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet.” ~ Will Rogers
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    My favorite quotes:

- If you want to be happy.... be.
    - Tough times never last... Tough people do.
    - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    - To get something you've never had you have to do something you've never done.
    - Don't outsmart your common sense
    - Actions speak louder than words
    - DO or DO NOT, there is no try...
    - Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
    - Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
    - Never kiss an *kitten* that is preparing to $h!t on you.
    - I am strong because I know my weaknesses. I'm a lover because I'm a fighter. I am wise because I've been foolish. I laugh because I've known sadness.
    - You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    A wise man once said nothing.
    Ships are safe in the harbor, but that's not what they are meant for.
    There is a big difference between knowing and doing.
    All things in moderation, including moderation
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.
    I am an old man and have known a great many troubles in my day, but most of them never happened.
    As above, so below.
    The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

:heart: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :smokin: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • jonward85
    "Some people are like Slinkies. Not good for much, but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs."

The best man in my wedding.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

I love Zed...
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    F#$k it and drive on!-Drill sergeant, US Army Basic Training.

Thanks for that, couldn't remember who said it.... you must have had the same DS! hahaha
    Fr Jackson, SC
  • jonward85

I love Zed...

He does by far have some of the funniest lines in the whole series.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    "You should probably give up."–Lemony Snicket
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    What my mom used to say (i don't know where she got it):

"It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."
  • Becka_D89
    Becka_D89 Posts: 60
    'We are all citizens of one world, we are all of one blood. To hate a man because he was born in another country, because he speaks a different language or because he takes a different view on this subject or that, is a great folly. Desist, I implore you, for we are all equally human... Let us have but one end in view, the welfare of humanity.' ~~ Johann Amos Comenius.

This is what I live by. If im asked for my race on application forms, I tick 'other' and enter 'Human' :)
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss