Fitness Hula Hoop

Does anyone else uses a Fitness Hula Hoop? I have 5 pound one and I really like it.

But HOW CAN I CALCULATE THE CALORIES BURNED on it?

Because it doesnt seem to be in the database... how can i enter it into the log?

Replies

• invest in a heart rate monitor...hands down best thing you can do for yourself*

*disclaimer: in my opinion of course.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Where did you get your hula hoop? i've been thinking of getting a weighted hoop but don't know where
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    I wish I could help but it sounds like you need to invest in an HRM. I am getting one soon. Most people acknowledge that MFP numbers are too high and I want my exercise log to be accurate. I hope someone can help you beyond this.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    On Livestrong:

The American Council of Exercise states that the average person will burn approximately 200 calories for every 30 minutes of exercise. When using a weighted hoop the energy expenditure can be increased to 400 calories per half hour. The number of calories burned during exercise will vary depending on metabolic rate and the intensity of exercise.

Get a HRM... :)
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 428 Member
    I've been trying with just a toy hula hoop, but I'm hula challenged and and can't keep the dang thing up for long... it's frustrating.:grumble:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    invest in a heart rate monitor...hands down best thing you can do for yourself*

*disclaimer: in my opinion of course.

agreed! Polar FT7
  • You can also make your own hula hoop out of PVC tubing and weight it yourself by putting in water or beans.

I had one but my students left it out during recess and it must have been taken. I had brought it to school so I could hula hoop with them while they use the little hula hoops. They liked using the "big" rainbow hula hoop, haha.

I've been thinking of making another one.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,640 Member
    Sometimes if I've done something that's not in the MFP database, I record it as aerobics. It's close enough.
  • Lilie555
    Lilie555 Posts: 49 Member
    Where did you get your hula hoop? i've been thinking of getting a weighted hoop but don't know where

i just looked it up on Amazon. They have them there. And other online stores.
  • rach2dee
    rach2dee Posts: 2 Member
    I've been trying with just a toy hula hoop, but I'm hula challenged and and can't keep the dang thing up for long... it's frustrating.:grumble:

You might want to try a weighted hula hoop at the gym or store or something, I find the weighted hoops are easier to keep up for some reason, I cannot use a toy hula hoop to save my life but I can do a weighted one pretty good.
  • Lilie555
    Lilie555 Posts: 49 Member

You might want to try a weighted hula hoop at the gym or store or something, I find the weighted hoops are easier to keep up for some reason, I cannot use a toy hula hoop to save my life but I can do a weighted one pretty good.

Yeah those stay on better, light ones sometimes just fly off.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    I used to LOVE doing the weighted hula hoops at the gym! Then the membership fees went up and I had to cancel my card. I keep looking at fitness/sports stores, but they're like $50 and I can't afford that...

As for logging it, you'll need a heart rate monitor, sorry...

Oh and to those of you that have made one, can anyone tell me how to do that? I need like step by step directions or I'm never going to understand. :P
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    I used to LOVE doing the weighted hula hoops at the gym! Then the membership fees went up and I had to cancel my card. I keep looking at fitness/sports stores, but they're like $50 and I can't afford that...

As for logging it, you'll need a heart rate monitor, sorry...

Oh and to those of you that have made one, can anyone tell me how to do that? I need like step by step directions or I'm never going to understand. :P

Whoops, someone answered it already!
  • Thank you for posting the make your own hula hoop link! I have been wanting to get a hula hoop, but my husband is always asking why, even though I told him I wanted one for exercise. Maybe he will be up for making me one! Ha ha.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,249 Member
    I heard of these and was thinking about purchasing one.....Anything that can give me a hr glass figure I am willing to try...Thanks for the reminder...