Workout Calories

Options
I noticed after a workout the cals I burn are added back onto my daily caloric intake. Should I be eating back what I just burned off? It seems like it defeats the purpose. I want to lose weight so shouldn't I not add those calories back into my day?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Do a search on "eating back exercise calories"

You are going to get a gazillion answers and then usually a fight breaks out.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    If you need some, eat some. If not, leave them alone.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I believe the usual answer is: Eat if you're hungry. There's no hard and fast 'rule', just whatever works for you :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Since it's still on page one of the boards, I'm going to point you here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/636086-eating-back-exercise-calories-for-those-who-don-t-get-it

Lots of good information, lots of conflicting information. You won't find a definitive answer around here.
  • catshively
    Options
    Those are calories you can eat (or not) in addition to your daily calorie deficit. If you don't eat those calories I imagine you would lose weight a little faster but it won't hurt you if you do eat some of them because your plan accounts for that.
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Eat the ones you need. Leave the rest alone.

This is what I do. I just wish the remainder would "roll over" to my rest days, dang it!
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options

I have popcorn and beer!!!

*getting front row seat!*
  • robharlan
    robharlan Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Pass me the salt and let the show begin.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I noticed after a workout the cals I burn are added back onto my daily caloric intake. Should I be eating back what I just burned off? It seems like it defeats the purpose. I want to lose weight so shouldn't I not add those calories back into my day?

MyFitnessPal sets you at a specific caloric deficit to lose weight at a specific pace.

- To lose weight at the pace you set, eat back the exercise calories you burn.
    - To take a chance at losing weight faster, but running an increased risk of plateaus, feeling hungry or tired, not feeding your body properly and getting all the nutrition your more-active body needs, and a bunch of other possibilities that are the subject of myriad arguments, don't eat them back.

Also understand that MFP frequently overestimates calorie burn on exercise, so you might not want to eat ALL of them back. Once you get your fats, carbohydrates, and proteins in balance, get sodium and sugar under control, and start drinking lots of water, your body starts getting pretty good at telling you what you need.

Also understand that everything on the site is an estimate.

I'd suggest eating back about half to three quarters of your exercise calories to start. If you aren't losing weight after a few weeks, go from there - if you're always feeling tired and hungry, eat a little more. If you are able to do really good workouts and don't feel tired or hungry, eat a little less.

You choose. I eat them back, but I hope you find what works for you.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    You won't find a definitive answer around here.

You will on the site's design and the way it is intended to be used. The whole point is to eat them back, and that's what the site designers had in mind.

However, adults get to decide for themselves and not eat them back if they choose. For some, it seems to work out well. For others like me, not so much.

But it's good to experiment (within reason), because you learn more about your body that way, and the only way to maintain your weight long-term is to learn what works for you.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Slowly packing out of door....
  • jeanschweiger
    jeanschweiger Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you input. I will experiment a little bit and see what works. :)
  • zacksnana
    Options

Well that was a letdown. Should we ask which is heavier- muscle or fat?
  • robharlan
    Options

Well that was a letdown. Should we ask which is heavier- muscle or fat?
    Well I heard machine workouts were better than free weights
  • zacksnana
    Options
    Yaay!!

Grabbing chairs and popcorn!! Someone just started a new thread!!
    "confused about workout calories!!"

I will save you a seat!
  • jeanschweiger
    Options
    yay for sarcasm
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • zacksnana
    Options
    I think people who don't eat all their workout calories have a hard time understanding fun and good humor.
  • jeanschweiger
    Options
    certainly not this girl!! I love GOOD humor lol
  • robharlan
    Options
    Without humor where would we be? Well we would all probably be where we are, it just wouldn't be as fun.